Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old November 1 2013, 09:03 PM   #16
grendelsbayne
Commander

Re: Khan's motivation for going to Kronos?

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
He thought his people had been killed by Marcus, there's no chance he'd still be allied with him at the time. He only knew his people were still alive when he heard how many torpedoes the Enterprise had brought to the Klingon border.
Unless he was lying about believing his people were dead. He certainly was doing his best to make Kirk doubt who was right. Marcus and Khan may have been twisting the truth right to the end, trying to manipulate each other and the rest of the world in general into giving them what they were actually after.

The only other explanation that makes any sense to me is that he wanted to start the war as a form of revenge, like you say. But even that seems weak to me - it implies that he's given up being an actually important factor in this world. Unless he thinks war will give him the opportunity to secretly steal some ships and build his own empire? But even an augment can't crew an entire fleet by himself.
grendelsbayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2013, 05:17 AM   #17
ChowdaHead
Lieutenant Commander

M'Sharak wrote: View Post
ChowdaHead wrote: View Post
sorry for replying out of order. im tired tonight :/
Just remember, when responding to several posts in short order, to click the Multi-Quote button on each one before clicking Reply or Quote. This will put all of the responses in one post.
thanks pal. I shoulda read over the forum tools when I signed up. I am too impatient!
ChowdaHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2013, 01:52 PM   #18
CommishSleer
Fleet Captain

View CommishSleer's Twitter Profile

I think that it should have been explained better why Khan went to Kronos and why Marcus kept Khans people in the torpedoes. I don't think the answer is obvious or even logical.
I still liked the movie but to me this is its biggest flaw. Not the Caitians, not the call to PrimeSpock, not Carol's underwear.
CommishSleer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2013, 03:30 PM   #19
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

Realizing that Carol's underwear is not the biggest flaw of the movie is the first step on the path to enlightenment.
Old November 2 2013, 03:32 PM   #20
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

The Umbrella Corporation wrote: View Post
I think that it should have been explained better why Khan went to Kronos and why Marcus kept Khans people in the torpedoes. I don't think the answer is obvious or even logical.
I still liked the movie but to me this is its biggest flaw. Not the Caitians, not the call to PrimeSpock, not Carol's underwear.
Also why they get and accept 72 torpedoes to kill one guy running around on a planet.

They wouldn't have fired 72 cruise missiles at Osama bin Laden, just 1.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2013, 03:47 PM   #21
SeerSGB
Admiral

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Also why they get and accept 72 torpedoes to kill one guy running around on a planet.

Cause they weren't coming back. Marcus had the Enterprise sabotaged. They fire one torp, maybe a two, and their asses are covered up with Klingon cruisers and blown straight to hell. It was a one way mission that was meant to get Marcus his war and clean up his mess all in one shot.
Old November 2 2013, 06:20 PM   #22
The Keeper
Commodore

It's possible we haven't seen the end of this Khan story, more details of previous events may be forthcoming in the next installment providing the producers intended ID to be the beginning of a larger arc.

Yes I know the ending of ID, having a year of time pass since the Marcus incident - beginning the 5 year mission, would seem to suggest otherwise but that could be misdirection.

Little known hit crime drama series on FX: The Bridge. It's crazy good!
The Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2013, 07:54 PM   #23
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

JarodRussell wrote: View Post

Bin Laden wasn't a genetically enhanced superman, and Pakistan didn't have kilometer-tall buildings.