Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old November 20 2013, 01:57 AM   #106
CorporalClegg
Admiral

Re: Would you like for Chapel to appear in a new movie?

teacake wrote: View Post
Well we're gender bending the main cast in the Future of Trek forum so you can ship K/S/M if you want AND have it be all about girls.
Yes please.
Old November 20 2013, 02:04 AM   #107
Cara007
Lieutenant

M'Sharak wrote: View Post
As always, let's keep the discussion about movies, characters, writing, and the like, and try not to make this about other fans or fan groups.

Also: Cara007, there had to be a way you could have made your points in this post without resorting to the use of derogatory language, even if not used as a direct insult. Please be more careful about that in the future; any further such instances may result in warnings being issued.
Thanks for the warning. I was not too sure of the other F word, I will be careful next time.

borgboy: No I did not mean any harm. The only reason why I did not use the N word was because it has way more of a bad history especially with slavery. I just thought the word was light years more offensive than the other F word.

Last edited by Cara007; November 20 2013 at 02:14 AM.
Cara007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20 2013, 03:05 AM   #108
Use of Time
Commodore

Ok what does shipping mean?

[ducks]
Old November 20 2013, 03:14 AM   #109
teacock
Admiral

It comes from the word relationship. It means who you would like in fiction to be in a relationship. So in Voyager fandom you have the J/C shippers who were rooting for Janeway and Chakotay to end up togther and the J/7 shippers who were rooting for Janeway and 7 to end up together. People refer to themselves as shippers sometimes to indicate that is a big part of their fandom interests.

Even though I have two shipping preferences (J/7 and K/S) I don't call myself a shipper because I'm not really into relationships in fiction much, or romance.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 20 2013, 03:17 AM   #110
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Am I the only one thinking this thread is now officially a train wreck?
Old November 20 2013, 03:18 AM   #111
borgboy
Fleet Captain

Cara007 wrote: View Post
M'Sharak wrote: View Post
As always, let's keep the discussion about movies, characters, writing, and the like, and try not to make this about other fans or fan groups.

Also: Cara007, there had to be a way you could have made your points in this post without resorting to the use of derogatory language, even if not used as a direct insult. Please be more careful about that in the future; any further such instances may result in warnings being issued.
Thanks for the warning. I was not too sure of the other F word, I will be careful next time.

borgboy: No I did not mean any harm. The only reason why I did not use the N word was because it has way more of a bad history especially with slavery. I just thought the word was light years more offensive than the other F word.
I'm not going to debate which word is worse. They're both hateful slurs, and regardless of which word is worse, they're both not appropriate to be used, especially in a public forum.
I'll take your word that you didn't mean any harm. Unfortuantely, sometimes people can offend and hurt other people without intent when they don't think about what they're saying. There are times when I have to put up with that kind of hate talk because to challenge it would be putting my safety and well being at risk, but nobody should have to hear that kind of talk here.
On the subject of gender swap, I remember years ago reading an offical Star Trek short story, not unlicenced fan fic, where the Enterprise crew is gender swapped for some bizarre reason, except for Spock, and it was pretty clear that he was attracted to lady Kirk. I wish I knew what that was from, it would be from the 70s or 80s. I'm amazed that got published, but like the slash-tastic novel Killing Time, these things slipped thru now and then.
I ship a lot of characters. Kirk and Spock, Troi and Riker, Picard and Beverly, Calhoun and Shelby. I'm not quite to the point where I think of myself as a Spock/Uhura shipper yet, but I'm warming up to them. If their relationship is handled well in the next movie I might get there.
Funny enough, I just started watching my new TOS blu rays, and I was pleasantly surprised by how flirtacious Uhura is with Spock in The Man Trap. And then Spock gets borderline emotional when the salt vampire attacks Kirk. Something for everybody
Old November 20 2013, 03:43 AM   #112
Dr. Sevrin
Vice Admiral

borgboy wrote: View Post
On the subject of gender swap, I remember years ago reading an offical Star Trek short story, not unlicenced fan fic, where the Enterprise crew is gender swapped for some bizarre reason, except for Spock, and it was pretty clear that he was attracted to lady Kirk. I wish I knew what that was from, it would be from the 70s or 80s. I'm amazed that got published, but like the slash-tastic novel Killing Time, these things slipped thru now and then.

During that time period, there were two books published by Pocket (or whoever held the license) that were collections of fan fiction, under the titles New Voyages and New Voyages II. I think the editors were Marshak and Culbreath, but I can't connect to Memory Alpha to confirm. Could that be where you read it?
Old November 20 2013, 03:49 AM   #113
borgboy
Fleet Captain

That sounds very likely. I log ago lost the book, I was a kid when I read it, but I'll try to track down a new copy. Thanks!
Old November 20 2013, 03:50 AM   #114
teacock
Admiral

Someone posted a gender swap TOS comic (licensed) pic recently.. somewhere in this BBS Girl Kirk was wearing the green wrap around shirt as a short dress, it was rather fetching.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old November 20 2013, 04:03 AM   #115
borgboy
Fleet Captain

I'd love to see that if anybody can help me figure out where it is in the forums. What's the comic's name? I've just started collecting the IDW comics, but I haven't seen that.
Old November 20 2013, 04:07 AM   #116
teacock
Admiral

I will look.. I think it was posted in whatever thread generated the idea for the gender swap thread..

edit: can't find it. I will ask the thread.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old November 20 2013, 04:18 AM   #117
Creepy Critter
Admiral

It comes from the word relationship. It means who you would like in fiction to be in a relationship. So in Voyager fandom you have the J/C shippers who were rooting for Janeway and Chakotay to end up togther and the J/7 shippers who were rooting for Janeway and 7 to end up together. People refer to themselves as shippers sometimes to indicate that is a big part of their fandom interests.

Even though I have two shipping preferences (J/7 and K/S) I don't call myself a shipper because I'm not really into relationships in fiction much, or romance.
So would Scotty/Enterprise be considered a ship?
Old November 20 2013, 04:32 AM   #118
borgboy
Fleet Captain

I wouldn't have thought of that, but I'm sure somebody somewhere writes Scotty/Enterprise romantic fiction, so sure, whatever.
Old November 20 2013, 09:36 AM   #119
Pauln6
Rear Admiral

Pauln6 wrote: View Post
Lol. I go away for a couple of days and all hell breaks loose. Whatever happened to good old fashioned bisexual characters? The only thing wrong with Ivanova/Talia was that due to Andrea Thompson wanting to leave they shoe-horned the whole sexual element into just one episode and weakened its story impact.
But it's fun to rewatch and look for the subtext
This is it in a nutshell for me. If you put in stuff that's open to interpretation, the fans will run with it in whatever direction suits them and in some ways that's far more fun! Kirk/Spock speaks for itself - lol.

If Rand were to feature more heavily, all I'd want is the odd furtive glance or intake of breath. The fans would know what it was about. No need to waste dialogue or plot time on it, just a wink. If Trek goes gay, that would be enough for me as well.

Phase II did a nice gay plot point and it actually wasn't bad but there was a bedroom scene that went on waaaay too long. The best bit was one of the opening lines:

"Guess who?"
"Mr Sulu?"
"You wish."

Other Worlds Role Playing Game
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/produc...ducts_id=97631
Pauln6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 20 2013, 10:01 AM   #120
teacock
Admiral

Oh My.

(I guess that was rather obvious.. )

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne