Trek 3 Shooting Next Spring?
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Old April 17 2014, 08:57 PM   #106
gblews
Rear Admiral

View gblews's Twitter Profile
Re: NBA Season - 2013-2014

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
Two things:
First, it is worth keeping in mind that technical fouls and flagrant fouls were the same thing back then, which is why it's more useful a measurement that one would think if we're talking about tough physical defense.

Second, I think the point more is to establish that the team was one that played fast and loose with the rules (and, hence, got a lot of technical fouls). There is a side point that technical fouls are bizarrely correlated with success, but I think the emphasis there is on the word "bizarrely." The point here is just that the reputation is well-founded. Relative to the time period, they were more "bad" than everyone else.

It is the same guy. Unless someone can show something wrong with his statistics, the math is the same either way. No one is necessarily saying there's causation, just correlation.
i think the guy is trying to show causatiuon as well correlation. His article states that technical fouls are "bizarely predictive of success". It's like he compiles stats and draws conclusions based on those stats without having watched the game.

Part 1 of the article, to me, appears to be less about how "bad" the Bad Boys were than how their success might be (or is), tied to the number of T's the team got.

Maybe part 2 will bring his point more into focus because right now it looks like he's way off the track.

Last edited by gblews; April 17 2014 at 09:15 PM.
gblews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2014, 09:27 PM   #107
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Predictive of success, once again, isn't causation. It's just a statistically significant correlation. In other words, if you compile a list of teams organized by technical fouls, you'll find the teams with more technical fouls did better.

I can think of at least one reason for this correlation that isn't causation. Bad players who also get technical fouls are kicked off teams. If you have a team full of Rasheed Wallaces, you will do well regardless of the number of technicals you get. But I'll wait for part 2 for more comments.
Old April 17 2014, 09:39 PM   #108
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

I can't stand to see the Hawks get blown out in the first round again. They're so mediocre it's annoying.
Old April 20 2014, 07:40 AM   #109
Borgminister

Good thing Indiana has completely imploded... "No H-mo"!
Borgminister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20 2014, 10:30 PM   #110
gblews
Rear Admiral

Wow, what's happened to the Pacers? Earlier in the regular season I thought they had a shot at upsetting the Heat and getting to the Finals. Then I started hearing about dissension in the lockeroom and then they started losing. Paul George may regret signing the extension.

Despite dropping game 1 at home, I still expect the Clips to beat the Warriors in 7. Hard to see the Warriors overcoming the loss of Bogut. That loss really hurts their defense although they looked pretty good on D Sunday, helped out by Blake Griffin's foul trouble.

Clips will win game 2 and at least one at Golden State to regain HCA.
Old April 26 2014, 05:18 PM   #111
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

So apparently the Clippers owner is super racist!

Holy shit

Seriously, go listen to the audio
Old April 27 2014, 02:10 AM   #112
gblews
Rear Admiral

TNZ sent out a mass tweet this morning.

It's been well known for several years in L.A. that he is pretty much a male Marge Shott. The apartment buildings he owns had refused for years to rent to black people. The recording just cements the fact. I feel bad for the players who are going to be bombarded by questions about this. Going to be interesting to see what the new commish will do.

The Clippers organization are already releasing their, "this does not reflect his feelings on people'. You'd think he would be denying that it was his voice (whether it is or not).

Yeah, this is going to be interesting.
Old April 27 2014, 03:41 AM   #113
Jedi_Master
Commodore

I think it is about time Donald Sterling gets his comeuppance. There have been several articles written over the past decade about his racism, and bigotry, but he has always been able to dodge any serious consequences or sue his way out of trouble. This time he won't be able to get away with it.

On a side note, who thought Dallas would be so much trouble for the Spurs?
Jedi_Master is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2014, 03:48 AM   #114
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Jedi_Master wrote: View Post
I think it is about time Donald Sterling gets his comeuppance. There have been several articles written over the past decade about his racism, and bigotry, but he has always been able to dodge any serious consequences or sue his way out of trouble. This time he won't be able to get away with it.
There's nothing really stopping him from getting away with it. Remember, the NBA (and all major sports leagues in the USA, really) is technically a monopoly, and what qualifies the NBA for its antitrust exemption that the teams are "independent" organizations doing business with one another as an association, and the commissioner serves at the leisure of the owners as their employee.

The long and the short of it is that there's no provision in the bylaws to forcibly remove an owner. Sterling owns the contracts, the rights to the images and the team brand, the stadium contracts, etc. If the league did attempt to do so (say, by trying to get every other team to fork out money to buy the team from Sterling, or saying, "Sell the Clippers or we'll remove them from the schedule in 2014 - 2015,"), they'd be hit with an antitrust lawsuit about six seconds later, and the league would lose. (To say nothing of the grievance that would come six seconds after that from the NBPA for lost pay.)

Basically, there is no legal precedent to say, "You said racist stuff, so you have to give away property with no trial." (If there were, Sterling would have been booted decades ago for being a slumlord who refuses to rent properties to minorities.)

