TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old October 27 2013, 11:05 PM   #16
Merry Christmas
Vice Admiral

Re: Crazily shaped assignment patches

BillJ wrote: View Post
The Defiant had the arrowhead of the Enterprise in the episode The Tholian Web, What they did in In a Mirror, Darkly was a retcon.
The prime universe used the arrowhead as the fleet standard, the Defiant in the mirror universe ( IAMD ) was from a different universe than the prime, IMHO.

Merry Christmas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 28 2013, 12:26 AM   #17
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Unspeakable wrote: View Post
The Defiant had the arrowhead of the Enterprise in the episode The Tholian Web, What they did in In a Mirror, Darkly was a retcon.
The prime universe used the arrowhead as the fleet standard, the Defiant in the mirror universe ( IAMD ) was from a different universe than the prime, IMHO.
Huh?
Old October 28 2013, 02:38 AM   #18
Shawnster
Fleet Captain

Maurice wrote: View Post
Only one of those links works.

Always test your links!
I did. I musta messed something up when I took out the red highlight on "patch"

Fixed them.

Shawnster wrote: View Post
Shawnster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 28 2013, 02:58 AM   #19
BigKrampus
Rear Admiral

GSchnitzer and Shawnster, thanks for the excellent linkage. That memo from Justman is especially interesting.
Old October 28 2013, 07:05 AM   #20
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

CrazyMatt wrote: View Post
All of the patches, I believe, from the original series were hatched from the fertile mind of Bill Theiss.
Yep, and a fan artist for Bjo Trimble's "wheel cover" Concordance had interpretations of these, plus insignias from TAS and a few originals.

When I was creating a fanfic set post-TMP, and then realising the insignia for my various Starfleet uniforms, I counted all the sides of the polygons used for the various insignias and realized there were no seven-sided insignias (yet), so I created this one for the USS Hood:

USS Hood insignia badge by Therin of Andor, on Flickr

USS Hood insignia badge by Therin of Andor, on Flickr
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28 2013, 05:22 PM   #21
jpv2000
Captain

BigJake wrote: View Post
GSchnitzer and Shawnster, thanks for the excellent linkage. That memo from Justman is especially interesting.
Indeed, it was.

I disagree with Justman's decision, however. I really enjoyed seeing different patches for the various ships.
jpv2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28 2013, 06:27 PM   #22
Cap'n Claus
Rear Admiral

Unspeakable wrote: View Post
The Defiant did come from the "prime" universe and slipped into the mirror universe. It's the same ship from The Tholian Web.
Old October 28 2013, 08:37 PM   #23
Shawnster
Fleet Captain

BigJake wrote: View Post
I'm 41 years old and have been a fan of Trek all my life. I'm still learning new things. I thought those memos and conversations were all very enlightening.
Shawnster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 29 2013, 12:44 AM   #24
Merry Christmas
Vice Admiral

Mr. Spook wrote: View Post
The Defiant did come from the "prime" universe and slipped into the mirror universe. It's the same ship from The Tholian Web.

In the episode The Tholian Web, the Defiant crew were wearing the insignia above. In In A Mirror Darkly, the Defiant crew had the insignia below.

Two different Defiants. From two different universe, the Defiant from "Web" isn't the Defiant that traveled to the Mirror universe.

Old October 29 2013, 01:59 AM   #25
Cookies and Cake
Admiral

There's a lot in Star Trek that wasn't intended to be nitpicked at HD resolution. This is one of those things.
Old October 29 2013, 02:20 AM   #26
ZapBrannigan
Fleet Captain

Closed Caption wrote: View Post
There's a lot in Star Trek that wasn't intended to be nitpicked at HD resolution. This is one of those things.
But it's still a little sad that ENT got it wrong.
ZapBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29 2013, 02:37 AM   #27
Cookies and Cake
Admiral

ZapBrannigan wrote: View Post
Yeah, but I don't think ENT necessarily "got it wrong".

I'd like to know why so many shots in The Tholian Web on the Defiant, in which the resolution is such that one would make out the emblems on TV's of the day, seem so cleverly staged as to cover them up. If the intent was for the Defiant crew to have an arrowhead emblem, then why all seeming efforts to hide the emblems? Did some costumes not have any emblems sewn on them at all? I guess that could be a reason, but then why sew any on for any of the Defiant crew? Why not just have the crew all face down or away from the camera, or otherwise hide that part of the costume?

Sure, we've seen the Justman memo, but a) the ship on uniform emblems had already sailed by then (ha ha), and b) Justman's memo is from the second season, but Justman had a different role on the third season than he did on the second. Is it possible that he changed his mind by then, or that there was a different policy then, or that he just didn't care anymore?
Old October 29 2013, 02:47 AM   #28
GSchnitzer
Co-Executive Producer

Send a message via AIM to GSchnitzer Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to GSchnitzer Send a message via Yahoo to GSchnitzer

ZapBrannigan wrote: View Post
Yeah, but I don't think ENT necessarily "got it wrong".

I'd like to know why so many shots in The Tholian Web on the Defiant, in which the resolution is such that one would make out the emblems on TV's of the day, seem so cleverly staged as to cover them up. If the intent was for the Defiant crew to have an arrowhead emblem, then why all seeming efforts to hide the emblems? Did some costumes not have any emblems sewn on them at all? I guess that could be a reason, but then why sew any on for any of the Defiant crew? Why not just have the crew all face down or away from the camera, or otherwise hide that part of the costume?

Sure, we've seen the Justman memo, but a) the ship on uniform emblems had already sailed by then (ha ha), and b) Justman's memo is from the second season, but Justman had a different role on the third season than he did on the second. Is it possible that he changed his mind by then, or that there was a different policy then, or that he just didn't care anymore?
I suspect it was trying to have their cake and eat it too.

Having let two occasions go by with ship-specific patches and with the edict from Roddenberry and Justman to not repeat the "mistake" in the future, they might have split the difference. They used the arrowhead patch like they were supposed to, but then tried to obfuscate the issue.
http://www.startrekphase2.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3348883/
GSchnitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29 2013, 08:14 AM   #29
ZapBrannigan
Fleet Captain

GSchnitzer wrote: View Post
Having let two occasions go by with ship-specific patches and with the edict from Roddenberry and Justman to not repeat the "mistake" in the future, they might have split the difference. They used the arrowhead patch like they were supposed to, but then tried to obfuscate the issue.
That's probably right. It makes the most sense.
ZapBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29 2013, 12:19 PM   #30
Merry Christmas
Vice Admiral

The photos of TOS are from screen capture of a DVD, not a HD Blu-ray.

We've seen multiple example of alternate universes in Star Trek, the mirror universe itself is one example. Given the difference in insignia , why the insistence that the Defiant in TTW and IAMD are the same ship?