RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,397
Posts: 5,358,664
Members: 24,627
Currently online: 458
Newest member: space2050

TrekToday headlines

Star Trek: Prelude to Axanar Online Debut
By: T'Bonz on Jul 31

Warp 5.0: Trek Toward Sci-Fi’s Golden Anniversary
By: T'Bonz on Jul 31

Takei To Host Pittsburgh Symphony PNC Pops’ Sci-Fi Spectacular
By: T'Bonz on Jul 31

Kurtzman In Mummy Talks
By: T'Bonz on Jul 31

The Gene Roddenberry Project Kickstarter
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

Moore: No Deep Space Nine Regrets
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

Pegg Star Wars Rumor
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

Borg Cube Fridge
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Free Enterprise Kickstarter
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Siddig To Join Game Of Thrones
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old February 9 2014, 10:30 PM   #166
Deranged Nasat
Vice Admiral
 
Deranged Nasat's Avatar
 
Location: I am here. You are here too. Yes.
Re: The Past Decade of Trek Lit

Mr Light wrote: View Post
Now, I haven't read any of the DS9 Relaunch books after the first couple. I didn't even know Sisko had returned to the world of the living until I read this book. Did other people have a problem with Sisko's characterization here?
A fair few, though I was not among them.

It's worth noting that Rough Beasts of Empire forms what is essentially a trilogy with Plagues of Night and Raise the Dawn - it's the "Sisko/Kamemor" trilogy, for all intents and purposes. I'd recommend withholding judgement until you've read the whole three-book arc; I know that some who shared your concerns were reassured after they had. Not all, but a fair few.
__________________
We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there; too much, the best of us is washed away.
Deranged Nasat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2014, 10:43 PM   #167
Defcon
Rear Admiral
 
Defcon's Avatar
 
Location: Germany
View Defcon's Twitter Profile
Re: The Past Decade of Trek Lit

Mr Light wrote: View Post
I'm halfway through reading the third Typhon Pact book, and I'm having a real problem with its portrayal of Sisko.

As I was reading it, I couldn't believe how they were showing the Sisko that I remember from the tv show. The one with a sense of humor and fun in addition to being a commander. This guy is morose and depressed and is abandoning his wife and baby girl. As I went along I was reminded I had this same problem with Harrison in the Lost Era book I read... and it turns out they're written by the same person!

Now, I haven't read any of the DS9 Relaunch books after the first couple. I didn't even know Sisko had returned to the world of the living until I read this book. Did other people have a problem with Sisko's characterization here?
You might find the review thread for the novel interesting: http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=134050
Defcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2014, 11:14 PM   #168
Thrawn
Rear Admiral
 
Thrawn's Avatar
 
Location: Washington, DC
Re: The Past Decade of Trek Lit

Mr Light wrote: View Post
I'm halfway through reading the third Typhon Pact book, and I'm having a real problem with its portrayal of Sisko.

As I was reading it, I couldn't believe how they were showing the Sisko that I remember from the tv show. The one with a sense of humor and fun in addition to being a commander. This guy is morose and depressed and is abandoning his wife and baby girl. As I went along I was reminded I had this same problem with Harrison in the Lost Era book I read... and it turns out they're written by the same person!

Now, I haven't read any of the DS9 Relaunch books after the first couple. I didn't even know Sisko had returned to the world of the living until I read this book. Did other people have a problem with Sisko's characterization here?
I would highly recommend reserving judgement until you read Plagues of Night and Raise the Dawn. There's a really strong character arc there. It begins in a very uncomfortable place, but the payoff is phenomenal.
__________________
The Almighty Star Trek Lit-Verse Reading Order Flowchart - be confused no longer about what to read next, or what to read first.
Thrawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2014, 11:52 PM   #169
Deranged Nasat
Vice Admiral
 
Deranged Nasat's Avatar
 
Location: I am here. You are here too. Yes.
Re: The Past Decade of Trek Lit

As an aside, we need to update your Almighty Reading Flowchart, Thrawn. The Fall can snuggly fit in under Cold Equations and The Stuff of Dreams if we move them up. We can easily add the second Rise of the Federation book and Protectors. See if you can squeeze Vulcan's Heart and the Vulcan's Soul books in somewhere, too ("Vulcan's Soul Trilogy" could work as Titan backstory, if there's room).
__________________
We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there; too much, the best of us is washed away.
Deranged Nasat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2014, 12:00 AM   #170
Thrawn
Rear Admiral
 
