RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 147,093
Members: 26,070
Currently online: 555
Newest member: KlingonButtWine

TrekToday headlines

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy All your nerd stuff goes here.

Old November 5 2013, 04:37 PM   #31
NightJim
Commander

View NightJim's Twitter Profile
Re: Highlander II unused ideas

I really liked the cartoon, it's actually what really made me a fan of the franchise. It's practically a reboot in and of its self.

Source was what managed to turn me off it. It really can't be stressed how bad that film is. Doesn't Duncan spend most of it without a sword? Talk about missing the point.
NightJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2013, 05:27 PM   #32
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

sojourner wrote: View Post
Noddy wrote: View Post
Was The Source really that bad?
No, it was worse.
Hell even the film makers must have thought it sucked since they included a freaking recap of the film in the last few seconds.
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2013, 06:43 PM   #33
Saga
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Saga Send a message via Yahoo to Saga

there was also an anime film. Highlander: The Search for Vengeance. doesn't tie in with the movie or tv characters, but i thought it was very enjoyable.
Saga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10 2013, 01:03 PM   #34
Noddy
Captain

I've wondered if one reason Endgame and The Source may not have been very big successes is that they were targeted more at those familiar with the TV show, and those who'd only seen the previous movies would have felt a bit in the dark.
Noddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10 2013, 03:50 PM   #35
Triskelion
Rear Admiral

I think a good example of a TV series villain is Gul Dukat. He is a very reasonable and has a lot of conviction; he's charismatic and you can see that he is trying to do "the right thing" as he sees it. You can follow his line of reasoning. Of course, his right thing has a fatal flaw, but he continually raises questions about going too far - something that Starfleet captains like Sisko and Janeway do on occasion, as well. For example, Janeway torturing a crewman of the Equinox, or Sisko tricking Eddington by threatening a population.

So a good villain raises constant confrontations of these biases from different points of view. IE, the best villians are almost heroic and relatable. Star Trek 2009's Nero was based on plain masculine revenge, and not the type of character you'd ever have to see again - almost anyone will do. Substitute any random Klingon, change name of planets, plot is basically the same.

No, I think the best villains are sympathetic right up to a point they make a wrong choice. (Predator & Alien notwithstanding).

In Highlander, some of my favorite villains were actually friends of Duncan's.
Triskelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10 2013, 09:44 PM   #36
Caretaker
Commodore

View Caretaker's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Caretaker Send a message via AIM to Caretaker

I never understood the obsession with post-apocalyptic Highlander (The Quickening, The Animated Series, The Search for Vengeance, The Source). My preference is more of the historical fiction version of the franchise and more reality-based. To each their own, I guess.

Caretaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2013, 01:36 AM   #37
Reverend
Rear Admiral

To my mind one of the biggest problems with any attempted continuation of 'Highlander' is the title. You pretty much have to make it about Conner, or some other Scottsman who also happens to be immortal. I mean you could hardly make it about any of another nationality, it just wouldn't make sense. It'd be like making a movie called "The Karate Kid" where the kid learns Kung Fu......oh wait.

As for the post apocalypse thing, I think I see the reason. I mean you're either going to show the past, which can get a bit gimmicky after a while--the present, in which people running around with katannas and broadswords rather stresses credibility--or they can do the future. Now if it was a utopian future, then there'd be no point, but a post apocalyptic setting is rather the best of both worlds. Time has still past and yet technology can regress back to a point where swords are a viable weapon again and the world is back to being big and dangerous.
Reverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2013, 07:50 AM   #38
Dick Whitman
Fleet Captain

The basic concept is flawed. I doubt think a reboot that is recognizable will matter either. The original was a self contained story. With a defined ending. All the rules that have defined all the Highlander movies and the series which was designed for a single survivor. When you starting pulling apart the different rules it makes no sense.
Dick Whitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2013, 06:03 PM   #39
Noddy
Captain

I personally would love to have seen an idea conceived for the first Highlander movie: After MacLeod decapitates the Kurgan, a kind of magical energy dragon emerges from the Kurgan's body and continues to fight MacLeod until he defeats it. Only then does he gain the Prize. Sadly, this was cut, apparently due to budget concerns. I reckon it would've been awesome though.
Old November 11 2013, 06:13 PM   #40
sojourner
Admiral

^Nah, I hate video game style "bonus round" endings to fights.
Old November 11 2013, 09:04 PM   #41
Noddy
Captain

Can anyone tell me exactly what it was about The Source that was so awful?
Old November 11 2013, 09:08 PM   #42
Reverend
Rear Admiral

^ I haven't seen it, but from what I gather exactly everything was wrong with it.
Reverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2013, 11:11 PM   #43
sojourner
Admiral

Poorly shot, poorly written, poorly acted, poorly conceived.
Old November 12 2013, 12:39 AM   #44
Mark_Nguyen
Commodore

They take the entire Highlander TV franchise, take the worst bowel movement you can imagine all over it, then serve it to you with a glass of expired milk, knowing you're lactose intolerant. I can't imagine any of the actors, even Adrian Paul, liking what the movie did to their characters, nor anyone who ever wrote for the TV show liking what the hell happened to the Highlander world they wrote for six or so seasons.

Ah, here we go:

http://spoonyexperiment.com/2010/12/...source-review/

Mark

Oh, I like that Trek thing too...
Mark_Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12 2013, 03:33 AM   #45
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

sojourner wrote: View Post
Poorly shot, poorly written, poorly acted, poorly conceived.
And so boring they give a recap of the film if you fell asleep watching it.
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote