RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,659
Members: 24,813
Currently online: 429
Newest member: SB118_Pavlova

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old November 1 2013, 05:47 AM   #16
Harbinger
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Will there be a new Star Trek movie?

Ovation wrote: View Post
php111 wrote: View Post
Hey, will there be a new Star Trek movie?
Yes.

If yes, what is the title of the movie called?
No idea.

When will it be released to theaters?
Probably summer 2016--50th anniversary and all.

With Star Trek (2009), Into Darkness (2013), and if there will be another Star Trek movie, are these a direct prequel/sequel like for example is Star Trek (2009) a sequel to Nemesis (2002), and Into Darkness a direct sequel to Star Trek (2009)? Thank you!
As Abrams' production company, Bad Robot, is contracted to produce the third film and (IIRC), Abrams will be a producer (though not director), I strongly suspect the film will be a direct sequel to Into Darkness.
Sorry if I'm misunderstanding, but by direct sequel you mean a movie that just takes place after the events of Into Darkness or as in a movie that will actually somehow tie strongly into, as in Khan returning for example?

I know a few people believe it will deal with a war with the Klingons based on events that happened. I'm kinda hoping that's not the case.
Harbinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1 2013, 03:32 PM   #17
CommanderRaytas
Rear Admiral

Romulan_spy wrote: View Post
Franklin wrote: View Post
Nothing's been green-lighted. Too soon. But Orci and others are at least throwing around ideas for a story right now, aren't they?
I hope they are. And I also hope we get something more original this time.
Not so sure about that. The formula seems to work fine the way it is. Not that I'm complaining, but even though I like both Abramsverse films a lot, I would personally welcome some more depth for the next one. But just look at scifi / fantasy / superhero flicks that do really well at the box office, such as The Avengers. It is entertaining and cool, but the plot is ridiculous and it has zero originality, as well as the creative depth of a petri dish.
CommanderRaytas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1 2013, 07:47 PM   #18
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

A director for Star Trek 3/XIII will be chosen soon!
He also took some time to talk about his work on the hotly anticipated "Star Trek 3." With franchise director J.J. Abrams working on "Star Wars: Episode VII," Orci revealed that he has met with a number of directors for the upcoming project and could make a pick one soon. "I've met with a few very good ones that I really like and we should be making a decision soon," he said.
I think that definitively answers the OP's question
Old November 1 2013, 08:40 PM   #19
php111
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thank you everyone!
php111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1 2013, 08:42 PM   #20
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Happy to help
Old November 1 2013, 11:05 PM   #21
Ovation
Vice Admiral

Location: La Belle Province or The Green Mountain State (depends on the day of the week)

Harbinger wrote: View Post
Ovation wrote: View Post
php111 wrote: View Post
Hey, will there be a new Star Trek movie?
Yes.

No idea.

Probably summer 2016--50th anniversary and all.

With Star Trek (2009), Into Darkness (2013), and if there will be another Star Trek movie, are these a direct prequel/sequel like for example is Star Trek (2009) a sequel to Nemesis (2002), and Into Darkness a direct sequel to Star Trek (2009)? Thank you!
As Abrams' production company, Bad Robot, is contracted to produce the third film and (IIRC), Abrams will be a producer (though not director), I strongly suspect the film will be a direct sequel to Into Darkness.
Sorry if I'm misunderstanding, but by direct sequel you mean a movie that just takes place after the events of Into Darkness or as in a movie that will actually somehow tie strongly into, as in Khan returning for example?

I know a few people believe it will deal with a war with the Klingons based on events that happened. I'm kinda hoping that's not the case.
I mean it will be set sometime after the events of Into Darkness (so not a prequel) and will be in the same universe as the two Abrams films (so a direct sequel--not a reboot).
Ovation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2013, 03:20 AM   #22
NeedleOfInquiry
Lieutenant Junior Grade

CommanderRaytas wrote: View Post
Romulan_spy wrote: View Post
Franklin wrote: View Post
Nothing's been green-lighted. Too soon. But Orci and others are at least throwing around ideas for a story right now, aren't they?
I hope they are. And I also hope we get something more original this time.
Not so sure about that. The formula seems to work fine the way it is. Not that I'm complaining, but even though I like both Abramsverse films a lot, I would personally welcome some more depth for the next one. But just look at scifi / fantasy / superhero flicks that do really well at the box office, such as The Avengers. It is entertaining and cool, but the plot is ridiculous and it has zero originality, as well as the creative depth of a petri dish.
Eh, originality is overrated. Avenger's was brilliantly done.

And to answer the question, yes, there will most certainly be a new Star Trek movie.
NeedleOfInquiry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2013, 03:42 AM   #23
Opus
Commodore

One thing's for sure - There won't not be a new Star Trek film.
Now that I've seen it, and have also had time to mellow, to really think about it, I now find it absolutely, unbearably repulsive in every way except for some of the acting. - about The Wrath of Khan. Interstat, Issue 62: 1982
Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2013, 05:06 AM   #24
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Yes there will. And I'm sure there are several posters who are eagerly awaiting the grading thread that will go up several weeks prior to the films premiere so they can go ahead and give it an 'F'.
Old November 2 2013, 05:20 AM   #25
Opus
Commodore

And will later see the film to only confirm they hated it, yes.
Now that I've seen it, and have also had time to mellow, to really think about it, I now find it absolutely, unbearably repulsive in every way except for some of the acting. - about The Wrath of Khan. Interstat, Issue 62: 1982
Old November 2 2013, 08:31 AM   #26
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

Opus wrote: View Post
And will later see the film to only confirm they hated it, yes.
I'm sure that a "friend" will buy the ticket...
Old November 2 2013, 04:57 PM   #27
Ovation
Vice Admiral

Location: La Belle Province or The Green Mountain State (depends on the day of the week)

Or procure them a…non-official version from…somewhere (so as to avoid making any financial contribution to the film's producers).
Ovation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2013, 11:08 PM   #28
thumbtack
Commodore

Orci/Kurtzman are signed. Lindelof dropped out, as he was under contract to personally showrun The Leftovers if it got picked up. Joe Cornish is playing hardball, but will likely direct.

Cast are all signed, and there is an unconfirmed rumor that Pine had to sign for Star Trek 4 to get the Jack Ryan job.

Production could start as early as next year.
Old November 7 2013, 02:33 PM   #29
Cara007
Lieutenant

um yes...duh!

is this a joke question?
Cara007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2013, 08:27 PM   #30
Opus
Commodore

FYI - Some noobs are ACTUALLY noobs and don't know stuff.

Just sayin'...