Thrawn's Avatar
 
Location: Washington, DC
Re: The Past Decade of Trek Lit

Deranged Nasat wrote: View Post
As an aside, we need to update your Almighty Reading Flowchart, Thrawn. The Fall can snuggly fit in under Cold Equations and The Stuff of Dreams if we move them up. We can easily add the second Rise of the Federation book and Protectors. See if you can squeeze Vulcan's Heart and the Vulcan's Soul books in somewhere, too ("Vulcan's Soul Trilogy" could work as Titan backstory, if there's room).
8of5 took over on the last update; the current one is about 4x as awesome as my original was. At this point, I really just provided the inspiration - you should PM him with ideas, he's done more work with it than I did.
__________________
The Almighty Star Trek Lit-Verse Reading Order Flowchart - be confused no longer about what to read next, or what to read first.
Thrawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2014, 01:50 AM   #171
Mr Light
Admiral
 
Location: Pennsylvania
Re: The Past Decade of Trek Lit

I'm basically planning on the reading the big TNG event books (Typhon Pact and Fall) then going back to check out the DS9 and VOY books.
__________________

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2014, 02:09 AM   #172
Thrawn
Rear Admiral
 
Thrawn's Avatar
 
Location: Washington, DC
Re: The Past Decade of Trek Lit

Well Plagues and Dawn are both branded "Typhon Pact" and feature the Enterprise as well, so those should be on the list already, yes?
__________________
The Almighty Star Trek Lit-Verse Reading Order Flowchart - be confused no longer about what to read next, or what to read first.
Thrawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2014, 03:39 AM   #173
Mr Light
Admiral
 
Location: Pennsylvania
Re: The Past Decade of Trek Lit

In that case, yes... though I skipped the Titan novel of Typhon Pact. I tried the first few chapters and it just really wasn't interesting me, and I don't really care about the Titan crew as it is.
__________________

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2014, 04:31 AM   #174
Paper Moon
Commander
 
Re: The Past Decade of Trek Lit

Mr Light wrote: View Post
In that case, yes... though I skipped the Titan novel of Typhon Pact. I tried the first few chapters and it just really wasn't interesting me, and I don't really care about the Titan crew as it is.
Yeah, it's basically okay that you did that... you're missing out on a little bit of worldbuilding with the Gorn (though it's not that well done, in my opinion), but not much.
Paper Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2014, 05:56 AM   #175
Sci
Admiral
 
Sci's Avatar
 
Location: "We hold these truths to be self-evident..."
Re: The Past Decade of Trek Lit

Christopher wrote: View Post
I've established in my novels that a civilian Federation Security Agency has existed as far back as the 23rd century, and they were shown protecting President Bacco in Watching the Clock.
*nods* I always assumed that the Federation Security Agency is the full name of the organization called "Federation Security" whose agents arrested McCoy in Star Trek III.

Really, why would Starfleet be responsible for protecting the president?
*shrugs* All I can tell you is that Articles of the Federation depicted Starfleet Security as protecting the President, not the FSA. Though Star Trek does of course have a long history of depicting Starfleet taking on responsibilities that a normal military doesn't.

The US President is protected by the Secret Service, a civilian agency, not by the military.
True. Though, of course, different countries have different agencies protecting their heads of state and government -- the British and Canadian Prime Ministers are protected by the London Metropolitan Police and the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, respectively, while in Israel, the P.M. is protected by the Shin Bet, and the French President is protected by the Security Group, which is comprised of a combination of gendarmes and police officers. So I suppose it's not unreasonable to think that maybe for a time, Starfleet Security functioned as a gendarmerie, too.
__________________
"Every line of serious work that I have written since 1936 has been written, directly or indirectly, against totalitarianism and for democratic Socialism, as I understand it." - George Orwell, 1946
Sci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2014, 01:33 PM   #176
Mr Light
Admiral
 
Location: Pennsylvania
Re: The Past Decade of Trek Lit

<<Though Star Trek does of course have a long history of depicting Starfleet taking on responsibilities that a normal military doesn't.>>

To be fair, Starfleet is not a normal military organization, it's supposed to be about exploration and humanitarian action over defense.
__________________

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2014, 02:12 PM   #177
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: The Past Decade of Trek Lit

^Even so, they're called Starfleet. As in, a bunch of ships out in space. That doesn't sound like the name of an organization you'd expect to guard the President on Earth.

