Stewart Narrated NASA Documentary
By: T'Bonz on Jan 21

Star Trek 3 Filming To Begin
By: T'Bonz on Jan 21

IDW Publishing Trek Comics For April 2015
By: T'Bonz on Jan 20

Star Trek-Planet of the Apes #2
By: T'Bonz on Jan 20

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Enterprise

Enterprise The final frontier has a new beginning in this forum!

Old December 1 2013, 01:50 AM   #121
Gov Kodos
Admiral

Re: Trip Asking for Prime Rib

Yet they do the same things. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10598926
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2013, 01:53 AM   #122
Hazel
Lieutenant Commander

Nevermind, got it.
Hazel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2013, 02:00 AM   #123
Hazel
Lieutenant Commander

Here's a another take/clarification on the coverage of the BBC story:http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/...sophisticated/
As far as I gather, plants experiencing pain would be counter-productive evolution-wise. Their capability to move away from pain is extremely limited, they have no central nervous system, and much of the time their propagation depends on another animal eating them/spreading their seed (dirty!)
But hey, it's an interesting topic, and we'll find out more I'm sure.
Hazel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2013, 09:25 AM   #124
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Location: Google's ass cave full of the lush, lush asses they have stolen.

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Hazel wrote: View Post
teacake wrote: View Post
If I don't eat this food it will suffer and die!

:: applies theory to chocolate ::
Personally I exclusively eat plants as a way to save the world - they're all secretly Triffids, you know. I'm doing you all a favour
One day I am so going to laugh my ass of if we find out that plants are sentient beings. What would Vegans do then? Move to Vega?
If we found out plants were sentient and I was a vegan I would just eat only the animals that I truly hated, like sharks. I hate those mother fuckers, also crocodiles, and if I had to make an ethical choice on a level playing field where all were equal I would just go with my pet hatreds. Sharks or carrots, the choice would be easy if carrots were all sentient and orange and growing without hurting anyone. Why not eat the eaters? Instead of the innocent?

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2013, 09:49 PM   #125
scotpens
Vice Admiral

If we weren't breading all these animals for food . . .
Now I'm hungry for some Wiener schnitzel.
Old December 2 2013, 07:22 AM   #126
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Saganistheman wrote: View Post
... and order a double bacon cheeseburger with a side order of popcorn shrimp and and order of chicken tenders drenched in honey-mustard ...
You and I need to spend time together.

T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2 2013, 07:43 AM   #127
Saganistheman
Lieutenant

T'Girl wrote: View Post
Saganistheman wrote: View Post
... and order a double bacon cheeseburger with a side order of popcorn shrimp and and order of chicken tenders drenched in honey-mustard ...
You and I need to spend time together.

Sho'nuff anytime!
Saganistheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2 2013, 12:57 PM   #128
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Here's a another take/clarification on the coverage of the BBC story:http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/...sophisticated/
As far as I gather, plants experiencing pain would be counter-productive evolution-wise. Their capability to move away from pain is extremely limited, they have no central nervous system, and much of the time their propagation depends on another animal eating them/spreading their seed (dirty!)
But hey, it's an interesting topic, and we'll find out more I'm sure.
That's what I always wonder about. Do plants INTEND to get their seeds spread by the help of other organisms or is that accidental?

Intention would require an evolutionary mechanism that isn't agreed upon in the scientific community: the ability of an organism to actively mutate its DNA before passing it to the next generation. Like “oh my gosh, this heat is killing me, my children need less fur.“ and - tada - flipped is one of the switches in the code.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3 2013, 04:50 PM   #129
Mister Spock
Lieutenant Commander

It seems to go back to the idea that there is a subtle difference between replicated foods and 'real' food.
Well, Picard does say in Sins of the Father that replicated Caviar isn't as good as the real thing, and Paris complains in Caretaker that the replicators aboard Voyager can't get Tomato Soup right.
Mister Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2013, 09:07 PM   #130
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Deanna prefers real chocolates over the ship's replicated chocolate.

T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7 2013, 10:07 PM   #131
Mister Spock
Lieutenant Commander

I always figured that the big difference was that replicated food contains none of the small flourishes, differences and imperfections that real food might contain.
Mister Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7 2013, 11:24 PM   #132
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Palates are adaptive, I'm sure a lot of people wouldn't notice or care. Plus you could program it pretty specifically if you had a replicator fitted out for that.

Chocolate, dark.

Specify percentage.

83.7%

Specify conching level.

etc..

You would have to know just as much about the food you wanted and how it actually is prepared in real life to get it as specific as you wanted. You could add the flourishes by requesting some randomness too, let's say each piece in the block of chocolate varied by up to 8% of your specifications. I am sure there are many replicator foodies who love the numbers crunching and share recipes.

You can make home made ketchup which is delicious and still have people prefer store bought, sugar and salt laden ketchup. People will be used to getting exactly what they want from the replicator and resist the flourishes and differences. I think a lot of the bitching about Neelix's cooking was that people had lost control, they had to take the stew in front of them and not adjust every aspect of it to their own tastes.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old December 8 2013, 01:16 AM   #133
Gov Kodos
Admiral

Palates are adaptive, I'm sure a lot of people wouldn't notice or care. Plus you could program it pretty specifically if you had a replicator fitted out for that.

Chocolate, dark.

Specify percentage.

83.7%

Specify conching level.

etc..

You would have to know just as much about the food you wanted and how it actually is prepared in real life to get it as specific as you wanted. You could add the flourishes by requesting some randomness too, let's say each piece in the block of chocolate varied by up to 8% of your specifications. I am sure there are many replicator foodies who love the numbers crunching and share recipes.

You can make home made ketchup which is delicious and still have people prefer store bought, sugar and salt laden ketchup. People will be used to getting exactly what they want from the replicator and resist the flourishes and differences. I think a lot of the bitching about Neelix's cooking was that people had lost control, they had to take the stew in front of them and not adjust every aspect of it to their own tastes.
I assumed Neelix was a gourmet chef for someone with a Talaxian tongue. If their taste reception is broader than humans, and even registers flavors we do at different levels it could be a right pain for him to work out what humans like. To the Talaxian tongue leola root may really be their equivalent of chocolate and truffles.
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Old December 8 2013, 02:04 AM   #134
teacake
Fleet Admiral

The leola root bitching was stupid. Why did he put leola root in everything? Because that is what they had. Sure everyone would rather have had potatoes but they didn't have potatoes. They complained about his use of the raw materials available, which was his job! I really do think they are all spoiled and in shock that day after day they can't control what they eat to the degree replicators allow.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old December 8 2013, 02:06 AM   #135
Gov Kodos
Admiral

The leola root bitching was stupid. Why did he put leola root in everything? Because that is what they had. Sure everyone would rather have had potatoes but they didn't have potatoes. They complained about his use of the raw materials available, which was his job! I really do think they are all spoiled and in shock that day after day they can't control what they eat to the degree replicators allow.
It's a good in-universe explanation.