Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old October 27 2013, 01:43 AM   #1
TayLaLaLa
Captain

Dracula - NBC

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dracula_(TV_series)

Dracula is a British-American limited series[1] television drama that is expected to air on Sky Living and premiered on NBC. It is produced by London-based Carnival Films. Dracula premiered on October 25, 2013, and will air on Fridays 10/9c after new episodes of Grimm on NBC.[2] The series was created by Cole Haddon, and is a reimagining of the classic Dracula novel by Bram Stoker.[3] Daniel Knauf, creator of the HBO series Carnivàle, will serve as showrunner/head writer, working with Haddon.[4]

The series begins in the United Kingdom on Halloween 31 October 2013 on Sky Living.[5]

The network announced the series in January 2012 with a straight-to-series commitment, and in July 2012 the series was green-lit for 10 episodes.[3][6]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1jVcmDH43Y

Thought it was good...and it premiered good. http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...-debut/211457/

Was waiting for The Huntress to take down Dracula! Anyway...pretty good.
TayLaLaLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27 2013, 01:58 AM   #2
Saga
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Saga Send a message via Yahoo to Saga
Re: Dracula - NBC

it was certainly a unique take on the characters from the novel. i'm curious as to where everything is going so i'll keep watching.
Saga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27 2013, 02:02 AM   #3
Sto-Vo-Kory
Commander

I thought the blonde huntress was the coolest character on the show.

Enjoyed the pilot overall and the premise seems perfect for a limited run series. My hope is that the show producers are able to maintain the high quality look of the show for the remaining nine episodes (and that the Lady Jane character sticks around for the remaining nine as well).
Sto-Vo-Kory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27 2013, 02:07 AM   #4
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Meh, and yawn.

The only rise I got was when I realised that it was a Bend it like Beckem reunion.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27 2013, 02:12 AM   #5
JD
Admiral

I enjoyed it. I didn't like it as much as Sleepy Hollow or The Originals, but I liked it enough to stick with it.
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27 2013, 02:38 AM   #6
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

I enjoyed it, even though it was so radically divorced from Stoker's novel that I suspect it began as an unrelated concept (probably a Tesla-esque inventor versus a secret society that ruled the world) that had Dracula grafted onto it as a marketable hook.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27 2013, 03:25 AM   #7
Christopher
Writer

I have trouble getting past the music, especially the horribly anachronistic percussion in the supposedly diegetic dance music at Drac/Grayson's reception. Honestly, that didn't sound remotely like anything people would have danced to in the 1890s, or ever. It sounded like wallpaper music in "ominous" mode, so it threw me for a loop when I realized it was supposed to be what the characters were dancing to.

I'm also not clear on whom to root for. Is Dracula, a serial killer, supposed to be the hero? He's certainly not as devoid of charisma as Jessica DeGouw (Arrow's Huntress) as Mina or Oliver Jackson-Cohen as the most annoying Jonathan Harker I've ever seen. They and Van Helsing are usually the characters we're supposed to root for, but here VH is working with Dracula. So I'm not sure there are any genuine good guys here, at least none that aren't boring.

I do find it interesting that practically nobody in the cast is using their native accent. Jonathan Rhys Meyers is an Irishman doing both American and English accents (though why not a Transylvanian one?). DeGouw is Australian doing English. Katie McGrath (Lucie) and Victoria Smurfit (Jane) are Irish doing English. Nonso Anozie (Renfield) is English doing American. Kretschmann is German doing Dutch (I suppose). Michael Nardone (Kruger) is English doing German. The only lead actor using his real accent is Jackson-Cohen — yet oddly his is the accent that sounds the most fake to me.

I did like seeing Jonathan using a typewriter -- though really it should've been Mina. In the Stoker novel, Mina's typewriter is practically one of the main characters, as it enables her to type up and organize various notes and interviews and thus help Jonathan and Van Helsing piece together the mystery and identify and track Count Dracula. Heck, the novel is practically an extended typewriter commercial.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 27 2013, 03:45 AM   #8
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Christopher wrote: View Post
I'm also not clear on whom to root for. Is Dracula, a serial killer, supposed to be the hero?
After one hour, he does seem like the tragic anti-hero of the piece. Meyers says that, no, Dracula is the villain of the piece, but it doesn't feel that way yet. Right now, he seems like a character working to destroy the secret cabals that control the world.

Oliver Jackson-Cohen as the most annoying Jonathan Harker I've ever seen.
I'd rate Rafe Spall in the BBC's 2006 Dracula as worse. Nothing about that production is worth speaking of.

I did like seeing Jonathan using a typewriter -- though really it should've been Mina. In the Stoker novel, Mina's typewriter is practically one of the main characters, as it enables her to type up and organize various notes and interviews and thus help Jonathan and Van Helsing piece together the mystery and identify and track Count Dracula. Heck, the novel is practically an extended typewriter commercial.
Somehow, I don't think fidelity to the novel is what the producers had in mind.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27 2013, 04:00 AM   #9
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Oliver Jackson-Cohen as the most annoying Jonathan Harker I've ever seen.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 27 2013, 04:29 AM   #10
Christopher
Writer

^I don't think I've actually seen that one.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 27 2013, 04:37 AM   #11
Anwar
Vice Admiral

Be thankful then...
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27 2013, 04:46 AM   #12
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

It's not as bad as some make it out to be.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 27 2013, 05:49 AM   #13
sojourner
Vice Admiral

The actress playing Luci reminded me strikingly of Kiera Knightly.
Old October 27 2013, 05:57 AM   #14
TayLaLaLa
Captain

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katie_McGrath

She is cute.
TayLaLaLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27 2013, 10:31 AM   #15
Serial thread killer
Rear Admiral

View Serial thread killer's Twitter Profile

I gave it a go because I heard Robert Bathurst was going to be in it.
But I found myself switching off part way through the episode I'm not sure if its the writing or because I'm feeling like crap.
But because its only 9 eps I will probably stick with it.
Malcolm on Star Wars: "The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin. His father's a robot and he's fucking fucked his sister. Lego. They're all made of fucking lego."
Serial thread killer is online now   Reply With Quote