RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,657
Members: 24,813
Currently online: 563
Newest member: SB118_Pavlova

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old October 27 2013, 06:22 PM   #16
Tom Hendricks
Commodore

View Tom Hendricks's Twitter Profile
Re: Most popular male names since 1960s

We were very deliberate in the names we chose for our kids. I wanted to use names that were short and couldn't be shorten or had other nicknames. We wanted the names to be different but not so unique that it would be weird.

So we chose Ian Riley for my oldest. I wanted to name our oldest Ian Malcolm, yes after the scientist from Jurassic Park. My wife wanted to name him Riley Hunter, so we compromised with Ian Riley. We decided to used a R name as the middle name to honor her father Robert. Ian is ranked about 75th in the US.

Our second son Aaron Liam was named after her Uncle who passed away a few days before he was born. This uncle was very important to my wife, helped her family though when her dad died when she was a child. I wanted to name him Jared Chase and she originally wanted Avery Tyler. We decided that we would also choose a middle name to begin with L to honor my father Leo. Aaron is currently ranked #65 in the US.

Our third child, Kira Avery was super easy. We both chose the name Kira/Kiera from the start. However I wanted Kira Paige and my wife wanted Kiera Avery. To compromised we used the Kira spelling and we used the name Avery for her middle name. Kira is currently ranked #359 in the US.

Of course I'm a creationist. I believe man created god.
Tom Hendricks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 28 2013, 12:54 AM   #17
iguana_tonante
Admiral

Kestra wrote: View Post
And yes iguana, I like that your son's name is fairly easy to say even for non-Italians. I don't think that sort of thing is a requirement, but it's definitely a bonus when it's a name you already like.
I agree, it's not required but it's really a plus, especially since I work in a very international environment, so I expect my son to be exposed to different languages from early on.

I laugh at Death wrote: View Post
I wanted to use names that were short and couldn't be shorten or had other nicknames.
I must confess, I never really understood this reasoning (and I've heard it often, so it must be something wrong with me, I suppose). As I mentioned, my name is pretty long, so it gets shorted often (and sometimes in different ways - in fact, I think my mother is the only one who consistently uses my full given name). I don't see the harm in it.

Also, nicknames have often nothing to do with given names, so it's not like as a parent you can do anything about that. I am pretty sure my parents never expected anyone to call me "iguana" when I grew up.
Old October 28 2013, 01:37 AM   #18
IndyJones
Vice Admiral

Stephen! wrote: View Post
Too many Jacobs ...
I find the Twilight of it all a little depressing.
Travel's fatal to prejudice, bigotry, narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things can't be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's life.
IndyJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28 2013, 01:54 AM   #19
Tora Ziyal
Rear Admiral

^ Exactly. Great name, terrible connection.
Tora Ziyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2013, 11:20 PM   #20
publiusr
Commodore

Not a lot of Jeffs...There is a football player called Jeff Wright, a director and firefighter I think--and Jeffrey Wright the actor....So I have competition
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4 2013, 05:33 AM   #21
RoJoHen
Awesome

Really? I went to school with at least 3 Jeffs that I can think of off hand.