Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old December 4 2013, 10:23 PM   #76
ryan123450
Commodore

View ryan123450's Twitter Profile
Re: The Past Decade of Trek Lit

The way I took it books 2 and 3 were just compressed into book 2.

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.
ryan123450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2013, 04:05 AM   #77
Mr Light
Admiral

Do these two books tell a complete story or is it left hanging and never resolved?

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2013, 04:15 AM   #78
Christopher
Writer

Mr Light wrote: View Post
Do these two books tell a complete story or is it left hanging and never resolved?
They tell a complete story, covering the entire span of the war and the founding of the Federation, though To Brave the Storm condenses the plots of the planned second and third volumes into one, so it probably skims over a lot of stuff that would've been covered in more depth at trilogy length.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2013, 03:44 AM   #79
trampledamage
Clone

Sci wrote: View Post
Dude I'm only 100 pages into it spoilers
I apologize. From the way you talked, I thought you meant that you'd finished Book I.
I've edited your post, just in case anyone else comes in who hasn't read recent Trek.

Can everyone please be very careful in this thread with spoilers - since this is a thread specifically about someone who hasn't read the recent books.

And he says that like it's a bad thing...
trampledamage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2013, 10:09 AM   #80
Dimesdan
Rear Admiral

Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dimesdan

trampledamage wrote: View Post
Dude I'm only 100 pages into it spoilers
I apologize. From the way you talked, I thought you meant that you'd finished Book I.
I've edited your post, just in case anyone else comes in who hasn't read recent Trek.

Can everyone please be very careful in this thread with spoilers - since this is a thread specifically about someone who hasn't read the recent books.
Maybe it's time to create that sticky thread to remind everyone of the spoiler guidelines now-a-days.

I'm on twitter now. @DimesDaniel
Dimesdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2013, 11:28 AM   #81
2takesfrakes
Commodore

As I understand it, Paramount is very restrictive of STAR TREK authors, having its lawyers sending notes on "do this/don't do that" with their stories. When a story is basically "writing itself" and you've got this kind of outside interference, I'm sure it accounts for at least some of the mediocre novels that have been out for a while, already ...
Old December 6 2013, 01:12 PM   #82
trampledamage
Clone

Dimesdan wrote: View Post
trampledamage wrote: View Post

Maybe it's time to create that sticky thread to remind everyone of the spoiler guidelines now-a-days.
Yes, it really is.

And he says that like it's a bad thing...
trampledamage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2013, 04:36 PM   #83
Christopher
Writer

2takesfrakes wrote: View Post
As I understand it, Paramount is very restrictive of STAR TREK authors, having its lawyers sending notes on "do this/don't do that" with their stories. When a story is basically "writing itself" and you've got this kind of outside interference, I'm sure it accounts for at least some of the mediocre novels that have been out for a while, already ...
You're quite a few years behind the times there. First off, the company that owns Star Trek is named CBS Corporation now, not Paramount. Second, it's been many, many years since the studio licensing department has imposed such tight control over the tie-ins -- and it was never lawyers who were responsible for that. Back in the late '80s and early '90s, Gene Roddenberry's assistant Richard Arnold became infamous for the rigid restrictions and frequent interference he imposed on the novels, purportedly at Roddenberry's bidding. But Roddenberry died in 1991 and Arnold lost his job the very next day. It was a few more years before the novels began pushing the envelope again, but for about the past 15 years they've been free of pretty much any restrictions beyond the basic obligation of any tie-in work to remain consistent with the canon it's tying into. The folks at CBS have been very supportive and encouraging of our creativity.

The only people in recent years who've been in any way restrictive toward Trek tie-ins have been the folks at Bad Robot, who prefer to maintain close control over the tie-ins to the new movie continuity. That is, of course, their prerogative. But it has no bearing on the tie-ins to the original continuity.

Old December 6 2013, 06:49 PM   #84
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

I would be interested to read those ENT Romulan War books.... assuming they were any good
Most of the reviews, and comments from other readers that I've read seemed to be negative, but I liked them well enough.
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2013, 09:12 PM   #85
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
2takesfrakes wrote: View Post
You're quite a few years behind the times there. First off, the company that owns Star Trek is named CBS Corporation now, not Paramount. Second, it's been many, many years since the studio licensing department has imposed such tight control over the tie-ins -- and it was never lawyers who were responsible for that. Back in the late '80s and early '90s, Gene Roddenberry's assistant Richard Arnold became infamous for the rigid restrictions and frequent interference he imposed on the novels, purportedly at Roddenberry's bidding. But Roddenberry died in 1991 and Arnold lost his job the very next day. It was a few more years before the novels began pushing the envelope again, but for about the past 15 years they've been free of pretty much any restrictions beyond the basic obligation of any tie-in work to remain consistent with the canon it's tying into. The folks at CBS have been very supportive and encouraging of our creativity.

The only people in recent years who've been in any way restrictive toward Trek tie-ins have been the folks at Bad Robot, who prefer to maintain close control over the tie-ins to the new movie continuity. That is, of course, their prerogative. But it has no bearing on the tie-ins to the original continuity.
What Christopher said. The good folks at CBS are nowhere near as controlling as was suggested, providing you don't do something ridiculous and reveal that Chekov is secretly a werewolf or whatever.

A peek behind-the-scenes: CBS's comments on my most recent book, due out in February, mostly amounted to "tone down Scotty's dialect" which, to be honest, I had probably gone a little overboard on. ("Aye, there's a wee lassie" and so forth.)

Which was not exactly the work of a gaggle of lawyers--and probably a good call!

Last edited by Greg Cox; December 6 2013 at 10:19 PM.
Greg Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2013, 09:51 PM   #86
David Mack
Writer

View David Mack's Twitter Profile

^ Indeed. I received exactly nine notes from CBS regarding the manuscript for A Ceremony of Losses. All were relatively minor; I dealt with all of them in roughly 15 minutes and sent the revised manuscript back to my editor.

Join me on Facebook & Twitter
David Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2013, 10:15 PM   #87
Christopher
Writer

I got exactly three notes from CBS for Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel, and they were all just fairly minor questions/suggestions about word choices -- only one of which actually led to a change in the text, since I was able to justify the other two. So really, the "outside interference" led to exactly one short line of dialogue being rephrased, which is nothing compared to the changes made in the normal revision process.

Old December 6 2013, 10:16 PM   #88
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

More: By coincidence, I actually got back notes on another outline last night, which were very minor and, again, mostly along the lines of "don't get carried away" with this one thing.

Which is fine. My instinct is always to milk every moment for maximum drama or humor, so I appreciate being told when to dial it down a notch. (Like an occasionally hammy actor who needs a director to rein them in sometimes.) It actually gives me the freedom to go nuts and not censor myself, since I know I can count on reliable feedback later down the road.

In short, having another pair of qualified eyes weigh in on the outlines and manuscript is not some sort of oppressive, creativity-destroying restriction. It's a valuable part of the process . . . .
Old December 6 2013, 10:34 PM   #89
Relayer1
Commodore

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
providing you don't do something ridiculous and reveal that Chekov is secretly a werewolf or whatever.
He is then, and you are just not allowed to reveal it.

I get it
Old December 7 2013, 02:00 AM   #90
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
I got exactly three notes from CBS for Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel, and they were all just fairly minor questions/suggestions about word choices -- only one of which actually led to a change in the text, since I was able to justify the other two. So really, the "outside interference" led to exactly one short line of dialogue being rephrased, which is nothing compared to the changes made in the normal revision process.
Heck, I asked you for more revisions on your original novel!