A Baby For Saldana
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Klingon Beer Arrives In The US
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Star Trek: Prelude To Axanar

Abrams Announces Star Wars: Force For Change Sweepstakes

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old December 1 2013, 10:13 PM   #1
Saganistheman
Lieutenant

Harder, Stronger, Faster, Onward

Just wrapped up watching the full run of Enterprise. I liked it. Now it is time to move onward in my quest of watching every series in its historical timeline. TOS is up.

I did not do an episode by episode critique in Enterprise but I should have. This time I will post my reflections on each episode and if something is related to Enterprise I will mention it. Not going to look forward and speculate because when this series is done TNG will be analyzed and ENT, TOS, & TOS Animated series will be the references. Eventually Voyager will be last and will have every other series and movie as a reference.

So lets get to analyzing:

TOS Season 1 Episode 1 "Pilot: The Cage"

First I like how the Doctor is also the bartender LOL. Mixes drinks in a beaker.
Pike seems to be a misogynist....albeit a mild one.
Have to overlook the use of printers and paper being passed around. Maybe Enterprise should have used some form of paper communication, but I guess that would have cut down the realism....guess it's just easier to overlook that aspect of the original show.
Big question: In the Enterprise series during the Mirror Darkly story arc. The crew captured the U.S.S. Defiant. It looked like the TOS series Enterprise but Archer and his crew surmised that the Defiant's crew complment was a little over 400, but in this first episode Pike says he is getting tired of being responsible for around 200 people. Was Defiant a larger ship or is that a writing mistake?
Have to overlook Spock smiling at the vibrating blue flowers.
Hand-held communicators are huge!
What is the reason for the change in the transporter technology? On Enterprise NX-01 it was one big pad, and now with the original series it is six individual pads. I wonder why this was not addressed in the Enterprise series.
Overall a good episode. Social implication is definately slavery and man's will to never be caged. Thought is was quite funny that one of the punishments given to Pike was I am guessing "hell", and the Talosian said it was taken from Pikes memory of an old fable...Haha. Bet that didn't go over to well with the religious right back in the day.

I don't want to sound like a wiki here, so I will just be giving impressions and asking questions.
Saganistheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2013, 10:17 PM   #2
Maurice
Vice Admiral

Re: Harder, Stronger, Faster, Onward

Quickly, the pilots ("The Cage" and "Where No Man Has Gone Before") aren't necessarily consistent with the series, so you'll find lots to scratch your head about if you try to make them fit.
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2 2013, 12:02 AM   #3
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

Welcome to the real deal! Keep in mind that TOS is the original, and a product of its time. For much of its run, Enterprise played more like a prequel to TNG-era Trek than TOS, so the late-1960s series that you currently have ahead of you isn't always going to fit neatly between ENT and TNG. It wasn't made to...it was a standalone product for 20 years, other than a handful of spinoff movies (and TAS if you're counting that).

Saganistheman wrote: View Post
It looked like the TOS series Enterprise but Archer and his crew surmised that the Defiant's crew complment was a little over 400, but in this first episode Pike says he is getting tired of being responsible for around 200 people. Was Defiant a larger ship or is that a writing mistake?
The regular compliment of the Enterprise (and presumably her sister ships) in the main production episodes was 430, so that was the number that ENT was referencing. The Enterprise has a smaller crew in Pike's era ("The Menagerie" will establish that the events of "The Cage" took place 11 years before the first season of TOS). Offscreen, it was initially conceived of as a smaller-scale ship than they decided upon later, but that's not part of the canon, as it's supposed to be the same ship as the regular series 1701.

What is the reason for the change in the transporter technology? On Enterprise NX-01 it was one big pad, and now with the original series it is six individual pads. I wonder why this was not addressed in the Enterprise series.
No stated reason. They couldn't address everything in Enterprise, which was a prequel series (e.g., the characters on that show would have no idea what transporters would look like 100 years in their own future), but they had to make things look more primitive in some ways than what would come later in the chronology. They were stretching things to have transporters in that era at all, but that's a can of worms that I won't open here.
Old December 2 2013, 12:55 AM   #4
Push The Button
Captain

The Oy! Mixer wrote: View Post
Welcome to the real deal! Keep in mind that TOS is the original, and a product of its time. For much of its run, Enterprise played more like a prequel to TNG-era Trek than TOS, so the late-1960s series that you currently have ahead of you isn't always going to fit neatly between ENT and TNG. It wasn't made to...it was a standalone product for 20 years, other than a handful of spinoff movies (and TAS if you're counting that).

It looked like the TOS series Enterprise but Archer and his crew surmised that the Defiant's crew complment was a little over 400, but in this first episode Pike says he is getting tired of being responsible for around 200 people. Was Defiant a larger ship or is that a writing mistake?
The regular compliment of the Enterprise (and presumably her sister ships) in the main production episodes was 430, so that was the number that ENT was referencing. The Enterprise has a smaller crew in Pike's era ("The Menagerie" will establish that the events of "The Cage" took place 11 years before the first season of TOS). Offscreen, it was initially conceived of as a smaller-scale ship than they decided upon later, but that's not part of the canon, as it's supposed to be the same ship as the regular series 1701.

No stated reason. They couldn't address everything in Enterprise, which was a prequel series (e.g., the characters on that show would have no idea what transporters would look like 100 years in their own future), but they had to make things look more primitive in some ways than what would come later in the chronology. They were stretching things to have transporters in that era at all, but that's a can of worms that I won't open here.
I believe that the single-pad transporter on NX-01 was supposed to be for cargo only, that's why they would use shuttlepods to get landing parties on and off planets.
Push The Button is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2 2013, 01:06 AM   #5
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

It's best not to concentrate too much on the discontinuities in Trek, because you'll lose sight of enjoying the shows themselves. Star Trek in all it's incarnations holds together in broad strokes only. Once in awhile you might get a cute little explanation for something (like the Klingon foreheads), but most of the time it's just the powers-that-be moving the goalposts.

For example, at the start of TOS, they kept changing the name of the people who Kirk and crew work for - it was the "United Earth Space Probe Agency", it was "Space Central" and finally "Starfleet Command", which stuck and was then used in all the subsequent and even the prequel series, pretending the other names never existed. Ditto lasers not having stun settings, so they changed the name to "phaser" and later Treks pretended they were always phasers.

For a (hopefully) amusing look at some of the biggest continuity goofs throughout the Trek franchise, take a look at the Youtube videos linked to in my sig.
Old December 2 2013, 03:28 AM   #6
Saganistheman
Lieutenant

TOS: Season 1 Episode 2 "The Man Trap"

Whoot!!! enter Kirk as captain. Good solid episode with the beginnings of a stable cast.

Yeoman Janice Rand to bad they would not end up keeping her as a regular.

Best line in the episode:
Professor Crater: ...and your esteemed physician cannot explain our need for salt tablets?

Kirk: (irritated) We're all aware of the need for salt on a hot and arid planet like this professor, but it IS a mystery, and I don't' like mysteries......they give me a bellyache......and I got a beauty right now.

** I did notice, with regard to the first episodes hand "laser" weapon, that the Enterprise crew was using the classic phaser pistols, and the professor was using the ones that they used in the first episode **

Question: How much time has supposedly passed between episode 1 with Pike and episode 2 with Kirk?
Old December 2 2013, 03:37 AM   #7
Avro Arrow
Fleet Captain

Question: How much time has supposedly passed between episode 1 with Pike and episode 2 with Kirk?
According to "The Menagerie", the events of "The Cage" were 13 years ago.

Note that when you get to "Where No Man Has Gone Before", it's generally accepted to have taken place slightly earlier in the timeline, since it was the second pilot. The recent home video releases for the original series are in airdate order, rather than production order. You'll notice the difference in cast, sets and costumes.
Avro Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2 2013, 04:07 AM   #8
Saganistheman
Lieutenant

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
For a (hopefully) amusing look at some of the biggest continuity goofs throughout the Trek franchise, take a look at the Youtube videos linked to in my sig.
Thank you so much for these. They are great fun and I laughed heartily. I especially love the troll face on the entire Enterprise cast
Old December 2 2013, 04:08 AM   #9
Saganistheman
Lieutenant

Avro Arrow wrote: View Post
According to "The Menagerie", the events of "The Cage" were 13 years ago.

Note that when you get to "Where No Man Has Gone Before", it's generally accepted to have taken place slightly earlier in the timeline, since it was the second pilot. The recent home video releases for the original series are in airdate order, rather than production order. You'll notice the difference in cast, sets and costumes.
I will keep that in mind. Thank you for the information
Old December 3 2013, 10:54 AM   #10
Mister Spock
Lieutenant

The Cage does throw up a few inconsistencies. Lieutenant Tyler implies that faster than light travel is a recent innovation.

TYLER: And you won't believe how fast you can get back. Well the time barrier's been broken. Our new ships can...
Mister Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3 2013, 11:23 AM   #11
Maurice
Vice Admiral

I don't see how you conclude that. "Time barrier" doesn't mean "light speed". It could just mean their new engines are 10 times faster than the old ones.
—Glen Larson, 2010
Old December 3 2013, 02:24 PM   #12
Mister Spock
Lieutenant

Earlier Pike orders faster than light speed to Talos IV by saying "Our Time Warp, Factor Seven."

Basically, this establishes that warp speed is not only FTL, but also "negates" the time dilation effect about which Einstein theorized in his Special Theory of Relativity.
Mister Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3 2013, 07:58 PM   #13
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

The Oy! Mixer wrote: View Post
I just figured the Enterprise underwent a large scale internal refit between the commands of Pike and Kirk.

As far as canon goes, the 203 number is included in "The Menagerie".
Old December 3 2013, 08:36 PM   #14
Saganistheman
Lieutenant

Season 1 Episode 3 "Charlie X"

Ok, as a teacher I deal with children like Charlie X all the time, but I still wanted to slap him.

It is established that Charlie is 17 years old, and later on in the season, Chekov will say that he is 22, so what is the average age of the Enterprise Crew? Reason I am asking is that Yeoman Rand acts like she is so much older than Charlie. Sure he has a crush on her, and she tries to pawn him off on a younger yeoman by saying she is closer to his age, but I am really wondering the age question here. Anyone know the speculative age of most of the crew?

I still don't see how Charlie was able to escape the original planet surface in the first place, still, it was a decent episode that tackled the issue of teenage rebellion against authority.

The funniest part to me was Kirk trying to explain to Charlie about what was wrong with Charlie slapping Yeoman Rand on the ass. Classic Kirk!
Old December 3 2013, 09:24 PM   #15
Maurice
Vice Admiral

Mister Spock wrote: View Post
Earlier Pike orders faster than light speed to Talos IV by saying "Our Time Warp, Factor Seven."

Basically, this establishes that warp speed is not only FTL, but also "negates" the time dilation effect about which Einstein theorized in his Special Theory of Relativity.
Only if you choose to read it that way. It's really a vague statement.

I still don't see how Charlie was able to escape the original planet surface in the first place, still, it was a decent episode that tackled the issue of teenage rebellion against authority.
I always took it that the Antares stopped at the planet and picked up Charlie while the Thasians were on the loo.
—Glen Larson, 2010