RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,609
Posts: 5,405,032
Members: 24,869
Currently online: 583
Newest member: Engelbert

TrekToday headlines

Star Trek: Gold Key Archives Vol. 2 Comic
By: T'Bonz on Oct 1

Cumberbatch In War Of Roses Miniseries
By: T'Bonz on Oct 1

Trek 3 Filming Location Revealed
By: T'Bonz on Oct 1

October-November 2014 Trek Conventions And Appearances
By: T'Bonz on Sep 30

Cho Selfie TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Sep 30

TPTB To Shatner: Shhh!
By: T'Bonz on Sep 30

Mystery Mini Vinyl Figure Display Box
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

The Red Shirt Diaries Episode Five
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

Shatner In Trek 3? Well Maybe
By: T'Bonz on Sep 28

Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old November 11 2013, 08:44 PM   #31
Smellmet
Commander
 
Smellmet's Avatar
 
Location: Goole
Re: Will there be a new Star Trek movie?

[/QUOTE]

Eh, originality is overrated. Avenger's was brilliantly done.

[/QUOTE]

Originally never hurt The Matrix or Inception, a dose of the type of quality running through those two movies is what's needed for part 3
Smellmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2013, 09:31 PM   #32
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: Covington, Ky.
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Will there be a new Star Trek movie?

Smellmet wrote: View Post

Originally never hurt The Matrix or Inception, a dose of the type of quality running through those two movies is what's needed for part 3
Couldn't stand the second and third Matrix movies and while Inception was well done, it had zero rewatchability.
__________________
"I tell you what you all need, you need to take a thirteenth step, down off your high horse." - Hank Hill, King of the Hill
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2013, 04:51 AM   #33
RAMA
Vice Admiral
 
RAMA's Avatar
 
Location: NJ, USA
Re: Will there be a new Star Trek movie?

http://www.trektoday.com/content/201...t-we-did-well/

A sequel is basically confirmed, although we already knew this unofficially.

RAMA
__________________
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. Carl Sagan
RAMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2013, 02:13 PM   #34
Smellmet
Commander
 
Smellmet's Avatar
 
Location: Goole
Re: Will there be a new Star Trek movie?

BillJ wrote: View Post
Smellmet wrote: View Post

Originally never hurt The Matrix or Inception, a dose of the type of quality running through those two movies is what's needed for part 3
Couldn't stand the second and third Matrix movies and while Inception was well done, it had zero rewatchability.
Never mentioned the sequels (I happen to love all three) and got to disagree about Inception not being re-watchable - it's just a straight-out superbly crafted movie, what are you basing that on?

You're missing the point I was trying to make anyway - those two movies both had a serious edge and quality in spades - which is why I consider them both to be all-time sci-fi classics. STID, whilst being a hugely entertaining romp is riddled with bad writing, plot holes and too much fanwank, in my opinion the 3rd instalment needs to aim higher
Smellmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2013, 02:17 PM   #35
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: Covington, Ky.
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Will there be a new Star Trek movie?

Smellmet wrote: View Post

Never mentioned the sequels (I happen to love all three) and got to disagree about Inception not being re-watchable - it's just a straight-out superbly crafted movie, what are you basing that on?
That I've tried to rewatch it several times since originally seeing it in the theater and found myself either bored or asleep each time.

The same exact thing happens when I try to rewatch Avatar.
__________________
"I tell you what you all need, you need to take a thirteenth step, down off your high horse." - Hank Hill, King of the Hill
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2013, 02:53 PM   #36
Smellmet
Commander
 
Smellmet's Avatar
 
Location: Goole
Re: Will there be a new Star Trek movie?

We'll have to agree to disagree then I own all of the aforementioned movies on blu-ray and enjoy regular re-watches of all 4. What direction would you like to ST3 to take?
Smellmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2013, 02:57 PM   #37
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: Covington, Ky.
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Will there be a new Star Trek movie?

Smellmet wrote: View Post
We'll have to agree to disagree then I own all of the aforementioned movies on blu-ray and enjoy regular re-watches of all 4. What direction would you like to ST3 to take?
Planet-side (though not Earth) survival drama featuring the Borg.
__________________
"I tell you what you all need, you need to take a thirteenth step, down off your high horse." - Hank Hill, King of the Hill
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16 2013, 02:32 PM   #38
Smellmet
Commander
 
Smellmet's Avatar
 
Location: Goole
Re: Will there be a new Star Trek movie?

BillJ wrote: View Post
Smellmet wrote: View Post
We'll have to agree to disagree then I own all of the aforementioned movies on blu-ray and enjoy regular re-watches of all 4. What direction would you like to ST3 to take?
Planet-side (though not Earth) survival drama featuring the Borg.
Mixed feelings about this, as much as I'd like to see the Borg re-imagined like an unstoppable plague of locusts with modern effects, I think it would come across as too much of a cash-in, especially as they're not a TOS villain. I think ST3 will probably be about the Klingons and will be a political thriller/war with overtones of TUC, and I'm fine with that. Secretly though, I like your idea...
Smellmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16 2013, 04:38 PM   #39
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: Covington, Ky.
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Will there be a new Star Trek movie?

Smellmet wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post
Smellmet wrote: View Post
We'll have to agree to disagree then I own all of the aforementioned movies on blu-ray and enjoy regular re-watches of all 4. What direction would you like to ST3 to take?
Planet-side (though not Earth) survival drama featuring the Borg.
Mixed feelings about this, as much as I'd like to see the Borg re-imagined like an unstoppable plague of locusts with modern effects, I think it would come across as too much of a cash-in, especially as they're not a TOS villain. I think ST3 will probably be about the Klingons and will be a political thriller/war with overtones of TUC, and I'm fine with that. Secretly though, I like your idea...
There's part of me that wants an uplifting film about the human condition and our place in the universe. There's another part of me that wants a flick that is down and dirty with major casualties among the crew during an all-out battle with the Borg. Perhaps they all die? Having Spock Prime walk among the corpses at the end, wondering what will happen to the universe with them gone.

I'm complicated.
__________________
"I tell you what you all need, you need to take a thirteenth step, down off your high horse." - Hank Hill, King of the Hill
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:31 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.