Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

IDW Publishing December Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Sep 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old October 31 2013, 12:57 PM   #1
php111
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Will there be a new Star Trek movie?

Hey, will there be a new Star Trek movie? If yes, what is the title of the movie called? When will it be released to theaters? With Star Trek (2009), Into Darkness (2013), and if there will be another Star Trek movie, are these a direct prequel/sequel like for example is Star Trek (2009) a sequel to Nemesis (2002), and Into Darkness a direct sequel to Star Trek (2009)? Thank you!
php111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2013, 01:30 PM   #2
Romulan_spy
Commodore

Re: Will there be a new Star Trek movie?

AFAIK, there is no info on a new Star Trek movie so anything is pure speculation at this point. Into Darkness did well enough at the box office that it is virtually assured there will be another Star Trek movie. It will be a sequel to STID since at this point, TPTB are going to run with the new JJ Abrams Trek. The prime timeline (Nemesis) is dead at this point. If I had to guess what the plot of the next Star Trek movie will be about, I would say it will probably involve lots of Klingons. STID seemed to be setting things up for a big Klingon/Federation war so we might see some of that. I wish the next Star Trek movie involved more science and science fiction, show us some of the 5 year mission of Kirk and co. but I doubt it. TPTB seem to focus on making the movies about the biggest baddest action possible because they know that is what sells.
Romulan_spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2013, 05:35 PM   #3
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

php111 wrote: View Post
Hey, will there be a new Star Trek movie? If yes, what is the title of the movie called? When will it be released to theaters? With Star Trek (2009), Into Darkness (2013), and if there will be another Star Trek movie, are these a direct prequel/sequel like for example is Star Trek (2009) a sequel to Nemesis (2002), and Into Darkness a direct sequel to Star Trek (2009)? Thank you!
Although nothing is confirmed yet, it's likely they'll have a new Trek movie starring the current crew ready for Trek's 50th anniversary in 2016. No word on the name.
Romulan_spy wrote: View Post
The prime timeline (Nemesis) is dead at this point.
Only in TV/film. TNG, DS9, VOY, ENT (and even the original TOS!) are still going strong in the monthly novels. The "present" is now 2385, seven years after Star Trek: Nemesis and a lot has happened.

There's also the low budget fan film Star Trek: Renegades, set in 2386 and starring many Voyager cast members, as well as Walter Koenig who plays an aged Admiral Chekov.
Old October 31 2013, 05:47 PM   #4
Franklin
Rear Admiral

Nothing's been green-lighted. Too soon. But Orci and others are at least throwing around ideas for a story right now, aren't they?
Old October 31 2013, 07:09 PM   #5
Romulan_spy
Commodore

Franklin wrote: View Post
Nothing's been green-lighted. Too soon. But Orci and others are at least throwing around ideas for a story right now, aren't they?
I hope they are. And I also hope we get something more original this time.
Romulan_spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2013, 07:13 PM   #6
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
Although nothing is confirmed yet, it's likely they'll have a new Trek movie starring the current crew ready for Trek's 50th anniversary in 2016. No word on the name.
If the last two movies are anything to go by, the title of the next one won't be announced until after filming and most of the post-production are complete. Ballpark guess: we'll know by late 2015 or early 2016 what to call it.
"Recently my 8 year-old cousin asked me, with a wicked twinkle in his eye, if I'd ever microwaved a banana. I'm terrified to try, but I'm sure whatever happens—splattering, abrupt, radioactive—sounds exactly like an Annie Clark guitar solo."
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2013, 07:30 PM   #7
Harbinger
Lieutenant Commander

If there is another Star Trek movie, it will almost certainly be a sequel to Into Darkness. That meaning, it will take place in the Alternate Universe and take place after those events. The likelihood of there being another movie, in my personal opinion, is 50/50. Into Darkness slightly underperformed domestically. I think it fared well overall but the studios make most of their money from the movie domestically. Abrams himself won't be attached to the new film because he's working on Star Wars but it will probably be his writers nonetheless.

Assuming the movie happens, expect it around 2016 - the 50th anniversary of Star Trek.
Harbinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2013, 07:35 PM   #8
Yanks
Fleet Captain

To answer your question, we don't know for certain.

All we know is this current cast of characters has been contracted for 3 movies and they have identified another director to replace JJ.
Old October 31 2013, 07:41 PM   #9
Harbinger
Lieutenant Commander

Yanks wrote: View Post

All we know is this current cast of characters has been contracted for 3 movies and they have identified another director to replace JJ.
So, does that mean they have announced a director?
Old October 31 2013, 07:43 PM   #10
MakeshiftPython
Captain

Nah, there won't be another film. It's all over, better look forward to something else.

MakeshiftPython is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2013, 07:57 PM   #11
php111
Lieutenant Junior Grade

I just seen all of the replies now. Thank you! I'm still not sure if the last two films by Abrams are a continuous sequence to the films from 1979-2002, so from I-X?
php111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2013, 08:47 PM   #12
Harbinger
Lieutenant Commander

I just seen all of the replies now. Thank you! I'm still not sure if the last two films by Abrams are a continuous sequence to the films from 1979-2002, so from I-X?
Well, the movie takes place because Spock attempts to save Romulus from a supernova and him and Nero getting pulled into a black hole in 2387 in the Prime Universe. This results in them both going back through time and creating a new one. So, in essence, it is in sequence. But, with the creation of the new universe we are now going forward from a now altered past.

In fact, the Abrams Star Trek is also sometimes called Star Trek XI with Into Darkness being called Star Trek XII.
Old October 31 2013, 10:17 PM   #13
Yanks
Fleet Captain

Harbinger wrote: View Post
Yanks wrote: View Post

So, does that mean they have announced a director?
Ooops, sorry. Rumored.

http://trekmovie.com/2013/09/12/j-j-...hing-official/
Old November 1 2013, 03:57 AM   #14
ChowdaHead
Lieutenant Commander

Harbinger wrote: View Post
If there is another Star Trek movie, it will almost certainly be a sequel to Into Darkness. That meaning, it will take place in the Alternate Universe and take place after those events. The likelihood of there being another movie, in my personal opinion, is 50/50. Into Darkness slightly underperformed domestically. I think it fared well overall but the studios make most of their money from the movie domestically. Abrams himself won't be attached to the new film because he's working on Star Wars but it will probably be his writers nonetheless.

Assuming the movie happens, expect it around 2016 - the 50th anniversary of Star Trek.
the odds are 99 percent, not 50/50. the 1 percent is the possibility that the apocalypse happens and zombies ruin any plans for future trek. but ya, in all honesty, the third film is a for sure go.
ChowdaHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1 2013, 05:40 AM   #15
Ovation
Vice Admiral

Location: La Belle Province or The Green Mountain State (depends on the day of the week)

Hey, will there be a new Star Trek movie?
Yes.

If yes, what is the title of the movie called?
No idea.

When will it be released to theaters?
Probably summer 2016--50th anniversary and all.

With Star Trek (2009), Into Darkness (2013), and if there will be another Star Trek movie, are these a direct prequel/sequel like for example is Star Trek (2009) a sequel to Nemesis (2002), and Into Darkness a direct sequel to Star Trek (2009)? Thank you!
As Abrams' production company, Bad Robot, is contracted to produce the third film and (IIRC), Abrams will be a producer (though not director), I strongly suspect the film will be a direct sequel to Into Darkness.
Ovation is offline   Reply With Quote