Greenwood Cast In Truth
By: T'Bonz on Oct 28

Cumberbatch In Talks For Strange
By: T'Bonz on Oct 28

Two New Trek Bobble Heads
By: T'Bonz on Oct 27

Meaney On Playing Historical Figure Durant
By: T'Bonz on Oct 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Closed Thread

Old February 5 2014, 02:11 PM   #496
Use of Time
Commodore

Re: MLB Offseason 2013-2014

I have no problem with that deal. Freeman is easily the best hitting player on the team who also plays gold glove level defense. He is signed young so they will get the best years out of him. I'm glad he got the payday over Heyward who has tremendous upside but is often injured. Kimbrel might be as good as gone though.
Old February 5 2014, 03:18 PM   #497
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Use of Time wrote: View Post
I have no problem with that deal. Freeman is easily the best hitting player on the team who also plays gold glove level defense. He is signed young so they will get the best years out of him. I'm glad he got the payday over Heyward who has tremendous upside but is often injured. Kimbrel might be as good as gone though.
The problem is that Freeman has had precisely one really, really good season, and he just got a $16 million per year contract for it. Freeman's SLG went up 50 points but his ISO dropped by about 15. His 2013 line was great, but was propped up by a lot of extra singles and a BABIP I don't think he has the hitting skills to keep up. There's really no reason to extend him after a season he may never top, especially when he still has 3+ cheap years with which to back up that 2013 performance.

He's not a bad player, but he's not a "gotta lock up for eight years" player. Could have taken some of that money and extended McCann instead.
Old February 5 2014, 03:41 PM   #498
Use of Time
Commodore

eh, you might be right but I've watched him closely the past few years and he has improved every year he has played and he was a prominent run producer for the Braves last year. I think what got him the deal was mainly his consistency throughout the entire season as opposed to guys like Justin Upton who have two mega months and sputter in between. It appears they have attached themselves to Freddie as the face of the franchise. The fans love him, he is a good guy and while there may be some risk, I think a fall off is unlikely. He has a tremendous approach to the plate and he isn't going to get dumber up there. I didn't like the Uggla or Upton deals but I think they played the Heyward situation pretty well and I don't think the Freeman deal is a killer. 7 of his 8 years he will be in his twenties and he is pretty durable.

I really don't want to pay a lot of money for a closer though. I'm fine with trading Kimbrel if the arbitration hearing doesn't go well.
Old February 5 2014, 04:10 PM   #499
Yanks
Fleet Captain

Timby wrote: View Post
Use of Time wrote: View Post
The problem is that Freeman has had precisely one really, really good season, and he just got a $16 million per year contract for it. Freeman's SLG went up 50 points but his ISO dropped by about 15. His 2013 line was great, but was propped up by a lot of extra singles and a BABIP I don't think he has the hitting skills to keep up. There's really no reason to extend him after a season he may never top, especially when he still has 3+ cheap years with which to back up that 2013 performance.

He's not a bad player, but he's not a "gotta lock up for eight years" player. Could have taken some of that money and extended McCann instead.
Not saying I disagree with you, but should a ball club want to contract a player like that DURING his young years?

I mean look at the Yankees. They are ALWAYS paying big bucks for player that "had" great numbers for a few years.... and always getting dogged for it. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

I think this is a good sign for this kid. It's got to be lower risk that what the Yankees do.
Old February 5 2014, 04:17 PM   #500
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

The two warning signs on Freeman were the not-insignificant drop in ISO, and again that .371 BABIP. That's a completely unsustainable number, which means his batting average is due to fall back down to Earth -- he needs his walk rate to take a huge jump in order to keep his OBP anywhere near where it was last year.

It would be a fine deal if Freeman had more than one year of this kind of performance under his belt. As it stands right now, however, it's a season that exists in a vacuum, with nothing before or since to really establish context. This is only arb-1 for Freeman; if he hits like a moon monster in 2014, then, okay, I see the wisdom in signing him long-term. But as it stands right now, an eight-year contract after one good season is far too much money, far too soon, because with the lack of statistical context, it's entirely possible that 2013 was the best season Freeman will ever have. I'm not saying that's likely, but it's possible. It just makes no sense to lock up a guy for almost a decade after one good year.

