Insight Editions Announces Three Trek Books For 2015
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Closed Thread

Old November 12 2013, 07:15 PM   #76
Skywalker
Admiral

Re: MLB Offseason 2013-2014

Scout101 wrote: View Post
^They also showed a population map of where the tickets are bought from, and they just essentially moved closer to the people that actually buy the tickets.
Is this what you're talking about? I found it on another website. After seeing this, the move makes a lot of sense to me. Still think it's bullshit that they're trying to get the public to foot most of the bill, though.

Old November 12 2013, 08:11 PM   #77
Scout101
Admiral

Yep
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Old November 12 2013, 11:19 PM   #78
Pondwater
Fleet Captain

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
R. Star wrote: View Post
I'm not sure why they would replace it except.... everyone else has a new field, so why not them too?
Turner Field IS the new field. Hell, Camden Yards is older, that oughta tell you something.

And I don't see how TF's location is that bad. Sure, it's a couple of miles from the nearest MARTA stop, but at least there is one nearby. If I interpret this correctly, there's not a scrap of public transit anywhere near this new location.
They'll have to come up with another kind of Braves Shuttle like they have from the Five Points station. They've been fighting MARTA expansion since before we moved here.
Timby wrote: View Post
Maybe the Rays could move to Turner Field. Can Atlanta support two teams? TF's still better than the damn Trop.
Atlanta's a football city, and they can barely sustain the Braves (and even Georgia Tech football is having attendance issues). The answer to whether or not Atlanta can support two teams is somewhere between "no" and "hahahaha, fuck no."
QFT!

Scout101 wrote: View Post
^They also showed a population map of where the tickets are bought from, and they just essentially moved closer to the people that actually buy the tickets.
I've got to wonder if they just counted the sales from their box office or did they count sales over third party sites like Stub Hub.

Last edited by Pondwater; November 12 2013 at 11:31 PM. Reason: Error
Old November 13 2013, 02:00 AM   #79
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

^ IIRC, most teams don't count StubHub when figuring total ticket sales.
Old November 13 2013, 03:13 PM   #80
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Yes and no. Almost every MLB team has a partnership agreement with StubHub, under which they get a commission on ticket sales, and several teams actually sell their tickets directly to StubHub or put them up for sale themselves on the marketplace, essentially scalping their own tickets (unless they're brazen enough to outright scalp their own tickets publicly, like the Cubs do with Wrigley Field Premium Ticket Services).
Old November 13 2013, 06:24 PM   #81
Scout101
Admiral

Isn't that obvious why, though? The team isn't selling tickets through there, other brokers and individual fans are. (there are a few exceptions, i guess, but I don't understand why they'd undercut their own box office, and scalping on the high side is kinda messed up)

If I sell you a ticket, and you sell that ticket to someone else, how can I count 2 ticket sales? Obviously, I can only count the original sale, only one seat changing hands, just multiple times. otherwise, they end up telling people they sold 60k seats to a game for a stadium that has 40k seats.

I sell a lot on stubhub, pretty familiar with the deal there. Mostly, the teams (and MLB) get a cut to advertise stubhub and not fight to shut them down. And MLB helps even more by letting stubhub into their ticketing process to validate barcodes, further legitimizing the stubhub process, they both make more money, etc.
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Old November 20 2013, 12:04 AM   #82
Pondwater
Fleet Captain

Huddy has signed a 2- year deal to go out to SF.
Old November 20 2013, 02:10 AM   #83
Use of Time
Commodore

^Yeah, I love Huddy but I think the Braves have 5 starters that will be competitive next year. (Medlan, Minor, Teheran, Beachy, Hale) I'm anxious to see which AL team McCann ends up signing up next year.
Old November 20 2013, 02:34 AM   #84
Pondwater
Fleet Captain

^ I have a strong feeling he may go to the Rangers.
Old November 20 2013, 02:46 AM   #85
Use of Time
Commodore

That is my feeling as well. I think the Yankees are going to most likely pay Cano close to what he expects leaving them on the outside in the McCann race. I think the 5 year $100 million that people are predicting for Mac is a bit much. I could see him getting about $75 million in Texas. I don't know how hot the Sox are on him but I wouldn't count them out.
Old November 20 2013, 03:10 AM   #86
Pondwater
Fleet Captain

Definitely. The Sox have no depth when it comes to Catchers. Regarding Cano, I honestly think that no other team is going to pay him close to what the Yankees have paid him.
Old November 20 2013, 05:56 AM   #87
Skywalker
Admiral

I don't think the Red Sox are going to end up with McCann. He wants a lot of years and big money while the Red Sox are just looking for someone to come in for a year or two to bridge the gap to Blake Swihart and/or Christian Vazquez, a pair of prospects they're hoping will pan out. Last I heard was they were exploring the possibility of trading for Ryan Hanigan.
Old November 20 2013, 12:34 PM   #88
Tom Hendricks
Commodore

View Tom Hendricks's Twitter Profile

I think Paul Lo Duca is still available.

Of course I'm a creationist. I believe man created god.
Old November 20 2013, 03:35 PM   #89
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Use of Time wrote: View Post
That is my feeling as well. I think the Yankees are going to most likely pay Cano close to what he expects
I'm not convinced this will happen. Cano has basically zero leverage in his talks with the Yankees, and of the top ten non-Yankee payrolls from last season:

Dodgers – No longer interested now that they signed a young Cuban to play 2B
Phillies – They already have an aging 2B signed for too much money
Red Sox – Just locked up Pedroia
Tigers – If they were going to spend big money this winter, they’d be extending Scherzer instead of looking to trade him. They seem to be at their limit for long-term mega contracts right now. But ... maybe?
Giants – Scutaro has two more years left, and if they’re going to spend on a bat, it’ll be an outfielder
Angels – Have a 2B signed for the next two years, and even Moreno knows now they need pitching more than anything
Rangers – Already have too many middle infielders
White Sox - It seems like Abreu was their big offensive spending target this winter, but that team is kind of a mess anyway
Blue Jays - Already have a 2B for the next two years. They took on too much bad money last winter, but like Detroit they have ownership that could theoretically open up the checkbook
Cardinals – Carpenter is young and cheap

This is why Jay-Z was trying to make such a show of the Mets supposedly being interested in Cano -- there's no market for him at the price he wants, and I think it's entirely possible that he'll have to eat a contract below $200 million.
Old November 20 2013, 03:51 PM   #90
Kirby
Rear Admiral

View Kirby's Twitter Profile

Kirby wrote: View Post
...and then sign some washed up pitcher who they claim will transform our rotation.
My bad, the Rockies just signed a washed up reliever to transform our bullpen. LaTroy Hawkins, who couldn't hack it with us 7 years ago. I really need to find a new team.