Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

IDW Publishing December Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Sep 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Old May 20 2014, 09:02 AM   #196
Borgminister

Re: NBA Season - 2013-2014

Spurs are looking scary... Kawhi might be the difference...
Borgminister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2014, 02:46 AM   #197
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Cleveland Cavaliers get the first overall pick again (with something like a 1.7% odds). Bucks are second and Sixers are third. The Sixers also get to keep the Pelicans number 10 pick.

So let the speculation on the number one pick begin. Will it be Parker or Wiggins or will Cleveland go for some other position (perhaps Embiid) instead?
Old May 21 2014, 04:24 AM   #198
Borgminister

And will Lebron rejoin them in 2015?

1-1 Miami ties it up. Don't think Indiana has the personnel for too many adjustments...
Old May 21 2014, 07:40 PM   #199
gblews
Rear Admiral

View gblews's Twitter Profile

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
Cleveland Cavaliers get the first overall pick again (with something like a 1.7% odds). Bucks are second and Sixers are third. The Sixers also get to keep the Pelicans number 10 pick.
Unless there is a no brainer pick out there like LeBron, the Cavs have proven time and again that they don't know what they are doing in many areas, especially the draft. With all the lottery picks they've had over recent years, not just the 3 no. 1's, they remain stuck in mediocrity and have taken the Clips' role in the league as the face of incompetence.

I'm not thrilled about the Lakers having to move down one number to 7th, but they also have a great track record when it comes to lottery picks -- Eddie Jones, Andrew Bynum, James Worthy, Magic Johnson. Kobe, though not technically drafted by the Lakers, was a 13th pick. Plenty of great players found in the second rounds too.

I'm glad the Celts got no higher than no. 6. They were one of the teams who was actively tanking.

Cavs will likely stick with whomever is the consensus choice as number 1, Wiggins or Embiid.
gblews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2014, 07:57 PM   #200
gblews
Rear Admiral

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
gblews wrote: View Post
Timby wrote: View Post

Correct, but California is a joint property state, so if the Sterlings' divorce gets fast-tracked, then Shelly Sterling does own 50 percent, and the whole saga gets even more messy.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but Shelly's "50%" ownership after a divorce would still mean only that she is co-owner of whatever share of the team Donald owns. Her ownership would not be separate from Donald's. Her name and Donald's would appear as owners of whatever share Donald owns.

The league might still take the position that they are forcing a sale of the Donald/Shelly share of the team because that "ownership" is in breach of league bylaws. I say, "might".
This is when I'd normally chime in, but California is a community property state so I'll steer clear. My instinct says 50% owner of the whole and it would be independent of her ex-husbands (which is certainly the case, at least legally).
Looks like we were all kind of right.

Silver said Sterling’s wife, Shelly, who owns 50% of the Clippers in a family trust and has said that she will fight to keep her share of the team, wouldn’t be allowed to keep the team as well.

Silver said that when the proceedings take place to strip Donald of the team, if the required three-fourths of the NBA owners vote to terminate him, “all ownership interests are terminated as part of that proceeding.”

Silver said that despite Shelly’s lawyers saying she can’t be terminated, that “it just doesn’t make sense.”

“Our position is under the constitution, based on Mr. Sterling’s conduct, if the owners ultimately decide that it is appropriate to terminate his franchise, the interest of all owners is terminated,” Silver said.
Old May 21 2014, 11:05 PM   #201
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Oh, I have no doubt they can vote to remove both. I think the question is whether her interest was automatically the same interest. It is apparently irrelevant, though. I guess they can't terminate ownership by owner, they have to just terminate all ownership in the franchise.
Old May 26 2014, 03:49 AM   #202
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

I believe I see faint signs of life emanating from the downtown area...perhaps.....it may be....

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.
Dorian Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2014, 04:06 AM   #203
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

......The Resurrection on Reno....

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.
Old May 27 2014, 06:22 AM   #204
Borgminister

I only hope Manu can play...
Old May 27 2014, 04:42 PM   #205
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

Oh, I suspect he'll play.

Old May 28 2014, 08:31 PM   #206
gblews
Rear Admiral

Speaking of injuries, what eactly was the problem with Iback's calf that he was declared out of the playoffs a week ago? All I heard was that the calf muscle was swollen. Even a bad bruise should not have put him out of the playoffs. If it was a rupture or a tear, I could see it. But it wasn't, was it?

Hard to believe Thunder med staff mis-diagnosed the injury. Could it be that Serge has such a low tolerance for pain that the staff assumed he wouldn't be willing to play with pain and were anticipating that with the "out for the playoffs"? Or was the team engaging in a little manufatured drama? Not that that would be so bad, I'm just curious especially since I haven't heard anything concrete about the injury -- just how "corageous" Serge is.
Old May 29 2014, 04:38 AM   #207
Borgminister

Vogel might have saved his job today against Miami... Lance Stevenson is such a card--blew in LeBron's ear!
Old June 1 2014, 05:39 AM   #208
Neroon
Mod of balance

Spurs vs Heat: the Rematch.

I am actually glad for and looking forward to this pairing. Duncan and James... two certain first ballot hall of fame players, and imho in-arguably Top 50 of all time.
- Proverbs 12:20
Neroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2014, 08:57 AM   #209
Borgminister

Surprised the Spurs won, especially without Parker. But I'm a big team over individual guy, so I'm happy it turned out that way, although there is always a pecking order, even on a team.

Duncan simply took over in overtime, which I was happy to see. Kawhi has so much upside, and he must use it next series, because the self-anointed king awaits.
Old June 1 2014, 11:35 PM   #210
gblews
Rear Admiral

By beating the Thunder in OKC in an elimination game without their catalyst for the second half, the Spurs put an exclamation point on who the best team in the west is this season.

To Thunder management, when you have a core that gets to the Finals, you don't start screwing around with it before that team has shown that it is incapable of winning a championship as constructed. Then, if changes need to be made, they should be made with the idea of obtaining the players/chemistry needed to get the ring. Trading one of your best core players because you don't want to pay him is a sure way to allow a wide open window of opportunity to close with nothing to show for it.

Last season I thought the only thing that separated Heat/Spurs was HCA. Having HCA this season along with some championship experience for the young guys, I think the Spurs get another ring. Of note, this season they're going back to the 22111 format. That means that crucial game 5 will be played at Miami. That is a clear advantage for the Heat.

For the record, not rooting for the Spurs, don't want them to get a 5th ring in the last 15 years to match the Lakers, but I also don't want to see the Heat join the Lakers, Bulls, and Celts in the very exclusive 3Peat club.