RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,695
Members: 24,829
Currently online: 469
Newest member: 713brianp27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old November 13 2013, 02:18 AM   #286
SeerSGB
Admiral

View SeerSGB's Twitter Profile
Re: Orci, Kurtzman and Lindelof should not Return.

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Timewalker wrote: View Post
So you're saying that Khan had to be played by a white actor wearing brown make-up, who speaks with a Spanish accent on the grounds of consistency?
Don't be obtuse.
Sarcasm ( something even Spock would recognize) and a touch of hyperbole to point out the absurdity of your statement. Which you've kindly reiterated below

So yes to brown face and a Spanish accent for character who's supposed to be a Sikh and an Indian?

No, the writers and producers of "Space Seed" were idiots. They wrote the line about Khan being a Sikh, yet ignored the recommendations of DeForest Research about proper Sikh names and appearance (Khan and Noonien are not Sikh names and nothing about Khan's appearance says Sikh or even Indian).

I guess they figured the audience was too dumb to notice.

That would require the entirety of Sikh culture to have vanished without a trace. So yeah, implausible for a trained historian to get it wrong. Especially one seemingly enamored with the 20th Century,

3. Greg Cox did such a wonderful job with his Khan trilogy, I don't even think about what skin tone Ricardo Montalban really was (in fact, I never knew he was any tone other than those he portrayed in "Space Seed" or Bonanza until I saw him on Fantasy Island)
. The first two books were fanwankery to the extreme. The third book was excellent.

Set Hart wrote:
He can be an ethnic Sikh without being a practicing Sikh. His surname implies that he is most likely ethnically Sikh.
Which doesn't explain how Marla would know he's a Sikh on sight, when she doesn't know his name.

All male Sikhs adopt the name "Singh", so no matter what name Khan was born with. it would have changed to "Singh" when becoming a Sikh. My speculation is "Khan Noonien Singh" is not his real name, but one he took upon his rise to power. Khan to appeal to the Muslim population and Singh to appeal to Hindus and Sikhs. No clue about Noonien. Maybe it appeals to Buddhists.
Hell, maybe "Noonien" comes from the name of one of the scientist. Another Soong family member.
SeerSGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13 2013, 02:27 AM   #287
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Since Khan ruled by intimidation and conquest (like all Augments did), why would he have cared about "appealing" to any group? His kind *forced* people to accept his rule, they logically did not have to care about whether they had appealing names.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13 2013, 02:28 AM   #288
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

SeerSGB wrote: View Post

All male Sikhs adopt the name "Singh", so no matter what name Khan was born with. it would have changed to "Singh" when becoming a Sikh. My speculation is "Khan Noonien Singh" is not his real name, but one he took upon his rise to power. Khan to appeal to the Muslim population and Singh to appeal to Hindus and Sikhs. No clue about Noonien. Maybe it appeals to Buddhists.
Hell, maybe "Noonien" comes from the name of one of the scientist. Another Soong family member.
Ah yes, "Noonien Soong", played by that famous Chinese actor Brent Spiner.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13 2013, 02:28 AM   #289
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Since Khan ruled by intimidation and conquest (like all Augments did), why would he have cared about "appealing" to any group? His kind *forced* people to accept his rule, they logically did not have to care about whether they had appealing names.

Just watch Space Seed, he's a wooer. He a Dukat. He wants to be loved, though he will force people to do so if they resist.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13 2013, 02:42 AM   #290
BigJake
Rear Admiral

iguana_tonante wrote: View Post
Marketing-wise, there was no way they were going to do a "revenge of the augment" plot and not have John Harrison be Khan.
Yeah, no doubt. Especially given the kind of thinking that Lindelof revealed in his quote about having to be saving the Earth if you spend more than $100 million.

teacake wrote:
Just watch Space Seed, he's a wooer.
One of the things that made him so fascinating, for sure. Can't readily think of another TOS villain who can (almost) out-seduce Kirk.
Old November 13 2013, 03:00 AM   #291
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Marla was a bit of an easy mark. On the other hand, Scotty and Kirk almost fell under his spell.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Old November 13 2013, 03:04 AM   #292
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Lindelof is full of shit. Look at Avatar, man.

That insecurity current producers suffer from is ridiculous. Maybe put a big fucking BMW logo on the Enterprise, because market research shows that's what the target audience wants to see (official reason why John McClane steals a BMW in Die Hard 4.0).
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13 2013, 03:38 AM   #293
BigJake
Rear Admiral

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Lindelof is full of shit. Look at Avatar, man.
QFT.

But I do take his comment to be an indication of the pressures from the money men on the writing staff of the last couple of Trek films. Cameron had to build massive clout in the industry before he could get Avatar made, no doubt because of exactly that kind of thinking... which is still skittish about SF period.
Old November 13 2013, 03:44 AM   #294
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

BigJake wrote:
Especially given the kind of thinking that Lindelof revealed in his quote about having to be saving the Earth if you spend more than $100 million.
So, more saving the Earth next time. Yay.
Old November 13 2013, 03:49 AM   #295
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

You guys read a lot of comments and interviews. Not sure I've ever read a comment by Lindlelof ( or Orci, Kurtzman, Abrams et al ) unless it was quoted here.
Old November 13 2013, 03:53 AM   #296
BigJake
Rear Admiral

Set Harth wrote: View Post
I'm still betting "centre of the galaxy" for the next one.

Nerys Myk wrote:
You guys read a lot of comments and interviews.
Actually that Lindelof comment is from a podcast someone linked in a thread here about a week back.
Old November 13 2013, 03:56 AM   #297
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

So over saving the earth. Let it die already.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13 2013, 04:18 AM   #298
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

BigJake wrote: View Post
Set Harth wrote: View Post
I'm still betting "centre of the galaxy" for the next one.

Nerys Myk wrote:
You guys read a lot of comments and interviews.
Actually that Lindelof comment is from a podcast someone linked in a thread here about a week back.
I'm not into the podcast thing either. My interest in the "Man behind the curtain" has waned a lot as I've grown older.
Old November 13 2013, 04:36 AM   #299
SeerSGB
Admiral

View SeerSGB's Twitter Profile

teacake wrote: View Post
So over saving the earth. Let it die already.
Earth is so overhyped in Trek. "Federation of hundreds of world, dozens of lifeforms...Humans and Earth must be protected at all costs! They're the center of the universe!"

Say what I will about Enterprise at times, but I give 'em credit for actually having an enemy that showed up and bitch slapped the Earth. My mistake was thinking that they'd actually take the risk and have Earth get nuked--if even for a few episode.

I would throw money at the screen if we got one movie, one episode, were the rest of the Federation didn't treat humanity like something special and let Earth and humanity twist in the wind.
SeerSGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13 2013, 04:38 AM   #300
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

All this Earth hate makes me want to join Terra Prime,