RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,667
Members: 24,818
Currently online: 420
Newest member: Thomas Eugene

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old October 31 2013, 10:34 PM   #1
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

The Orion Syndicate

In DS9 we were introduced to the mysterious Orion Syndicate, which seemed to have its fingers in every shady type of business there was. Surprising we never saw any Orions.

Then in ENT the Syndicate seems to be the name by which the Orion territory/government is known and is, as you'd expect, filled with Orions.

Personally I always thought of the OS as a crime cartel, men and women out doing business of all kinds with many different people. It may have started out as just Orions but over time expanded to include many different species. When I consider the Syndicate, that's how I like to envision it.

Anyone else prefer it as such, or do you like it the other way?
Old October 31 2013, 10:44 PM   #2
Melakon
Vice Admiral

Re: The Orion Syndicate

I do wish the Orions had been developed more, as far back as TOS. All we really knew of them for decades was their women were hot, and the government pretended to be neutral on political matters while plotting covert assassination attempts. The Syndicate might have originated as an official government entity and spread outward.
Old October 31 2013, 10:45 PM   #3
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Yeah I liked the concept of Trek having a mysterious mob of it's own. Kinda what the Ferengi should've been if they were done properly.
Old November 1 2013, 05:22 PM   #4
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

QUARK: I want you to get this fuck where he breathes! I want you to find this nancy-boy Ben Sisko, I want him dead! I want his family dead! I want his house burned to the ground! I wanna go there in the middle of the night and I wanna piss on his ashes!

The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 1 2013, 05:39 PM   #5
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Bry_Sinclair wrote: View Post
In DS9 we were introduced to the mysterious Orion Syndicate, which seemed to have its fingers in every shady type of business there was. Surprising we never saw any Orions.
Perhaps we did. Way back in FASA's Orion RPG booklets, they postulated three colours - green, tan and grey. The tan Orions' skin tones range from Orange to Caucasian-human.
Then in ENT the Syndicate seems to be the name by which the Orion territory/government is known and is, as you'd expect, filled with Orions.
Or rather, the Syndicate representative introduced himself as if he represented the people.

I personally see the Syndicate as the criminal organization and the Orion Union (the name used on a star chart graphic in Into Darkness) as the official Orion government.
Old November 1 2013, 06:20 PM   #6
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Bry_Sinclair wrote: View Post
Maybe it's like the "Five Families" in the old days of the mafia in New York City, they divided up the city and each had their own territory.

T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1 2013, 07:39 PM   #7
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

I really like what ENT did with the Orions, having the slave women really be the masters.

I disagree the Ferengi should have been the mobsters, I think they should have been more like smart amoral businessmen. Like, Mitt Romney types.

But I like the idea of a crime syndicate in the Trek universe.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2013, 01:22 AM   #8
SiddFinch1
Commander

You have to be Orion to be a made man. The other species just are lowly soldiers
Old November 9 2013, 06:59 PM   #9
publiusr
Commodore

The concept of the Triangle was really well thought out. FASA's Mos Eisley, or Mare Inebrium
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10 2013, 03:51 AM   #10
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

Anyone know why we didn't see actual Orions in DS9?

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10 2013, 06:08 AM   #11
R. Star
Rear Admiral

teacake wrote: View Post
Anyone know why we didn't see actual Orions in DS9?
They were mentioned enough times. Dukat made numerous references to Orion slave girls. The one episode we see the Syndicate on is set on Farius, so it's kinda natural it seems the Farians are taking point there.

As for the Syndicate? Who knows, it might've been started by Orions, but hardly seems limited to... wouldn't be the first misnomer in history.

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
QUARK: I want you to get this fuck where he breathes! I want you to find this nancy-boy Ben Sisko, I want him dead! I want his family dead! I want his house burned to the ground! I wanna go there in the middle of the night and I wanna piss on his ashes!

One, Quark would be after Odo first... two, not every member of the mob are tough guys. For every thug breaking your thumbs, for every gangmaster calling the shots, there are the people who enable the system across the board. Really though, by the time Quark came into things the damage was already done though. This mentality would've had to start in The Battle or the Last Outpost.
Old November 10 2013, 06:15 AM   #12
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

Oh I know it's not limited to Orions. I was just wondering why they didn't want to show us an actual Orion since they had a whole episode about the Syndicate.. it would have been a popular move.

And that's a quote there from Nerys Myk..

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne

Last edited by teacake; November 10 2013 at 07:38 AM.
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10 2013, 06:32 AM   #13
R. Star
Rear Admiral

I for one loved it when Brunt showed up with a couple of Nausican thugs that one episode to beat on Quark with.