RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,887
Posts: 5,386,642
Members: 24,715
Currently online: 431
Newest member: Noga74

TrekToday headlines

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Cumberbatch To Voice Khan
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Eve Engaged
By: T'Bonz on Aug 15

Shatner’s Get A Life DVD Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Aug 14

TV Alert: Takei Oprah Appearance
By: T'Bonz on Aug 14


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old November 1 2013, 09:57 PM   #31
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral
 
Mr. Laser Beam's Avatar
 
Location: The visitor's bullpen
View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile
Re: New Navy Destroyer.... But, Get This....

^ Was his general named Robau?
__________________
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1 2013, 10:03 PM   #32
Kenbushway
Captain
 
Kenbushway's Avatar
 
Location: Georgia, USA
Re: New Navy Destroyer.... But, Get This....

Definitely a cool looking ship; especially hearing that it could be fitted with lasers and rail type weapons.
__________________
"The typical investor would be better off if his stocks had no market quotations at all, for he would be spared the mental anguish caused him by other persons' mistakes of judgement."
Benjamin Graham - The Intelligent Investor Chpt 8.
Kenbushway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1 2013, 10:40 PM   #33
FPAlpha
Rear Admiral
 
FPAlpha's Avatar
 
Location: Mannheim, Germany
Re: New Navy Destroyer.... But, Get This....

SeerSGB wrote: View Post
George Steinbrenner wrote: View Post
Is this Captain Kirk actually a Trek fan?
I wouldn't blame if he wasn't. You know he's had to have gotten plenty of ribbing over the year over his name just cause he's in the navy.
In his place i would have owned this name and do everything in my power to get assigned to the USS Enterprise (but he probably isn't a fan and planned his career realistically ).

Still.. i wonder if he ever used his name in connection with Star Trek, few could resist i believe.

As to the ship.. sure it's the future and it looks very futuristic. I'm especially impressed with the automated control systems reducing crew requirements and amount of people needed to run the ship properly without sacrificing effectivity.
__________________
"But that emergency was supposed to be the fall of an Avenger!" Phil Coulson
"Exactly!"
Nick Fury
FPAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1 2013, 11:39 PM   #34
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral
 
Trekker4747's Avatar
 
Location: Kansas City
Re: New Navy Destroyer.... But, Get This....

FPAlpha wrote: View Post
As to the ship.. sure it's the future and it looks very futuristic.
Actually, it's the present.
__________________
Out of hope.
Trekker4747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2013, 04:41 AM   #35
J. Allen
Dancing on Rainbows
 
J. Allen's Avatar
 
Location: United States
Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen
Re: New Navy Destroyer.... But, Get This....

Yep, this ship is being commissioned in less than a year. It looks fantastic.
__________________
Visit us at Brony Kingdom!
You will never find a more precious hive of love and humility.
---------
"Anger is an acid that can do more harm to the vessel in which it is stored than to anything on which it is poured." - Mark Twain
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2013, 03:12 PM   #36
FPAlpha
Rear Admiral
 
FPAlpha's Avatar
 
Location: Mannheim, Germany
Re: New Navy Destroyer.... But, Get This....

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
FPAlpha wrote: View Post
As to the ship.. sure it's the future and it looks very futuristic.
Actually, it's the present.
I meant it's the future of naval warfare.. that's what i get when i assume people can read my mind and what i'm trying to say
__________________
"But that emergency was supposed to be the fall of an Avenger!" Phil Coulson
"Exactly!"
Nick Fury
FPAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2013, 11:31 PM   #37
publiusr
Commodore
 
Re: New Navy Destroyer.... But, Get This....

Well, I guess it beats being called Dumwalt...Breaking Bad joke in there somewhere...sorta like Deepak Chopra, Tupac Shakur and a Six Pack a beer...
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4 2013, 01:51 PM   #38
Star Wolf
Rear Admiral
 
Star Wolf's Avatar
 
Location: ciudad de Los Angeles
Re: New Navy Destroyer.... But, Get This....

Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post
Harbinger wrote: View Post
CAPT James A. Kirk
Canon violation!!! Everyone knows Captain Kirk's only acceptable middle initials are "T" and "R." I can't imagine how anyone could associate T&A with Captain Kirk.

Its commissioning is a bit of a ways off and a pretty different requirement from commanding destroyers, but it would be awesome if he got command of the next Enterprise. Make it happen, US Navy.
I think that CVN-65 is still commissioned even though she has been retired. we would have a lot more work to do then we did with the space shuttle to get a ship in the current pipeline renamed Enterprise. Captain Kirk missed the window of opportunity.
__________________
I'm not crazy! All I Really Need to Know I learned by Watching The Wire
Star Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2013, 05:10 AM   #39
Locutus of Bored
Furfallin'
 
Locutus of Bored's Avatar
 
Location: Huntington Beach, California
Re: New Navy Destroyer.... But, Get This....

Star Wolf wrote: View Post
Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post
Harbinger wrote: View Post
CAPT James A. Kirk
Canon violation!!! Everyone knows Captain Kirk's only acceptable middle initials are "T" and "R." I can't imagine how anyone could associate T&A with Captain Kirk.

Its commissioning is a bit of a ways off and a pretty different requirement from commanding destroyers, but it would be awesome if he got command of the next Enterprise. Make it happen, US Navy.
I think that CVN-65 is still commissioned even though she has been retired. we would have a lot more work to do then we did with the space shuttle to get a ship in the current pipeline renamed Enterprise. Captain Kirk missed the window of opportunity.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Ent...e_%28CVN-80%29
__________________
My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2013, 01:21 PM   #40
Yanks
Fleet Captain
 
Yanks's Avatar
 
Location: NX01 Bridge
Re: New Navy Destroyer.... But, Get This....

Star Wolf wrote: View Post
Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post
Harbinger wrote: View Post
CAPT James A. Kirk
Canon violation!!! Everyone knows Captain Kirk's only acceptable middle initials are "T" and "R." I can't imagine how anyone could associate T&A with Captain Kirk.

Its commissioning is a bit of a ways off and a pretty different requirement from commanding destroyers, but it would be awesome if he got command of the next Enterprise. Make it happen, US Navy.
I think that CVN-65 is still commissioned even though she has been retired. we would have a lot more work to do then we did with the space shuttle to get a ship in the current pipeline renamed Enterprise. Captain Kirk missed the window of opportunity.
She will not be decommissioned until she is completely defueled. She's "deactivated" right now.
__________________
We have to learn again that science without contact with experiments is an enterprise which is likely to go completely astray into imaginary conjecture.”
- Evolution of the Solar System, NASA 1976, H. Alfvén & G, Arrhenius, p. 257.
Yanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2013, 01:24 PM   #41
Yanks
Fleet Captain
 
Yanks's Avatar
 
Location: NX01 Bridge
Re: New Navy Destroyer.... But, Get This....

J.T.B. wrote: View Post
Yanks wrote: View Post
Senior Captains for a pre-commissioning gig aren't that uncommon.

That experience, especially with this "thing" is preferred. Remember, all the instruction for this class are going to start from scratch.
I was wondering if that was the case, thanks. I realize he'll be more of a project manager than a skipper.
He stays with the ship through comissioning and the intitial training phase - might even make her first deployment.
__________________
We have to learn again that science without contact with experiments is an enterprise which is likely to go completely astray into imaginary conjecture.”
- Evolution of the Solar System, NASA 1976, H. Alfvén & G, Arrhenius, p. 257.
Yanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:45 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.