Besides, there must be some civilian organizations in the Federation. Starfleet can't do everything.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 4/8/14 including annotations for Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2014, 05:53 PM   #178
Thrawn
Rear Admiral
 
Thrawn's Avatar
 
Location: Washington, DC
Re: The Past Decade of Trek Lit

Mr Light wrote: View Post
In that case, yes... though I skipped the Titan novel of Typhon Pact. I tried the first few chapters and it just really wasn't interesting me, and I don't really care about the Titan crew as it is.
Yeah, that's definitely valid. Did you read Zero Sum Game? I'd recommend it, if not; it's a quick read, and various details and plot threads show up in a bunch of other books.
__________________
The Almighty Star Trek Lit-Verse Reading Order Flowchart - be confused no longer about what to read next, or what to read first.
Thrawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2014, 10:59 PM   #179
Paper Moon
Commander
 
Re: The Past Decade of Trek Lit

Sci wrote: View Post
Christopher wrote: View Post
I've established in my novels that a civilian Federation Security Agency has existed as far back as the 23rd century, and they were shown protecting President Bacco in Watching the Clock.
*nods* I always assumed that the Federation Security Agency is the full name of the organization called "Federation Security" whose agents arrested McCoy in Star Trek III.

Really, why would Starfleet be responsible for protecting the president?
*shrugs* All I can tell you is that Articles of the Federation depicted Starfleet Security as protecting the President, not the FSA. Though Star Trek does of course have a long history of depicting Starfleet taking on responsibilities that a normal military doesn't.

The US President is protected by the Secret Service, a civilian agency, not by the military.
True. Though, of course, different countries have different agencies protecting their heads of state and government -- the British and Canadian Prime Ministers are protected by the London Metropolitan Police and the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, respectively, while in Israel, the P.M. is protected by the Shin Bet, and the French President is protected by the Security Group, which is comprised of a combination of gendarmes and police officers. So I suppose it's not unreasonable to think that maybe for a time, Starfleet Security functioned as a gendarmerie, too.
Christopher wrote: View Post
^Even so, they're called Starfleet. As in, a bunch of ships out in space. That doesn't sound like the name of an organization you'd expect to guard the President on Earth.

Besides, there must be some civilian organizations in the Federation. Starfleet can't do everything.
One thought: perhaps the Federation Security Agency was "militarized" into Starfleet during the Dominion War. (In fact, that may explain the source of Starfleet's ground troops– they were previously members of the FSA, not unlike the contemporary American National Guard.) That may be par for the course during times of war for Starfleet. I've recently been toying with the idea that Starfleet actually formerly becomes a military organization during a time of war, and then demilitarizes after the war's end.

Now, perhaps there was some institutional inertia after the end of the Dominion War, possibly due to the unprecedented scale of that conflict. That could be why, five years later, Starfleet Security, under Starfleet Command, is protecting the President, instead of the Protection Detail, under Federation Security.

Perhaps in the wake of the Borg Invasion, it was decided that Starfleet and Federation Security's focuses no longer sufficiently overlapped, and FSA was "demilitarized" out of Starfleet. (These reasons could be things like Starfleet being stretched too thin and needing to consolidate and focus on a smaller number of goals.) In the case of the Protection Detail, it would be a matter of paperwork and bureaucracy shuffling– Wexler and all of them would stay exactly where they were, they would just report to different people– or they'd report to the same people, but those superiors would then report to different people.

But I also suspect that, in the light of her conversation with Ross at the end of Articles of the Federation, Bacco probably expedited the removal of Starfleet's influence from her Protection Detail.

In any case, there's an interesting opportunity here to explore the role of the Federation Secretary of Defense and his/her relationship to both the President and the Starfleet C-in-C. There's a funky triangle there that's never quite made clear.
Paper Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11 2014, 02:47 AM   #180
Mr Light
Admiral
 
Location: Pennsylvania
Re: The Past Decade of Trek Lit

<<Yeah, that's definitely valid. Did you read Zero Sum Game? I'd recommend it, if not; it's a quick read, and various details and plot threads show up in a bunch of other books. >>

Yeah, I read that one, which according to wikipedia is the first Typhon Pact book. The Titan one is book 2, and I'm currently reading Rough Beasts of Empire which is book 3. It's funny though because #3 is establishing the creation of the Pact and it depicts the Borg War and Vaughn's injury which is shown as being old news in #1...
__________________

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:26 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.