Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Old November 23 2013, 10:10 PM   #31
gblews
Rear Admiral

View gblews's Twitter Profile
Re: NBA Season - 2013-2014

DDD...D Unit wrote: View Post
Does the Knicks fanbase care about winning or they just want to see some nice 3s and lots of dunking?
Its New York, bro. I can't think of a fanbase that wants to win more. It is just unfortunate that they have been saddled with such poor leadership. Amare Stoudemire, indeed.
gblews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24 2013, 01:10 AM   #32
Wadjda
Commander

It's team culture too. Also could you imagine Carmelo taking a paycut or taking a smaller role.
Wadjda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24 2013, 08:16 AM   #33
Borgminister

Go figure. Bulls minus Rose. Pierce and Garnett acting their ages at the Nets. Indiana is the only threat to the Heat, and so in the Eastern conference this early already, it becomes a question of minutes management and injury avoidance.

Western Conference? Watch out, Tim Duncan has a black eye...
Borgminister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24 2013, 09:11 AM   #34
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

Borgminister wrote: View Post
Go figure. Bulls minus Rose. Pierce and Garnett acting their ages at the Nets. Indiana is the only threat to the Heat, and so in the Eastern conference this early already, it becomes a question of minutes management and injury avoidance.

Didn't Marc Gasol get injured last night. Also, the Warriors are struggling with Injuries with Igodala injured, Curry came back but he's not 100% and the various other injuries to Douglas and Ezili.
Old November 24 2013, 10:03 AM   #35
Wadjda
Commander

Borgminister wrote: View Post

Tim Duncan has a black eye? What does that mean? I did not watch the last couple of Spurs games. Did he get punched or poked in the face?
Wadjda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25 2013, 08:21 PM   #36
gblews
Rear Admiral

Derrick Rose out for the season after surgery to repair a torn meniscus in his right knee. How does a torn meniscus take a player out for the season, especially if the injury happens in November? That has to be one helluva tear. Maybe he had some of the cartilage removed in a previous injury. Usually torn cartilage is a 4-6 week, or maybe 6-8 week layoff.

DRose's career starting to remind me of Andrew Bynum's.
Old November 25 2013, 08:50 PM   #37
HaventGotALife
Fleet Captain

gblews wrote: View Post
Derrick Rose out for the season after surgery to repair a torn meniscus in his right knee. How does a torn meniscus take a player out for the season, especially if the injury happens in November? That has to be one helluva tear. Maybe he had some of the cartilage removed in a previous injury. Usually torn cartilage is a 4-6 week, or maybe 6-8 week layoff.

I predicted this while he was in College. It's how awkwardly he lands on his legs.

His career is starting to remind me of Penny Hardaway, not Andrew Bynum.
HaventGotALife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25 2013, 10:31 PM   #38
gblews
Rear Admiral

HaventGotALife wrote: View Post

I predicted this while he was in College. It's how awkwardly he lands on his legs.
Has he had prior right meniscus injuries?
Old November 25 2013, 11:18 PM   #39
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

No, but this is a pretty good breakdown of why Rose had a high statistical likelihood of re-injury:

As Rose attempts to move to the left, the outside of the left knee absorbs the majority of the workload while moving in that direction. This creates less of a challenge for Rose in the future because of the nature of the injury. Stopping or changing directions for Rose when moving left should be considerably easier for Rose to do as the inside of his right knee will bear the majority of the load in deceleration. The act of actually pushing off is primarily the responsibility of the outside of his left leg. As a result, Rose will be able to change directions when moving left, but may subconsciously rely more on his right leg.

In my description above, Rose will be forced to overuse his right leg considerably, resulting in a higher risk of injury to the right leg from foot to hip. We may see Rose tear his right ACL or retear his left, develop Patella tendonitis in the right knee, or suffer an injury to the right hip,or foot (which was supported by muscles already weaker than those in his left leg).

The biggest concern for Rose is the fact that Rose’s injury is an injury related to rotational stability of his left knee. The ACL attaches to the inside of the lateral aspect of his femur (thigh bone) and the lateral aspect of the medial portion of the tibia (lower leg). In stabilizing the knee, the ACL resists rotation. In Rose’s case, his lower leg internally rotated and could not stabilize before his femur began to externally rotate. The rotated out of sequence and in opposite directions.
Timby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2013, 12:50 AM   #40
HaventGotALife
Fleet Captain

No, I was just watching him light it up in the Tourney and I said "He has to stop doing that (how he's landing on his legs) or someone is going to be very disappointed in him because of injuries." To see a difference, (I'm no doctor) watch how Chris Paul lands. I knew he would tear up his knees and have chronic ankle issues.

I called Kevin Love "a big gump." "He'll have major leg injuries, too." I thought the 2008 class was going to be in for disappointment if these were the best players.
HaventGotALife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2013, 09:04 PM   #41
gblews
Rear Admiral

No, I was just watching him light it up in the Tourney and I said "He has to stop doing that (how he's landing on his legs) or someone is going to be very disappointed in him because of injuries." To see a difference, (I'm no doctor) watch how Chris Paul lands. I knew he would tear up his knees and have chronic ankle issues.

I called Kevin Love "a big gump." "He'll have major leg injuries, too." I thought the 2008 class was going to be in for disappointment if these were the best players.
According to the kinesiologist's website Timby provided, Rose didn't hurt the right knee while "landing". I can't recall exactly how he hurt his left knee but I don't recall that one happening when he landed either. And how does Paul land so differently than Rose?

And what is it about Kevin Love that you find that indicates he is more susceptible to "major" leg injuries? He is not an explisive leaper, nor does he take off with speed or quickness or use either as a primary part of his game.

But as an aside, Andrew Bynum hurt one of his knees (dislocted patella, bone briuse) landing. It was later determined that the way he was built, his legs, and body, lanky and heavy (though not overly so), caused him to have a propensity for knee injuries.

I'm still waiting to hear exactly why this injury is keeping DRose out for the season. If anyone hears, please post.
Old November 26 2013, 11:41 PM   #42
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

I'm still waiting to hear exactly why this injury is keeping DRose out for the season. If anyone hears, please post.
Because he had surgery to fully both repair and reattach his meniscus. If he had gone for a simple reattachment, he'd be back in eight weeks, but his knee would have been blown out again in a year or two. This was a procedure to both repair the cartilage tear and ensure that it's properly working within the joint.
Old November 27 2013, 08:47 PM   #43
gblews
Rear Admiral

Timby wrote: View Post

Because he had surgery to fully both repair and reattach his meniscus. If he had gone for a simple reattachment, he'd be back in eight weeks, but his knee would have been blown out again in a year or two. This was a procedure to both repair the cartilage tear and ensure that it's properly working within the joint.
"surgery to fully repair both..." -- both what??

So you're saying that the entire cartilage was completely torn away from the bone?
Old November 27 2013, 09:15 PM   #44
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

"Fully both," not "fully repair." Word order matters.

Rose required surgery to both sew the tear back together, as well as to fully reattach the cartilage back to the inner part of his knee.
Old November 27 2013, 10:00 PM   #45
gblews
Rear Admiral

"Fully both," not "fully repair." Word order matters.

Rose required surgery to both sew the tear back together, as well as to fully reattach the cartilage back to the inner part of his knee.
Ohhhh. The cartilage was torn away from the bone. I'm surprised he could even walk off the court. The pain must have been tremendous. I don't think I can recall a case where the cartilage had to be reattached to the bone. It sounds pretty freakish. Too bad.

Out for the year (in November) -- I knew it had to be more than just a simple tear.