Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Closed Thread

Old December 7 2013, 06:00 PM   #196
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile
Re: MLB Offseason 2013-2014

Hanukkah Solo wrote: View Post
So when will Yankee Stadium officially be renamed the George Steinbrenner Memorial Retirement Home?
Probably about the 1,000,000th time somebody tells that joke, which should be any minute now
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Old December 7 2013, 06:17 PM   #197
Yanks
Fleet Captain

[QUOTE=Timby;8985829]
Yanks wrote: View Post
Three years for an old outfielder who's on the downswing of his career and has arthritic knees isn't exactly a great move, and I'm not sure how one justifies that after letting Cano walk over contract length.

What was that about you not believing Project 189 to be real?
He numbers man... look at his production the last 2 years and his post season production.

Good deal for the Yanks.

Cashman still says 189 is the number.

The question is, do they trade Gardner/Soriano for some pitching.

Go get Jimenez?
Old December 7 2013, 08:37 PM   #198
Scout101
Admiral

When the Cubs SENT you Soriano, they had to pay most of his salary to get you to take him. What makes you think someone will give you anything of value for him now?

Gardner, there's some value there. Not enough for someone to go crazy for, but at least a chip.

And yeah, back on Beltran: still the same problem/question. OF was already decent, so why spend the money there instead of where it needs to go? And if you took the Ellsbury money and the Beltran money, you'd have had Cano instead. I know which one I'D have rather had. Where's Beltran going to play? Every day right fielder, with Ichiro, Wells, and Soriano on the bench? Just an odd use of money...
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Old December 7 2013, 08:44 PM   #199
Yanks
Fleet Captain

Scout101 wrote: View Post
When the Cubs SENT you Soriano, they had to pay most of his salary to get you to take him. What makes you think someone will give you anything of value for him now?

Gardner, there's some value there. Not enough for someone to go crazy for, but at least a chip.

And yeah, back on Beltran: still the same problem/question. OF was already decent, so why spend the money there instead of where it needs to go? And if you took the Ellsbury money and the Beltran money, you'd have had Cano instead. I know which one I'D have rather had. Where's Beltran going to play? Every day right fielder, with Ichiro, Wells, and Soriano on the bench? Just an odd use of money...
I thought that was Wells on the cheap.

We needed to add another good bat. Beltran fits the bill. The outfield will get less crowded I think.

I don't want to see Gardner go, but we need to land a starting pitcher.
Old December 8 2013, 01:55 AM   #200
Scout101
Admiral

Still all sort of the same issue, though. Think about it:

You brought in Ellsbury to play CF, who's basically Gardner but a little better. Now signed Beltran as well, so now you basically have to get rid of Gardner (or Soriano/Ichiro), and the bonus is that money then wasn't available for Cano, where there was an ACTUAL need. Just seems like a screwed up plan...
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
Old December 8 2013, 02:48 AM   #201
Yanks
Fleet Captain

Still all sort of the same issue, though. Think about it:

You brought in Ellsbury to play CF, who's basically Gardner but a little better. Now signed Beltran as well, so now you basically have to get rid of Gardner (or Soriano/Ichiro), and the bonus is that money then wasn't available for Cano, where there was an ACTUAL need. Just seems like a screwed up plan...
It wasn't the money, it was the years. They wanted to pay him 25 million a year.
Old December 8 2013, 03:53 AM   #202
Scout101
Admiral

and were willing to go to 7-8 years, but 10 is stupid? Come on. For the difference in money, you passed on your best player and gave that money to another OF, to bring you to 5 (all making 15M plus, except Gardner, who you'll now likely have to trade). And 2B will now be manned by someone pretty close to replacement level.
Old December 8 2013, 03:56 AM   #203
Yanks
Fleet Captain

and were willing to go to 7-8 years, but 10 is stupid? Come on. For the difference in money, you passed on your best player and gave that money to another OF, to bring you to 5 (all making 15M plus, except Gardner, who you'll now likely have to trade). And 2B will now be manned by someone pretty close to replacement level.
Yes, 10 is stupid. It wasn't a money issue.

Get over it. We didn't want him.
Old December 8 2013, 04:01 AM   #204
Use of Time
Commodore

The Yankees are done acquiring players at this point but I do believe they will make a good effort to move Ichiro.
Old December 8 2013, 04:03 AM   #205
Yanks
Fleet Captain

Use of Time wrote: View Post
The Yankees are done acquiring players at this point but I do believe they will make a good effort to move Ichiro.
I think they still need a starter and some help in the bull pen.
Old December 8 2013, 04:14 AM   #206
Use of Time
Commodore

Well I am not sure Ichiro will be able to get that done for you. I just think that they had designs on moving Ichiro from the get go which would explain the Beltran signing.
Old December 8 2013, 04:19 AM   #207
Yanks
Fleet Captain

Well I am not sure Ichiro will be able to get that done for you. I just think that they had designs on moving Ichiro from the get go which would explain the Beltran signing.
Agree, I'm not sure anyone would want Ichiro (except maybe Seattle to retire his number).
Old December 8 2013, 04:32 AM   #208
Use of Time
Commodore

Agree, I'm not sure anyone would want Ichiro (except maybe Seattle to retire his number).
I've seen rumors to that effect. Ichiro to Seattle would be the most likely scenario.
Old December 8 2013, 04:59 AM   #209
Tom Servo
Commodore

Still doesn't mean that it wasn't a stupid decision. Actually it was two stupid decisions...the first to sign Ellsbury, and then to not sign Cano.

Member of Red Sox Nation
Old December 8 2013, 05:30 AM   #210
Yanks
Fleet Captain

Tom Servo wrote: View Post

Still doesn't mean that it wasn't a stupid decision. Actually it was two stupid decisions...the first to sign Ellsbury, and then to not sign Cano.
That's your opinion.
Closed Thread