Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Enterprise

Enterprise The final frontier has a new beginning in this forum!

Old November 21 2013, 11:35 PM   #61
Melakon
Vice Admiral

Re: Trip Asking for Prime Rib

R. Star wrote: View Post
Melakon wrote: View Post
. . .cannibalism. . .
Good question. You'd have to ask them. I'd have to imagine it would at least be more socially acceptable.
I only thought of that because I used to have a role-playing character that I developed a backstory for. She was from a cannibal tribe, and it had religious significance for them. They'd eat the raw flesh of friends and loved ones after death in some big ritual banquet. They believed that allowed the departed's soul to live on in them. For enemies though, they would cook the flesh first, believing that destroyed the soul. Part of the inspiration for the backstory had to do with reading about an actual tribe discovered in 1914, though I think the raw/cooked business was my invention.
Old November 21 2013, 11:48 PM   #62
R. Star
Rear Admiral

R. Star wrote: View Post
. . .cannibalism. . .
Good question. You'd have to ask them. I'd have to imagine it would at least be more socially acceptable.
I only thought of that because I used to have a role-playing character that I developed a backstory for. She was from a cannibal tribe, and it had religious significance for them. They'd eat the raw flesh of friends and loved ones after death in some big ritual banquet. They believed that allowed the departed's soul to live on in them. For enemies though, they would cook the flesh first, believing that destroyed the soul. Part of the inspiration for the backstory had to do with reading about an actual tribe discovered in 1914, though I think the raw/cooked business was my invention.
Well in the case of your RP character, I don't think that'd exactly count unless she's friends with the test tubes.
Old November 26 2013, 09:19 PM   #63
Saganistheman
Lieutenant

The Master of Tarquin Hill wrote: View Post
Will people hundreds of years from now consider this request repulsive?

Will factory farming still exist?

Think I will just stick to my Soilent Green washed down with a large glass of Tatooine Blue Milk
Saganistheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2013, 12:11 AM   #64
Hazel
Lieutenant Commander

Do people really believe plants feel the same was as animals do, or is it just something to say to annoy vegans? I've never found scientific evidence that points to plants experiencing pain - I mean, they lack a central nervous system.
Hazel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2013, 12:25 AM   #65
Gov Kodos
Vice Admiral

Plants are living things no less than animals. Whether they experience pain is irrelevant to that fact.
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star!' Endora on witches in Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2013, 12:43 AM   #66
Hazel
Lieutenant Commander

Gov Kodos wrote: View Post
Plants are living things no less than animals. Whether they experience pain is irrelevant to that fact.
Is it irrelevant? Vegans don't want to cause pain or suffering to any animal as far as possible. Plants aren't animals and don't suffer (as far as we know.) It's not about having a perfect ideology of veganism that is impenetrable to inconsistencies: it's about limiting pain
Old November 28 2013, 12:47 AM   #67
Melakon
Vice Admiral

If you're going to rule out once living things, that either limits us perhaps to fruit, nuts, berries, and honey (since natural water from a stream has microscopic life forms), or starving to death.
Old November 28 2013, 12:48 AM   #68
Gov Kodos
Vice Admiral

Hazel wrote: View Post
Is it irrelevant? Vegans don't want to cause pain or suffering to any animal as far as possible. Plants aren't animals and don't suffer (as far as we know.) It's not about having a perfect ideology of veganism that is impenetrable to inconsistencies: it's about limiting pain
So, their lives are irrelevant to you, enjoy.
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star!' Endora on witches in Bewitched
Old November 28 2013, 12:51 AM   #69
Hazel
Lieutenant Commander

If you're going to rule out once living things, that either limits us perhaps to fruit, nuts, berries, and honey (since natural water from a stream has microscopic life forms), or starving to death.
*shrug* I just don't get why people apparently object to vegans eating plants. Like I said, it's about not causing animals harm, to the best of human ability. Maybe you (general you) think it's an arbitrary delineation, but hey - that's just how vegans do.
Old November 28 2013, 12:53 AM   #70
Hazel
Lieutenant Commander

So, their lives are irrelevant to you, enjoy.
Whut? Why so defensive over plants - do you not eat them at all?
Old November 28 2013, 12:54 AM   #71
Gov Kodos
Vice Admiral

*shrug* I just don't get why people apparently object to vegans eating plants. Like I said, it's about not causing animals harm, to the best of human ability. Maybe you (general you) think it's an arbitrary delineation, but hey - that's just how vegans do.
It's not the eating plants, it's the claiming some moral superiority while still eating living things. Some living things are just more equal. It's your hypocrisy that is objectionable.
Old November 28 2013, 12:57 AM   #72
Hazel
Lieutenant Commander

It's not the eating plants, it's the claiming some moral superiority while still eating living things. Some living things are just more equal.
Who is claiming superiority? As I pointed out, vegans are against exploiting animals. Not plants. You could make a point that it's hyopcritical to not exploit animals, yet still use a computer because that has certain animal-derived components, but I don't see the hypocrisy in what you've argued.
Old November 28 2013, 12:58 AM   #73
Gov Kodos
Vice Admiral

It's not the eating plants, it's the claiming some moral superiority while still eating living things. Some living things are just more equal.
Who is claiming superiority? As I pointed out, vegans are against exploiting animals. Not plants. You could make a point that it's hyopcritical to not exploit animals, yet still use a computer because that has certain animal-derived components, but I don't see the hypocrisy in what you've argued.
So, some lives are more equal than others and deserve better treatment. You've said that. Enjoy.
Old November 28 2013, 01:02 AM   #74
Hazel
Lieutenant Commander

Everyone does that. So, in turn - enjoy your food, and we'll agree to disagree
Old November 28 2013, 01:04 AM   #75
Gov Kodos
Vice Admiral

Everyone does that. So, in turn - enjoy your food, and we'll agree to disagree