Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old November 3 2013, 11:41 PM   #1
Garak007
Lieutenant

"Favor the Bold" ep something bothers me

Been watching some clips lately where Sisko gives that speech about "fortune favours the bold" and Garak was on the bridge. Don't have a problem with that as such as he wanted to help but why was he at the weapons station of all things. I just notice this, a bit dangerous don't you think. Considering his history and all.
Garak007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4 2013, 04:38 AM   #2
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Re: "Favor the Bold" ep something bothers me

I never paid enough attention to what his console said. By his dialogue his role basically seemed to be as an Intelligence officer monitoring the order of battle.

He never really did dick around with everyone as much when it came to something serious like the war, and I imagine if not totally, they trusted he hated the Dominion more than them.
Old November 4 2013, 04:47 AM   #3
Sran
Fleet Captain

Garak had earned (to a certain degree) the crew's trust by the time "Favor the Bold" occurred. There were numerous instances in which Garak commented that people seemed much more comfortable around him during the previous season, so it's not a stretch to believe Sisko would allow him to man one of the bridge stations in a combat situation. It's not as though Garak had anywhere else to go if he betrayed Starfleet, as Dukat would have had him killed had he tried to defect to the Dominion.

What's more, he would almost certainly not have been accepted on Bajor, and it's not clear how the Romulans would have reacted to his presence. They had a non-aggression pact with the Dominion, but they may have made an exception for Garak due to his role in the botched Tal Shiar-Obsidian Order mission to the Gamma Quadrant three years before.

--Sran
Old November 4 2013, 05:10 AM   #4
erastus25
Fleet Captain

Garak has a good sense of self-preservation, to add to what everyone else has already noted.
Old November 6 2013, 03:13 AM   #5
Dick_Valentine
Commander

View Dick_Valentine's Twitter Profile

Also the majority of the time he was on the bridge, the Defiant was leading a taskforce into CARDASSIAN territory so it'd make sense to have him around so the Cardassians couldn't use local knowledge against the federation if there was an asteroid field or plasma storm to hide in, etc.