I've heard Marge Schott brought up by some people as a comparison, but what those people are missing is that Schott never had the Reds taken away from her; she was simply barred from her role of managing the team.

Realistically, the only thing the NBA can do is slap Sterling with a fine (and even that's iffy, as California is a two-party consent state, so whomever released that recording -- probably the girlfriend -- broke the law) and maybe bar him from attending Clippers games for a while.
Timby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2014, 03:58 AM   #115
Jedi_Master
Commodore

Timby wrote: View Post
Jedi_Master wrote: View Post
There's nothing really stopping him from getting away with it. Remember, the NBA (and all major sports leagues in the USA, really) is technically a monopoly, and what qualifies the NBA for its antitrust exemption that the teams are "independent" organizations doing business with one another as an association, and the commissioner serves at the leisure of the owners as their employee.

The long and the short of it is that there's no provision in the bylaws to forcibly remove an owner. If the league did attempt to do so (say, by trying to get every other team to fork out money to buy the team from Sterling, or saying, "Sell the Clippers or we'll remove them from the schedule in 2014 - 2015,"), they'd be hit with an antitrust lawsuit about six seconds later, and the league would lose.

Basically, there is no legal precedent to say, "You said racist stuff, so you have to give away property with no trial." (If there were, Sterling would have been booted decades ago for being a slumlord who refuses to rent properties to minorities.) And there's no framework to unilaterally take a team away from an owner: Sterling owns the contracts, the rights to the images and the team brand, the stadium contracts, etc.

I've heard Marge Schott brought up by some people as a comparison, but what those people are missing is that Schott never had the Reds taken away from her; she was simply barred from her role of managing the team.

Realistically, the only thing the NBA can do is slap Sterling with a fine (and even that's iffy, as California is a two-party consent state, so whomever released that recording -- probably the girlfriend -- broke the law) and maybe bar him from attending Clippers games for a while.

I realize the factual nature of your comment, but it seems that the NBA is taking this seriously.
Could the NBA remove Sterling from a position of managing his team? Are there any other owners of the Clippers who could offer to buy Sterling out - with a nudge and perhaps financing from the NBA?

One thing that is already happening is that Sterling (who has managed these crises before) is claiming that it is a fabricated recording, that he doesn't feel that way, etc. etc.

I just don't see this going away, but Sterling might be able to ride out another one of these "incidents".
Old April 27 2014, 04:02 AM   #116
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

No, Sterling is the sole owner of the Clippers (he picked them up for dirt cheap in the '80s).
Timby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2014, 04:16 AM   #117
Jedi_Master
Commodore

That sucks. He holds the cards, particularly if his lawyers can prove the recording was "fabricated".

But man there are going to be some upset people for the next few weeks. It will be interesting to see if the Clippers players boycott a game.
Old April 27 2014, 05:06 AM   #118
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

Man, my Thunder are pathetic. It's going to be a long, loooooong off season wondering what might have been. Put a fork in them. They're done. That's just a fact. They give up a 14 point lead. Pathetic. They were doing everything they needed to do...then they took their foot off the gas. Again. They'll be down 3-1 in another minute or so. They can't beat this team three straight times.

Tony Allen (Eddie Sutton taught him well) made Durant his bitch. No denial of that fact. Simply the truth. C'est la vie.

EDIT: Tied at 80 all with 30 seconds left. Don't hope, Dorian. Don't allow yourself to do it. The Grizzlies are simply too good and they believe in themselves. For good reason. OT will favor the Grizzlies. It has the last two games.

Sigh. 4 of 19 shooting for Durant. Allen is in his head like a boar worm. sigh.

The Thunder steals the ball with seconds left. Reggie Jackson has two teammates in the forecourt to pass to for an easy shot to win the game. He throws it away. He fucking threw it away. OT. No chance.

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.

Last edited by Dorian Thompson; April 27 2014 at 05:17 AM.
Dorian Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2014, 05:43 AM   #119
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

Never mind.

HO-LY CRAP. Westbrook and Durant stunk up the floor like limburger on a 130 degree day and the Thunder managed to win it in OT. Reggie Jackson saved the day after all. I may die from shock.

I'm not kidding. Durant is a great player, but he stunk like a sumo wrestler's armpits. There's no sugar coating it.

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.
Dorian Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2014, 10:02 PM   #120
gblews
Rear Admiral

Timby wrote: View Post
The league may not "force" him to sell the team, but he can be suspended (more than just being banned from a few games) and that is what is most likely going to happen assuming the league becomes convinced that it is his voice on the tape. The circumstances under which the tape was released is not likely to be relevant in the league's investigation and decision.

There is no way the league cannot make a major statement with this punishment and maintain their credibility in this area. If they don't, the next player who makes an off color remark will just point to Donald Sterling, a known racist, and one of the league's rules makers, and dare them to hand out any punishment.