RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,675
Members: 24,201
Currently online: 645
Newest member: KieBH84

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old October 26 2013, 03:13 PM   #1
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell
TrekBBS Secret Santa 2013

Strangely, it seems we've never done one of these, or at least not within the last few years. So, I'm doing one. Join me or die. Can you do any less?

What's a Secret Satan?

That's Secret Santa. And it works like this: a bunch of people (hopefully) sign up. Then, after a designated deadline, the person organizing it (that would be me) randomly assigns who each person buys for. You won't be buying for the person who is buying for you. It will be someone unknown. Everyone will receive a gift, and you won't know who bought for you until you receive it. Mysterious!

Sounds cool. How do I get in on this?

I'm glad you asked! Just go fill out this form. You need to do this by November 20th. When you sign up, please use your normal TrekBBS username, not your Halloween one. I want all signups done before (US) Thanksgiving, so I'll have time to sort out the responses and assign people. You can go back and edit your info if necessary, just please make sure it's finalized by the 20th.

I intend to hand out everyone's Secret Santas on December 1st. I will send them via PM, or over email if PM isn't working.

What are the rules?

Yes, there are always rules!

1. The minimum spending limit is $10. You can spend more--as much as you want. I envy whoever gets a $500 gift!
2. Once assigned, you need to make sure you get a gift for the member you've drawn, and that they receive it by January 1st, 2014. Failure to do this will ensure you aren't allowed to participate in this in the future (at least so long as I am running it.) Don't sign up less you are willing to do it! (I will cut some slack for long-distance international shipping, just make sure you send your gift promptly.)
3. Contact me once you've sent your gift so I can mark it off.
4. Contact me once you receive your gift, so I can mark that off, too!
5. This is not a rule, but a nice suggestion: once you get your gift, take pictures and post them here! Share the love!

See, that's not so many rules.

What if I don't want "certain people" to have my info?

I have two ways for you to deal with that:

1. Don't enter a shipping address, just provide links to wish lists on Amazon, Steam, or whatever you use for wishlisting type activities. I guess it might be hard to take pictures of a Steam game. Use screenshots?
2. There is a field for special instructions where you can designate people whose names you don't want to draw (and whom you don't want to draw yours.) You can also use this if, for instance, your significant other posts here, and you don't want to draw their name.

Use either or both, it's up to you. As for me, once this is all done, I'm going to destroy the form and all responses. I have no interest in holding onto your shipping addresses and I am too busy to stalk anyone.

THE LINK AGAIN, IN CASE YOU MISSED IT

By all means, sign up via the form and post here that you joined up. Have fun, everyone!

Remember the deadline: November 20th!
My blog
Robert Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26 2013, 05:30 PM   #2
Kestra
Vice Admiral

Re: TrekBBS Secret Santa 2013

I love this idea! Are you participating as well?
Kestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26 2013, 05:31 PM   #3
Captain Kathryn
Fleet Captain

Location: In Star Trek / Doctor Who fantasy land aka New Jersey
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Captain Kathryn

Yaaaay I was going to suggest this!

We used to do this on another forum I belonged to, did it maybe 5 years in a row. Since I no longer belong to that forum, I wanted to suggest doing a Secret Santa on here~!
Old October 26 2013, 06:50 PM   #4
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

Kestra wrote: View Post
I love this idea! Are you participating as well?
Yes, I'm participating. Would be kind of silly if I didn't!

I'll be randomizing the assignments, though. No playing favorites.
My blog
Old October 26 2013, 10:04 PM   #5
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Secret Satan? I assume that was a typo?
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26 2013, 10:21 PM   #6
Melakon
Rear Admiral

A Secret Satan is when you're driving to work and find out your brake line's been cut.
Old October 26 2013, 10:35 PM   #7
Pondwater
Fleet Captain

OOh, Splendid idea.

Does the gift have to be industrially produced (store bought) or could it be a handmade item?

Last edited by Pondwater; October 26 2013 at 10:39 PM. Reason: To add a question.
Pondwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26 2013, 10:38 PM   #8
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef

Owain Taggart wrote: View Post
Read the answer below it.
My blog
Old October 26 2013, 10:45 PM   #9
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

TheRedPill wrote: View Post
Owain Taggart wrote: View Post
Read the answer below it.

Ok, so you're just being mischievous . I might be in on it. I'll have to think about it. I could have sworn I've seen one done last year, but I must be misremembering.
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27 2013, 01:16 PM   #10
Rhubarbodendron
Commodore

What about data security? You are collecting the shipping adresses of the participants on a Google list. Google is infamous for collecting and selling sensitive data. It'd be far safer if you'd use PM or email instead of that form.

How about doing the whole thing like the Valentine Card "game", using PMs here on the board? You create a nice attachment, a picture, sound-file or greeting card, send it to a distributor and he/she forwards it via PM to the intended recipient (with or without telling who the original sender is). This would cost nothing but a little creative work and hence would enable eveyone to participate, even those who wish to remain anonymous. Also it'd be far faster than snail mail, thus guaranteeing that the gift arrives in time (unless TrekBBS' server crashes)
Old October 27 2013, 05:16 PM   #11
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef

Rhubarbodendron wrote: View Post
What about data security? You are collecting the shipping adresses of the participants on a Google list. Google is infamous for collecting and selling sensitive data. It'd be far safer if you'd use PM or email instead of that form.
Google is "infamous" for something they don't actually do. They aren't selling your home address to anybody. A lot of businesses use Google Docs, and they would be quite upset if Google was selling sensitive info from that. Google, as far as I am aware, does not really mine the stuff you put on Docs for advertising/marketing/sales purposes, mainly due to the outrage it would cause.

But, if this is a major concern for anyone, feel free to PM me the information the form is asking for.

How about doing the whole thing like the Valentine Card "game", using PMs here on the board? You create a nice attachment, a picture, sound-file or greeting card, send it to a distributor and he/she forwards it via PM to the intended recipient (with or without telling who the original sender is). This would cost nothing but a little creative work and hence would enable eveyone to participate, even those who wish to remain anonymous. Also it'd be far faster than snail mail, thus guaranteeing that the gift arrives in time (unless TrekBBS' server crashes)
Someone else can set that up if that's what they want to do. Many forums do Secret Santas almost exactly as I'm doing this one without problems. Feel free to participate in this if you want! If you don't, that's OK, too.
My blog

Last edited by Robert Maxwell; October 27 2013 at 05:33 PM.
Old October 27 2013, 07:31 PM   #12
Kestra
Vice Admiral

I signed up! Who is going to be my secret Santa?
Kestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28 2013, 12:42 AM   #13
Zion Ravescene
''You brought me here...''

I like this idea. I've been in such a good mood this month that I think I will take part too.

The only thing I can't decide on before signing up is whether to submit my Steam wishlist (my Amazon wishlist is nonexistent ) or to submit a shipping address bearing in mind that I'll be international for most of you. Decisions, decisions, but I have some time to decide...

Zion Ravescene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28 2013, 06:19 AM   #14
Gryffindorian
Vice Admiral

So this is about giving real gifts to people. I thought you were referring to virtual gifts, kind of like the Valentine's Day roses back in February.
Old October 28 2013, 12:09 PM   #15
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef

No, they're real. Well, unless it's giving digital gifts. But we're still talking about actual gifts you spend money on.
My blog