Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Retro Review: Covenant
By: Michelle on Nov 22

Two Official Starships Collection Previews
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Old July 12 2014, 02:17 AM   #271
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Re: NBA Season - 2013-2014

Apparently. Makes the Lin trade seem quite dumb (not that I wouldn't trade Lin to avoid that poison pill third year, but the need to do so isn't first round draft pick level of importance).
Old July 12 2014, 02:29 AM   #272
Kronos
Admiral

James is the ultimate GM, leave town, the Cavs get 3 out of 4 top picks and build a decent young supporting cast so he can hope back on.

What a planner
Old July 12 2014, 05:03 AM   #273
Captrek
Rear Admiral

Kind of like David Robinson taking a season off for a #1 pick, but in triplicate, and picking up a couple of rings along the way.
Captrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2014, 12:15 PM   #274
Yanks
Fleet Captain

I guess the question is....

Why wait so long to announce?

...and boy did Miami screw up giving all that cash to Bosh.
Old July 12 2014, 01:01 PM   #275
Alidar Jarok

Bosh was going to get that money somewhere and Miami needed to look like they were doing something, but I agree, it's not the best way to give them flexibility this offseason.
Old July 12 2014, 01:13 PM   #276
Yanks
Fleet Captain

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
Bosh was going to get that money somewhere and Miami needed to look like they were doing something, but I agree, it's not the best way to give them flexibility this offseason.
I just don't think he's that good.

I thought sure he'd go to Houston.
Old July 12 2014, 04:14 PM   #277
Neroon
Mod of balance

Staying in Miami gets Bosh one more year of salary than he was going to get in Houston, though

As for James' comments... I'm with you Timby. So very well spoken and mature. If I'm a Cavs fan I've got to be encouraged. And if they DO sign Kevin Love... wow.
Old July 12 2014, 04:20 PM   #278
Danny99
Vice Admiral

Bosh will never lead a team the way LeBron or Wade can. We found out as Raptors fans that sure he has the talent, but he will not take you to a final all on his own. Though I doubt he will move elsewhere, if the Heat lose Wade, they could be in real trouble if they are banking on Bosh.
Old July 30 2014, 11:01 PM   #279
Alidar Jarok

So what are people's thoughts on this?

The NBA wants to change the lottery system to reduce the chances of the worst team winning the top pick. Obviously the Sixers don't like the idea

Currently, the team with the worst record has a 25 percent chance of landing the top pick and the team with the fifth-worst record has an 8.8 percent chance of winning it. In a new format, the bottom five or six teams could have an equal chance.
On the one hand, the Sixers are saying "Oh come on, let us suck one more year." On the other hand, either way, they're going to suck. They think they should at least have a year because they relied on the current rules being in place when they made their plans for the season.

So does this rule make sense? Should it happen this year or should it wait until next year?
Old July 30 2014, 11:55 PM   #280
Yanks
Fleet Captain

So what are people's thoughts on this?

The NBA wants to change the lottery system to reduce the chances of the worst team winning the top pick. Obviously the Sixers don't like the idea

Currently, the team with the worst record has a 25 percent chance of landing the top pick and the team with the fifth-worst record has an 8.8 percent chance of winning it. In a new format, the bottom five or six teams could have an equal chance.
On the one hand, the Sixers are saying "Oh come on, let us suck one more year." On the other hand, either way, they're going to suck. They think they should at least have a year because they relied on the current rules being in place when they made their plans for the season.

So does this rule make sense? Should it happen this year or should it wait until next year?
I could care less. I was enjoying see the "race to the bottom" this year.
Old July 31 2014, 12:35 AM   #281
Alidar Jarok

One thing I'll say about the Sixers. They didn't just say "let's go out and sign the worst possible players we could find so we can suck some more." It was more "while we're sucking, let's see if we can find some diamonds in the rough." They signed lots of no name players, but they did it for two week contracts and those who were better stayed on the team (basically, they treated the season as a long summer league). On the other hand, they are pretty brazen about not giving a fuck about winning.

But the number one overall pick was Cleveland, who did not do a race to the bottom. Even under the current system, the draft lottery isn't predictable.
Old July 31 2014, 01:04 AM   #282
Yanks
Fleet Captain

But the number one overall pick was Cleveland, who did not do a race to the bottom. Even under the current system, the draft lottery isn't predictable.
Yup. Not matter where the line is drawn, someone will push for it.
Old July 31 2014, 08:52 PM   #283
gblews
Rear Admiral

View gblews's Twitter Profile

One thing I'll say about the Sixers. They didn't just say "let's go out and sign the worst possible players we could find so we can suck some more." It was more "while we're sucking, let's see if we can find some diamonds in the rough."
No it wasn't. It was more like the Sixers intentionally tanked this past season and as a result were able to draft some potentially great players. The Sixers have been in full on tank mode since they found out Bynum would never be of any use to them.

Now they want the league to look the other way while they tank one more season. Also, the Sixers have to be the first team to admit tanking. And as part of their admission, they are lobbying the league to keep the rules in place which allow tankers to benefit for at least one more year so they can again take advantage. Unreal.

This has to be some kind of milestone in self serving chutzpah.
gblews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2014, 11:19 PM   #284
Alidar Jarok

I hope you're not disagreeing with my statement that their strategy was to use short-term contracts to scout players because it's precisely what they did. Yes, they knew it would help them stay bad, but they didn't just pick the first 12 terrible players. The plan isn't to just build through the draft, but to find role players who have been missed by other teams along the way.

Did they deliberately tank. I'd imagine so. The Evan Turner trade has no other real explanation. And they obviously have no interest in making the playoffs this year because they'll lose a first round draft pick. Of course, the rules weren't designed to discourage this, which is why they chose to do it the way they did. But draft day decisions may have been done differently had they known the rules would be changed the following draft. They relied on the idea that they could take a gamble with Saric over somelike like Doug McDermott because of these rules. We aren't doing the draft over now that they know things will be different.
Old August 1 2014, 07:56 PM   #285
gblews
Rear Admiral

View gblews's Twitter Profile

I hope you're not disagreeing with my statement that their strategy was to use short-term contracts to scout players because it's precisely what they did. Yes, they knew it would help them stay bad, but they didn't just pick the first 12 terrible players. The plan isn't to just build through the draft, but to find role players who have been missed by other teams along the way.

Did they deliberately tank. I'd imagine so. The Evan Turner trade has no other real explanation. And they obviously have no interest in making the playoffs this year because they'll lose a first round draft pick. Of course, the rules weren't designed to discourage this, which is why they chose to do it the way they did. But draft day decisions may have been done differently had they known the rules would be changed the following draft. They relied on the idea that they could take a gamble with Saric over somelike like Doug McDermott because of these rules. We aren't doing the draft over now that they know things will be different.
What I'm disagreeing with is your attempt to mitigate what the Sixers have done while trying to make it look like they aren't the first NBA team to (apparently) forget that the league frowns on tanking, and practically announce that tanking is their "strategy". It is easy to see how they're doing it but it still bolis down to setting your team up to lose.

Just because they are open to "discovering" any new talent that accidentally lands at their door step, does not change the fact that the Sixers are "officially" tanking. They aren't alone though. The Celts have the exact same "strategy". I'm sure that if they happen upon a young nugget while languishing at the bottom of the heap, they'd be open to keeping that player too.

What I really hope is that the league waits until the season starts and then announces their new draft process. That way, more of the tankers will get caught with their pants around their ankles.

#loser mentality.
gblews is offline   Reply With Quote