Two IDW Publishing Trek Comics Previews
By: T'Bonz on Mar 3

Shatner: Celebrate Life
By: T'Bonz on Mar 3

March-April 2015 Trek Conventions And Appearances
By: T'Bonz on Mar 2

Shatner Shares Nimoy Memories
By: T'Bonz on Mar 2

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Old June 26 2014, 11:19 PM   #256
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Re: NBA Season - 2013-2014

They might. The injury completely changed the picture and made the price for the other two possibly too high. If Nerlens Noel can play power forward, it's a possibility. But I would have figured the Sixers wanted to make an impact right away and Embiid is obviously sidelined. Sixers fans are anxious for signs of improvement.
Old June 27 2014, 12:56 AM   #257
Alidar Jarok

Wiggins, Parker, Embiid. So Embiid did not slip too far after all (and the Sixers did take him).

Apparently, Cleveland turned down an offer for the 3rd, 10th, and 32nd for the 1st
Old June 27 2014, 02:52 AM   #258
Borgminister

Embiid didn't look too thrilled with his landing spot...
Borgminister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27 2014, 11:20 AM   #259
Alidar Jarok

There was a satellite delay

He hadn't even seen his name called when they cut to him.
Old June 30 2014, 05:20 PM   #260
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Milwaukee Bucks send two draft picks to the Nets in exchange for Jason Kidd.

Way to spend two picks on a coach who doesn't want to coach and would have been fired by the Nets anyway after his failed putsch.
Timby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2014, 05:54 PM   #261
Yanks
Fleet Captain

Timby wrote: View Post

Way to spend two picks on a coach who doesn't want to coach and would have been fired by the Nets anyway after his failed putsch.
Agreed!

And he wants FULL control!

This is a head scratcher
Old June 30 2014, 08:53 PM   #262
gblews
Rear Admiral

View gblews's Twitter Profile

Yanks wrote: View Post

Agreed!

This is a head scratcher
From Kidd's standpoint, I don't think it's hard to understand. There has got to be considerably more pressure to win in Brooklyn than in lowly Milwaukee and he still gets the benefit of having some good young talent.

Besides that, from what I have read, he feels like he is getting stiffed on his contract particularly because Dereck Fisher got more from the Knicks. Why Fish's salary would be a particular problem, I don't know. Fish could at least claim a leadership role on some NBA champions.

Apparentely no front office responsibilities are included in the deal, per ESPN report. Interesting. The report states that the original negotiations ere between the team's owners and not basketball personnel. Later, per ESPN, after the story broke, the Bucks said their GM was handling the negotiations. This is a shaky way to start a coaching tenure, wih your GM seemingly on the outside looking in.
gblews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1 2014, 12:15 AM   #263
Yanks
Fleet Captain

gblews wrote: View Post
Yanks wrote: View Post

Agreed!

This is a head scratcher
From Kidd's standpoint, I don't think it's hard to understand. There has got to be considerably more pressure to win in Brooklyn than in lowly Milwaukee and he still gets the benefit of having some good young talent.

Besides that, from what I have read, he feels like he is getting stiffed on his contract particularly because Dereck Fisher got more from the Knicks. Why Fish's salary would be a particular problem, I don't know. Fish could at least claim a leadership role on some NBA champions.

Apparentely no front office responsibilities are included in the deal, per ESPN report. Interesting. The report states that the original negotiations ere between the team's owners and not basketball personnel. Later, per ESPN, after the story broke, the Bucks said their GM was handling the negotiations. This is a shaky way to start a coaching tenure, wih your GM seemingly on the outside looking in.
Interesting.

Didn't Kidd v Fish on the court? Did Fish always "win"?

Wonder if this is a driver for Kidd?
Old July 11 2014, 05:38 PM   #264
Neroon
Mod of balance

The King is going home!

http://www.si.com/nba/2014/07/11/leb...land-cavaliers
Old July 11 2014, 05:59 PM   #265
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

HAIL SATAN

Edit: Honestly, that SI piece displays a remarkable amount of maturity on James' part, and I really like his reasoning (though, to be fair, you have to do a tremendous amount of rationalization to convince yourself to willingly go to fucking Cleveland). But it's mature and realistic.

I feel my calling here goes above basketball. I have a responsibility to lead, in more ways than one, and I take that very seriously. My presence can make a difference in Miami, but I think it can mean more where I’m from.
That hits me right in the gut.

I'm also amazed SI was able to keep this under wraps for so long -- they had to have had this ready to go since last night.
Timby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11 2014, 06:29 PM   #266
Jedi_Master
Rear Admiral

Location: "He's not really dead... as long as we remember him"

Excellent decision by Lebron. My respect for him just went from "begrudging" to "actual".

Farewell Mr. Spock, we shall always remember you.
Leonard Nimoy (1931-2015)
Jedi_Master is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 11 2014, 08:05 PM   #267
gblews
Rear Admiral

View gblews's Twitter Profile

Neroon wrote: View Post
Pretty damned incredible. This statement makes LeBron appear to be exactly who did NOT appear to be 4 years ago; a person with a clear view of himself and how he fit into the world, the people around him, or what was really important to him.

The amount of love from Cle will be equal to the amount of hate heaped upon him in 2010. This is going to be real interesting to watch. Props to LeBron for growing up to the point that he wasn't afraid to share that growth.

NBA has got to be loving this. The league has managed to stya on the front pages of the sports sections pretty much all of the off season (even though not all of the pub was good).
gblews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11 2014, 08:33 PM   #268
Let the Good Times Roll!!

Wow.

No TV special this time?

Seriously, I think that's great for Cleveland, and great for the NBA in general. Good for him.

“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
1001001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11 2014, 08:52 PM   #269
Alidar Jarok

Interesting. Makes the league instantly more interesting (well, aside from the power disparity between the east and west).

And, with that, the free agency flood gates can open. Houston is clearing up cap space for Bosh, apparently sending Jeremy Lin to Los Angeles (and giving LA a first round pick to go with it).

For awhile, the rumor was Lin to the Sixers for exactly that. I honestly didn't know LA had the cap space. It makes me wonder why they went with LA over Philly. Maybe Houston didn't like the fact that Sam Hinkie gave Lin that albatross of a contract when he was in Houston and then was demanding a draft pick to take it off Houston's hands.
Old July 12 2014, 12:09 AM   #270
Borgminister

Bosh to stay in Miami 5/118?
Borgminister is offline   Reply With Quote