In addition to potentially using that money to extend McCann, the Braves could have saved that money in case Heyward and Upton take huge strides over the next couple of seasons. Justin Upton might not get a lot better, but, if he suddenly starts approaching the Upton everybody was waiting for (and I'm thinking more in terms of power than batting average), they're going to feel stupid when they're paying Freeman that much money and Upton is heading out the door.
Old February 6 2014, 04:52 AM   #501
George Steinbrenner
Fleet Admiral

View George Steinbrenner's Twitter Profile

Rangers just sealed a new naming rights deal for their ballpark. It's now called "Globe Life Park in Arlington". Linky

Apparently the Rangers feel the need to continuously remind people that they do, in fact, play in Arlington, as that name has been part of all the iterations of the stadium's name.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Old February 6 2014, 05:05 AM   #502
Dr. Tom Horrible, PHD
Tom Hendricks

View Dr. Tom Horrible, PHD's Twitter Profile

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Rangers just sealed a new naming rights deal for their ballpark. It's now called "Globe Life Park in Arlington". Linky

Apparently the Rangers feel the need to continuously remind people that they do, in fact, play in Arlington, as that name has been part of all the iterations of the stadium's name.
That's almost as bad as the Angels.

Of course I'm a creationist. I believe man created god.
Old February 6 2014, 05:56 AM   #503
George Steinbrenner
Fleet Admiral

View George Steinbrenner's Twitter Profile

^ As much as I hate that one too, at least the Angels have an excuse: they want the name recognition associated with L.A., but they are required to have Anaheim in there as well.

On a much sadder note, Curt Schilling has cancer.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Old February 6 2014, 06:38 PM   #504
SmoothieX
Vice Admiral

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post

I'm waiting for an honest name for a stadium...

Some .com that's Going to Go Under Within a Year Stadium

OR

Energy Company to be Investigated by the Feds Park
Old February 6 2014, 06:52 PM   #505
Yanks
Fleet Captain

On a brighter note, it looks like we will be getting another baseball team in my neck of the woods.
http://hamptonroads.com/2013/04/grou...-team-va-beach
Old February 6 2014, 09:53 PM   #506
Dr. Tom Horrible, PHD
Tom Hendricks

View Dr. Tom Horrible, PHD's Twitter Profile

http://http://nypost.com/2014/02/06/...ead-at-age-91/

My heart is broken, Ralph Kiner has passed away. As a kid growing up as a baseball fan and even more a Mets fan, he was baseball to me. I watched Kiners Corner every week. I'm very melancholy now, I hope the Mets honor him in some kind of spectacular way this season, I will be there when it happens.

Of course I'm a creationist. I believe man created god.
Old February 7 2014, 11:46 PM   #507
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Alex Rodriguez has withdrawn his lawsuits against MLB and the MLBPA. (Note: Because of the particulars in the CBA, in order to sue MLB, Rodriguez had to include the MLBPA in his suit.)

Collusion is a wonderful thing, I guess. (If Alex Rodriguez had signed a mammoth contract with, say, the Royals, does anyone legitimately think that MLB would have gone after him like this?)
Old February 8 2014, 11:19 AM   #508
SmoothieX
Vice Admiral

Tom Hendricks wrote: View Post

My heart is broken, Ralph Kiner has passed away. As a kid growing up as a baseball fan and even more a Mets fan, he was baseball to me. I watched Kiners Corner every week. I'm very melancholy now, I hope the Mets honor him in some kind of spectacular way this season, I will be there when it happens.
Aww crap. I'm on board with you. Grew up in NY and went to a load of Mets game.
Old February 8 2014, 04:02 PM   #509
Yanks
Fleet Captain

Timby wrote: View Post
Alex Rodriguez has withdrawn his lawsuits against MLB and the MLBPA. (Note: Because of the particulars in the CBA, in order to sue MLB, Rodriguez had to include the MLBPA in his suit.)

Collusion is a wonderful thing, I guess. (If Alex Rodriguez had signed a mammoth contract with, say, the Royals, does anyone legitimately think that MLB would have gone after him like this?)
Yes.
Old February 8 2014, 04:04 PM   #510
Yanks
Fleet Captain

Tom Hendricks wrote: View Post

I've always thought of him as one of baseballs finest.
Closed Thread