Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

IDW Publishing December Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Sep 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old November 16 2013, 02:13 AM   #421
SeerSGB
Admiral

View SeerSGB's Twitter Profile
Re: Orci, Kurtzman and Lindelof should not Return.

BillJ wrote: View Post
Shaka Zulu wrote: View Post
What's whit all of the Next Generation hate? The show still has a lot of fans, and many ladies still love both Crusher and Troi.
It's not hate, just a fact. Crusher and Troi did little of note in the TNG films and Troi was mostly useless during the series run.
First Contact *grrrrr* Lily's role could have been handed off to Crusher. Take the Briefing Room scene, now have Crusher making the same arguments as Lily and Picard flipping out on Beverly...that's a better scene.

Insurrection: Have Crusher siding with the Son'a. She's a Doctor in a bloody war and here's a race handing her the tools to save billions of lives? Fuck the Baku.
SeerSGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16 2013, 02:36 AM   #422
Shaka Zulu
Fleet Captain

SeerSGB wrote: View Post
Insurrection: Have Crusher siding with the Son'a. She's a Doctor in a bloody war and here's a race handing her the tools to save billions of lives? Fuck the Baku.

I know that the Baku are reviled universally for being too all-white and cute for words, but fucking them over for the S'ona and the long-life thing? That's cold.

Plus, the war in question was over before the movie began.
Shaka Zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16 2013, 02:43 AM   #423
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

I know that the Baku are reviled universally for being too all-white and cute for words, but fucking them over for the S'ona and the long-life thing? That's cold.

Actually, most people place Insurrection somewhere in the middle of DS9 season seven.

Plus, the movie would've been more interesting if there had been some divide among the crew.
Old November 16 2013, 02:51 AM   #424
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

What's whit all of the Next Generation hate? The show still has a lot of fans, and many ladies still love both Crusher and Troi.
It's not hate, just a fact. Crusher and Troi did little of note in the TNG films and Troi was mostly useless during the series run.
First Contact *grrrrr* Lily's role could have been handed off to Crusher. Take the Briefing Room scene, now have Crusher making the same arguments as Lily and Picard flipping out on Beverly...that's a better scene.
And there by lose the interesting thing about the scene being a mid 21st century post WWIII person calling the oh so evolved better 24th century captain out on his hypocrisy.
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16 2013, 02:54 AM   #425
SeerSGB
Admiral

* Isn't just long life, it's a vitality needed medical technology that could cure billions.

* Dominion War ended in 2375 and Insurrection is in 2375. This was the tail end of a war that had seen Federation worlds attacked (including Earth) in some cases invaded (Betazed), thousands (millions?) of lives lost, who knows many more wounded soldiers and civilian casualties, and dozens of worlds facing rebuilding efforts...yeah, fuck the Baku.

The Baku were not native to the planet or the patch, and immortality of the rings was a lucky accident for them. Fuck 'em.
Old November 16 2013, 03:47 AM   #426
BigJake
Rear Admiral

It's not hate, just a fact.
Hold on to that feeling, brother. Cherish it, get acquainted with it, inhabit it, love it.

You now understand Abramstrek "haters" from within. It's almost like being a Betazoid. You're welcome.
Old November 16 2013, 03:57 AM   #427
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

* Isn't just long life, it's a vitality needed medical technology that could cure billions.

* Dominion War ended in 2375 and Insurrection is in 2375. This was the tail end of a war that had seen Federation worlds attacked (including Earth) in some cases invaded (Betazed), thousands (millions?) of lives lost, who knows many more wounded soldiers and civilian casualties, and dozens of worlds facing rebuilding efforts...yeah, fuck the Baku.
Wasn't the federation basically winning the war at that point?

The Baku were not native to the planet or the patch, and immortality of the rings was a lucky accident for them. Fuck 'em.
They still have a better claim to it then a government that didn't even exist when the colonized it.
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16 2013, 04:03 AM   #428
SeerSGB
Admiral

Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post

Wasn't the federation basically winning the war at that point?

They still have a better claim to it then a government that didn't even exist when the colonized it.
Depends on where Insurrection actually gets placed. And doesn't matter, we're still talking about massive about of damage and rebuilding needing to be undertaken.

I actually enjoy Insurrection, but there's some glaring problems with the story. Not the least of which is the crew blindly following Picard.
Old November 16 2013, 09:32 AM   #429
J. Allen
Science Is Magic™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post

And there by lose the interesting thing about the scene being a mid 21st century post WWIII person calling the oh so evolved better 24th century captain out on his hypocrisy.
Not only that, but that also means replacing Alfre Woodard with Gates McFadden. To add, that means replacing Alfre Woodard with Gates McFadden. Alfre, as Lilly, holds her own for every single second of screen time she gets. She's damn near flawless (IMO, of course), and I think replacing her with the doctor is a step in the wrong direction. I like Gates McFadden, she's a good actress, and she's good with props, but holy tribble sex on a bunsen burner, she has nowhere near the screen presence of Alfre Woodard. I think it would have fallen flat with Crusher confronting Picard.
Brony Kingdom
J. Allen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 16 2013, 09:42 AM   #430
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

Replacing Alfre Woodard would be AWFUL!! And replacing her with boring Beverly would turn that scene into Picared/Crusher foreplay and it would be absolutely DULL. DULL. DULL. Lily and Cochrane are great not just because of the actors but because we need to be looking at NEW PEOPLE not the same old same old(er) crew we've been looking at for 7 seasons already.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16 2013, 09:49 AM   #431
MakeshiftPython
Captain

I think it's too bad Crusher got the least amount of things to do in these films (In NEMESIS, her very last line is 40 mins before the film even ended!). However, I'm having a hard time trying to see what they could have done with her. McFadden really wasn't that great of an actress. She worked in small doses, but she never held her own for me and having her replace Lily would have lost so much of the power the scenes had.

As for Troi, I liked that moment where she got drunk in FIRST CONTACT. Most of the time she's written as stuffy, so to see her loosen up one of the few times was a real delight and you can tell Sirtis was having a real ball with it.
MakeshiftPython is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16 2013, 09:52 AM   #432
teacake
Admiral

I enjoyed Troi in VOY and FC and that's the only time I've enjoyed her. I wish they loosened her up more, very true about the stuffiness.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old November 16 2013, 10:06 AM   #433
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

BigJake wrote: View Post
and you nearly have MagicBlood that is arguably just as ill-conceived as nuKhan-vintage MagicBlood in nuTrek.
Is now a good time to mention my work colleague who was just recently one of six people, in an international clinical trial, in which a serum distilled from her own blood was used to repair a persistent ankle injury that she has carried for decades?

Yay for magic blood in 2013 - and who can even guess at what it might be able to do in the 23rd century.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16 2013, 10:09 AM   #434
teacake
Admiral

Yeah it's a lot less ridiculous than a gazillion other medical magics from Trek.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old November 16 2013, 05:12 PM   #435
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Like "McCoy's Magic Kidney Pills". Guarantee to grow you a new kidney in minutes or your money back!
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote