Trek Business Card Cases
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Retro Review: The Siege of AR-558
By: Michelle on Nov 15

Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

Old October 27 2013, 11:20 AM   #1
Captain Jed R.
Lieutenant Commander

What do people want for the 50th?

The 50th anniversary is in a little under three years if I recall correctly, and I'm curious as to what people want to see for it in terms of film and television Trek. For myself, there's the realistic stuff, and the "crazy fanboy" stuff.

On the more realistic scale of things, do people think a new TV series is likely? I think they've got time to, provided they start now, and rumours abound as usual. I think the most likely outcome is something Abramsverse in origin, or we could see something totally new. I doubt "Prime" universe is possible anymore. I'd honestly prefer live action to animated, though both have been mooted over the years, but meh. As long as it's decent. In the meantime, there's an Abrams-esque movie to enjoy, which (even if it's not entirely my cup of tea, and they haven't been) will still be a fun action adventure worth seeing.

On the less realistic "crazy fanboy" side of things, I really think it would be awesome to have the current "Abramsverse" crowd meet the proper original Enterprise in a movie - even have it be Enterprise vs Enterprise, that'd be really radical and kind of fit with the "Superman vs Batman" scale of "crazy modern action s-f fantasy stuff". That idea works on the proviso that they don't mess with that 1960's design in the least of course, which I'm not sure I trust this production team to do, but that's just a minor gripe. Alternatively, an Abramsverse re-imagining of the Doomsday machine or something similar (finally getting to see another Connie in this universe, maybe) might be fabulous on an action level, just as a prologue before whatever story they do this time of course and not the entire story (not enough padding in the world to make that work).

Anyway, that's just some stuff I think would be cool. What about you guys?

Wibble.
Captain Jed R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27 2013, 03:24 PM   #2
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: What do people want for the 50th?

I would personally like to see an original series Constitution-class somewhere in the background with a nice beauty shot in the next Abramsverse film.
Old October 27 2013, 04:26 PM   #3
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Eh, even though the next movie will be out around or about the 50th anniversary I really hope they don't do anything bigger with it than an easter egg or two in the movie maybe. Anything more will really just take away from the movie itself, which I'm hoping will be refreshingly original and not some tie back, alternate universe, Enterprise-C scenario or other time travel silliness just to force some nostalgia.

DS9 and Voyager could get away with tribute episodes because they were each one episode out a whole season's worth of material. I hope the NuTrek production crew will keep their eye on the ball and turn out something original.

Now an hour long TV special or something would be another story altogether, though I don't see a new series coming out in the next three years.
Old October 27 2013, 04:36 PM   #4
Captain Jed R.
Lieutenant Commander

GoRe Star wrote: View Post
Now an hour long TV special or something would be another story altogether, though I don't see a new series coming out in the next three years.
I think the timeframe is fairly possible, all things considered: Agents of SHIELD for example took less than three years to make. I think Trek might be more difficult in some respects, but it could still be done.

Wibble.
Old October 27 2013, 05:13 PM   #5
R. Star
Rear Admiral

I don't see things at CBS changing in the next couple years to greenlight another Trek series. They seem reluctant enough on re-releasing the BluRays as is. As things stand they'd have to start in the next few months to get a series running by the 50th.
Old October 27 2013, 05:14 PM   #6
David.Blue
Lieutenant Commander

My first thought...

Star Trek Renegades turns out greater than anyone expected, gets green-lit and becomes a series. The 50th anniversary comes round and a special two-parter emerges for the event with lots of guest stars, from Patrick Stewart and Michael Dorn to Nana Visitor and others.
Old October 27 2013, 05:19 PM   #7
Captain Jed R.
Lieutenant Commander

David.Blue wrote: View Post
My first thought...

Star Trek Renegades turns out greater than anyone expected, gets green-lit and becomes a series. The 50th anniversary comes round and a special two-parter emerges for the event with lots of guest stars, from Patrick Stewart and Michael Dorn to Nana Visitor and others.
That would be interesting, definitely, and certainly it's what the people involved in the project want from it. Whether it's actually possible is... unlikely.

Wibble.
Old October 27 2013, 06:55 PM   #8
SeerSGB
Admiral

Nothing to big. Just something of a nod back to the original series.

BillJ wrote: View Post
I would personally like to see an original series Constitution-class somewhere in the background with a nice beauty shot in the next Abramsverse film.
This. You could even have it be April's Enterprise, the one that the comics mention.
Old October 27 2013, 07:33 PM   #9
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

What do I want? A new series.

Old October 27 2013, 08:35 PM   #10
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

Just the third Abrams movie, it doesn't have to acknowledge anything, just be out in time.
Old October 28 2013, 03:29 AM   #11
AviTrek
Fleet Captain

What I want is a tv miniseries(2-3 days 2 hours each day) crossover event providing a good conclusion to the Berman Era 24th century Trek.

What I hope for is a a 2 hour special retrospective.

What I expect is some CBS repackaging of existing material, and maybe the third nuTrek movie.
AviTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28 2013, 04:46 PM   #12
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Another great film with Kirk and crew. More good novels continuing the adventures of TNG, DS9, VOY, ENT and their successors. Abramsverse novels would be fantastic, although they're extremely unlikely.
Old October 28 2013, 06:55 PM   #13
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
Another great film with Kirk and crew. More good novels continuing the adventures of TNG, DS9, VOY, ENT and their successors. Abramsverse novels would be fantastic, although they're extremely unlikely.
I'm really hoping that Pocket decides to give us some books set during the TNG, DS9, VOY and ENT series runs. The relaunch books are such a disconnect from what I loved about Star Trek that I've quit reading them for the most part.
Old October 28 2013, 07:10 PM   #14
Sketcher
Commander

I want Chris Pine and Scott Bakula to team up with a previously unknown Enterprise captain
Sketcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28 2013, 10:11 PM   #15
Captain Jed R.
Lieutenant Commander

It's quite an interesting thing reading these responses, because I'm also on a Doctor Who forum, where expectations/fan demands for what the fiftieth anniversary episode of that show should have are quite different. In fact, some fans have suggested that having all previous incumbents of the title role is more important by far than having a truly great story.

Different shows, different expectations, but all the same, fascinating () to see and compare.

Wibble.

Last edited by Captain Jed R.; October 28 2013 at 10:44 PM. Reason: I despise autocorrect with a passion.