The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old October 31 2013, 12:36 AM   #31
php111
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Re: What order should the TV series and movies be watched in?

Xhiandra wrote: View Post
php111 wrote:
So, release date order would be the order I originally posted when I opened this thread, right? Or if not, than could you please post the complete release date order for the TV shows and movies?
Well, if you want to be precise, the release date order (excluding TAS) is:
01. TOS (1966-1969)
02. The Motion Picture (1979)
03. The Wrath of Khan (1982)
04. The Search for Spock (1984)
05. The Voyage Home (1986)
06. TNG season 1 (1987/8)
07. TNG season 2 & The Final Frontier (1989)
08. TNG season 3 (1990)
09. TNG season 4 & The Undiscovered Country (1991)
10. TNG season 5 (1992)
11. TNG season 6 & DS9 season 1 (1993)
12. TNG season 7 & DS9 season 2 & Generations (1994)
13. DS9 season 3 & VOY season 1 (1995)
14. DS9 season 4 & VOY season 2 & First Contact (1996)
15. DS9 season 5 & VOY season 3 (1997)
16. DS9 season 6 & VOY season 4 & Insurrection (1998)
17. DS9 season 7 & VOY season 5 (1999)
18. VOY season 6 (2000)
19. VOY season 7 & ENT season 1 (2001/2)
20. ENT season 2 & Nemesis (2003)
21. ENT seasons 3-4 (2004-2005)

But it's of course an unnecessary hassle to follow it that way, just go TOS->TOS movies->TNG->TNG movies->DS9->VOY->ENT
Still, interesting to see how much was going on at the same time.

Thank you so much!
php111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2013, 10:29 PM   #32
nureintier
Commander

It probably doesn't matter much.

I'm currently watching/rewatching everything in order of release, and I'm halfway through the third season on TOS right now. I finally got around to buying the DVD set of all the pre-Abrams movies, also, so I'll get to those soon, too. There are a few I didn't watch at all yet, I mainly paid attention to the TV shows before. Haven't finished watching Enterprise or Voyager yet, either, so I'll get to those also.
nureintier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1 2013, 02:11 AM   #33
bigboojeg
Vice Admiral

Another vote for concurrently viewing the series.
bigboojeg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 1 2013, 08:25 PM   #34
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

What is your age and gender, and how much scifi do you watch?

No scifi background: Start with TNG
Male age 18-30, scifi background: Start with DS9
Male age 30+, scifi background: Start with TOS
Female: Start with TNG

Before women who love other series more than TNG respond furiously, remember I am speaking in statistical generalities, and there may very likely be some specific traits a person has that will make his or her best starting place different from that I listed.

The reason for my suggesting females start with TNG is that I know tons of people who watched TNG with their girlfriends then when they started watching other series their girlfriends lost interest.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2013, 01:29 PM   #35
Mutoid
Fleet Captain

View Mutoid's Twitter Profile

JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post
What is your age and gender, and how much scifi do you watch?

No scifi background: Start with TNG
Male age 18-30, scifi background: Start with DS9
Male age 30+, scifi background: Start with TOS
Female: Start with TNG

Before women who love other series more than TNG respond furiously, remember I am speaking in statistical generalities, and there may very likely be some specific traits a person has that will make his or her best starting place different from that I listed.

The reason for my suggesting females start with TNG is that I know tons of people who watched TNG with their girlfriends then when they started watching other series their girlfriends lost interest.
Most of the younger women I speak to (younger than me) prefer VOY. Its the least sexist of all the series.
Mutoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2013, 03:28 PM   #36
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

Which series you start with depends on what your interests are:
If you like heavily serialized stories, start with DS9
If you like more Episodic fare, start with TOS or TNG
If you like 'Serialized Procedurals' (i.e. Bones, The X-Files, Fringe), start with VOY or ENT
Old November 6 2013, 05:21 PM   #37
php111
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thank you all for the help!!

I would like to ask in order to be really really percised, should I put the movies and TV shows by release date and original airdate for each and every episode? Below is an example I am trying to ask if its the right way to do this by release order.

Lets take two TNG episodes and a movie of Star Trek V: The Final Frontier which was released on 6/9/1989. TNG episodes 18, and 19 of Season 2.

