Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

City on the Edge of Forever #3 Preview

TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science and Technology

Science and Technology "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan.

Old January 20 2014, 01:09 PM   #1
Deckerd
Fleet Arse

TV vs mobile devices

OFCOM is currently planning to move digital TV from 700MHz to 600MHz to free up that spectrum for mobile devices but the debate has revealed some interesting stuff. The well-rehearsed view on this board that TV is on the way out is not borne out by the facts.

Freeview creates "more value per unit of spectrum" than mobile broadband and generates almost £80bn a year for the UK economy, as well as promoting competition by ensuring viewers have a choice of how to watch.
Linkydoodle

Also the idea that tablet and other portable device usage, which is still increasing exponentially is also increasing in profit, doesn't seem to be clear cut either. Buying into the new frequency, which is supposed to bring the UK into line with the USA and China, will be very expensive.

Their traffic is growing but the underlying revenues are not.

As one mobile phone company source put it: "We would like more mobile spectrum, but we're not gagging for it."
I've always been of the opinion that the anticipated rapid demise of broadcast TV was erroneous. It may happen some time but not soon. The appetite for real time broadcast has not substantially diminished in the UK at least.
Old January 21 2014, 08:05 PM   #2
Rhubarbodendron
Commodore

Re: TV vs mobile devices

here neither, but in Germany both have always had different frequency bands.
I think the quality (or lack thereof, rather) is a much more important reason for people to watch less TV. If you have 50 stations which leave you to chose between Big Brother, a talkshow about the advantages of sodomy over child abuse, a 24 hour advertizing loop or the 128715th episode of a soap opera about a gay hobo falling for Chancellor Merkel (no offense to gays intended), you begin to find even a political debate refreshing.
When I moved, 1 1/2 years ago, I found that my cable provider doesn't serve this building. Somehow I still didn't get around to installing a satellite dish and so I only occasionally watch live streams on my computer if there's some really interesting topic (mainly astronomical, historical or biological documentaries). About once or twice a month. I can search as I like, there's just nothing interesting on, the rest of the time.

Admittedly, we tend to view our childhood in a somewhat mellow light. Yet, I think back in the 60s and 70s the TV programme was a lot better than today.

Last edited by Rhubarbodendron; January 21 2014 at 08:07 PM. Reason: edited for grammar
Rhubarbodendron is offline   Reply With Quote