RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,697
Members: 24,830
Currently online: 458
Newest member: honeybadger

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old December 4 2013, 03:07 PM   #1
Lonemagpie
Writer

Ripper Street Cancelled

Fuck - Ripper Street cancelled, and the beans spilled by Jerome Flynn

http://tvclaw.wordpress.com/2013/12/...-is-cancelled/

http://tv.uk.msn.com/news/bbc-axes-r...t-over-ratings

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4 2013, 03:48 PM   #2
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson
Re: Ripper Street Cancelled

That's crap. I wonder what BBC America has to say about this decision, as they were coproducers on it.

This could turn out like the Primevil cancellation; BBC America ended up saving it.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4 2013, 03:56 PM   #3
Icemizer
Fleet Captain

Yea sure, can the terrific period show and put on another cheap reality time waster. This show was great and I will miss it.
Icemizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4 2013, 05:58 PM   #4
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

This worries be about Orphan Black. It seems BBC America shows can only make it to two seasons and not more.
Old December 4 2013, 06:14 PM   #5
Lonemagpie
Writer

Orphan Black has less of a problem, as it's on a niche channel in a niche timeslot anyway, not primetime on the main network.

Old December 4 2013, 06:38 PM   #6
Saul
Rear Admiral

Never got past the first episode. Seemed too much of a rip on other stuff already out there.
Old December 4 2013, 09:07 PM   #7
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Lonemagpie wrote: View Post
Orphan Black has less of a problem, as it's on a niche channel in a niche timeslot anyway, not primetime on the main network.
Also, BBC Three isn't involved in the production of the series. They're buying it from Worldwide.

allyngibson.net
Old December 5 2013, 02:48 AM   #8
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral

Oh Gawdammit. First Copper and now it's nicer twin Ripper Street gets the axe. This sucks.
auntiehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2013, 03:02 AM   #9
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

Damian Michael Barcroft writes about the cancellation and what it says about the BBC.

Yes, some of it's sour grapes, especially the swipe he takes at Steven Moffat, Mark Gatiss, Doctor Who, and Sherlock, but he makes some good points about the BBC, its mission, and its audience.

ETA: If you're wondering, "Why should I care about what Damian Michael Barcroft thinks?" he runs the series' official twitter feed.

allyngibson.net

Last edited by Allyn Gibson; December 5 2013 at 03:36 AM.
Old December 11 2013, 01:11 PM   #10
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

Bleeding Cool reports on the possibility of Lovefilm saving the series with a cofunding deal.

allyngibson.net
Old December 11 2013, 01:19 PM   #11
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

bigdaddy wrote: View Post
This worries be about Orphan Black. It seems BBC America shows can only make it to two seasons and not more.
Yeah, I didn't watch Ripper Street, but after Copper, I kind of wonder about the future of BBC America's original programming.
Old December 11 2013, 07:13 PM   #12
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
Bleeding Cool reports on the possibility of Lovefilm saving the series with a cofunding deal.

Oh, how I hope that is true!
auntiehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11 2013, 09:42 PM   #13
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

Variety and the Radio Times are both reporting on this.

From Radio Times:

Under the terms currently being discussed, a third series could still end up on BBC1, with the BBC believed to be in line to win a secondary rights deal to show it soon after it airs online. This would mean that BBC1 would show the series after it aired on LOVEFiLM or whoever else secures the rights. The new distributors would also be expected to fund most of the production costs.

A BBC source confirmed the details and said that it did not represent a U-turn by the Corporation which is understood to have decided that the show was not getting enough viewers to warrant the commission of a third series.

"It is not a back track – we would still get to show it but at a reduced rate which represents value for money for licence fee payers," a source told RadioTimes.com

The Corporation issued a statement which said: "The BBC is looking at partnerships that could enable Ripper Street to return but at better value to licence fee payers."
Sounds like the BBC wants to air it if it gets made, but they don't want to pay much, if anything, to make it. This makes me feel a little less optimistic about the future of Ripper Street than I did this morning.

allyngibson.net
Old December 11 2013, 09:54 PM   #14
Lonemagpie
Writer

Frankly I'd like to seem them take it to Alibi, and let them have the double with Murdoch and Ripper Street...

Or flip the BBC the bird, make a movie, and sell the TV rights to Channel 4.

Meanwhile, BBC hypocrisy knows no bounds- http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-25332106 "BBC Told to improve peak time drama"....

Old December 11 2013, 09:57 PM   #15
Lonemagpie
Writer

Death In Paradise will be next to go, but it'll probably deserve it, on account of it being a show dependent entirely on the chemistry between the two leads, one of whom is being replaced by Kris fucking Marshall halfway through the next season. So that'll be the end of that...