Up the Long Ladder episode 18 was released on 5/22/1989
Manhunt episode 19 was released on 6/19/1989

Alright, Movie: The Final Frontier was released before TNG S2E19, so the release order would be:

Up the Long Ladder
Movie: The Final Frontier
Manhunt
Would that be the right way to put them in order by release date?
Old November 6 2013, 05:42 PM   #38
bigboojeg
Vice Admiral

Well I wasn't saying go by release order but chronologically to Stardate. So everything TOS related will come before TNG.
bigboojeg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 6 2013, 05:58 PM   #39
php111
Lieutenant Junior Grade

bbjeg wrote: View Post
Well I wasn't saying go by release order but chronologically to Stardate. So everything TOS related will come before TNG.
I don't know how to read the Stardate. I see for TOS S1E1 Stardate is 1513.1. But I don't know what that means and how to read it. I also noticed none of the film has Stardate.
Old November 6 2013, 07:31 PM   #40
php111
Lieutenant Junior Grade

I just did a Google search for what is Stardate, too me Stardate would be confusing for me even to understand. I rather pass because I don't understand it.
Old November 6 2013, 07:46 PM   #41
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

php111 wrote: View Post
I just did a Google search for what is Stardate, too me Stardate would be confusing for me even to understand. I rather pass because I don't understand it.
You'll want to watch the TOS-centric movies prior to watching TNG. The Final Frontier takes place roughly 78 years prior to TNG season two, in universe.
Old November 6 2013, 07:57 PM   #42
php111
Lieutenant Junior Grade

BillJ wrote: View Post
You'll want to watch the TOS-centric movies prior to watching TNG. The Final Frontier takes place roughly 78 years prior to TNG season two, in universe.
Hi BillJ,

Thank you so much,

So, the order to watch everything in would be this order?

The 23rd Century Shows

The Original Series (TOS)
Set in the 23rd century aboard aboard the starship enterprise.

The Animated Series (TAS)
A continuation of TOS. It isn't always considered part of the official Star Trek continuity making it optional.

Movies 1-6 (The TOS Movies)
Set after TOS and TAS TV shows. "The Wrath of Khan" follows on from the events of the TOS episode "Space Seed".

The 24th Century Shows

The Next Generation (TNG)
Set in the 24th century about 70 years after the TOS Movies aboard a new starship enterprise with a new crew.

Movies 7-10 (The TNG Movies)
Set after TNG TV show. "First Contact" follows on from the events of the TNG episode "The Best of Both Worlds".

Deep Space Nine (DS9)
Set on a space station in the same era as TNG. Unlike other shows there is a lot of continuity between episodes making it difficult to jump into individual episodes. It's probably a good idea to watch some of TNG first.

Voyager (VOY)
Set on a ship that's lost on the other side of the galaxy. Set in the same ear as TNG but the show is mostly self contained due to its location.

The Prequel Show

Enterprise (ENT)
Set in the 22nd century making it a prequel however I recommend watching it last.

The Reboot Movies

Movies 11-12
A reboot of the original series set in an alternate time line making them separate from the original and self contained.
Old November 6 2013, 08:11 PM   #43
BillJ
Admiral

The 24th Century Shows

Set in the 24th century about 70 years after the TOS Movies aboard a new starship enterprise with a new crew.

Set after TNG TV show. "First Contact" follows on from the events of the TNG episode "The Best of Both Worlds".

Deep Space Nine (DS9)
Set on a space station in the same era as TNG. Unlike other shows there is a lot of continuity between episodes making it difficult to jump into individual episodes. It's probably a good idea to watch some of TNG first.
It's tricky here because there is some story overlap and some spoilers if you watch them in that order.

I'd probably go something like this:

TNG - seasons 1-5
TNG - seasons 6-7/DS9 - seasons 1-2 (intermixed)
DS9 - season 3
Star Trek: Generations
DS9 - season 4-5
Star Trek: First Contact
DS9 - season 6
Star Trek: Insurrection
DS9 - season 7

Here's a list of episodes in chronological order I found: http://www.johnstonsarchive.net/star...pisodes-1.html
Old November 6 2013, 08:16 PM   #44
php111
Lieutenant Junior Grade

The 24th Century Shows

Deep Space Nine (DS9)
It's tricky here because there is some story overlap and some spoilers if you watch them in that order.

TNG - seasons 1-5
DS9 - season 3
DS9 - season 4-5
DS9 - season 6
DS9 - season 7

Here's a list of episodes in chronological order I found: http://www.johnstonsarchive.net/star...pisodes-1.html
I'm sorry, but could you re-post that including all the series and all of the movies in watching order like above included all movies and series?
Old November 6 2013, 08:19 PM   #45
BillJ
Admiral

The 24th Century Shows

Deep Space Nine (DS9)

TNG - seasons 1-5
DS9 - season 3
DS9 - season 4-5
DS9 - season 6
DS9 - season 7

I'm sorry, but could you re-post that including all the series and all of the movies in watching order like above included all movies and series?
Just cut-n-paste the above over you TNG/DS9 section.