Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

IDW Publishing December Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Sep 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Old September 21 2013, 01:15 AM   #1
The Overlord
Captain

The Robots From Prototype

Sfdebris made an interesting suggestion in one of his latest reviews, that the robots from Prototype should have been reoccurring villains, instead of a one shot bad guy. That's an interesting idea, because there have only been a few robots in the Star Trek Universe and having a race of robots would have new type of enemy. The Kazon were not working as the main villains and Voyager ruined the Borg by overusing them, so maybe having the robots be the main villains would have been better and they likely would have gotten a better costume if they were reoccurring bad guys rather then one shot baddies.

So should the robots from Prototype been reoccurring bad guys or were they better as one shot characters?

http://www.sfdebris.com/videos/startrek/v829.asp
The Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2013, 01:16 AM   #2
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: The Robots From Prototype

Dalek's have burned me out on robots.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2013, 01:27 AM   #3
Pondwater
Commodore

One shot Villains.

They were created by Pralor and Cravic, opposing races that were hell bent in destroying each other. The Automated Personnel units just carried that out posthumously .
Pondwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2013, 01:46 AM   #4
The Overlord
Captain

Pondwater wrote: View Post
One shot Villains.

They were created by Pralor and Cravic, opposing races that were hell bent in destroying each other. The Automated Personnel units just carried that out posthumously .
Except the writers could have just given the robots a different motive that would have made them suitable for reoccurring villains.

They were certainly a better choice then the Kazon and the Borg work best when used very sparingly, look how often TNG used the Borg, they were menacing because they didn't appear very often and when they did, they seemed almost unstoppable.

If the Borg only showed in epic stories in Voyager, like Scorpion, then they wouldn't have suffered such villain decay, but having them appear in underwhelming episodes like Unimaterix Zero undermined their menace. Even they appearance in Endgame made them seem like a shadow of their former selves.

I think the Voyager crew needed a reoccurring foe that wasn't lame like Kazon, but using the Borg in that role ruined their menace and mystique. They needed their own interesting reoccurring villains and those robots were not a bad place to start.
Old September 21 2013, 02:28 AM   #5
R. Star
Rear Admiral

A robotic villain that isn't the Borg might've been interesting... but not those silly mime robots. They had no staying power whatsoever.
Old September 21 2013, 02:47 AM   #6
The Overlord
Captain

R. Star wrote: View Post
A robotic villain that isn't the Borg might've been interesting... but not those silly mime robots. They had no staying power whatsoever.
As Sfdebris noted, if the robots were reoccurring villains, they may have gotten a better costume, because a reoccurring villain is going to get a better budget then a one shot baddie.
Old September 21 2013, 02:53 AM   #7
Tosk
Rear Admiral

teacake wrote: View Post
Dalek's have burned me out on robots.
Daleks are cyborgs, not robots.
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2013, 06:29 AM   #8
teacake
Admiral

I know, I know.. I've just never had that mech fascination.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old September 21 2013, 07:16 AM   #9
R. Star
Rear Admiral

The Overlord wrote: View Post
R. Star wrote: View Post
As Sfdebris noted, if the robots were reoccurring villains, they may have gotten a better costume, because a reoccurring villain is going to get a better budget then a one shot baddie.
They could've looked awesome. That doesn't mean as written their culture of kill the creators so we can kill the other robots who killed their creators isn't silly.
Old September 21 2013, 08:35 AM   #10
Tiberius
Commodore

Those Automated Units never worked for me, because there's a huge flaw in the idea behind them, namely, the ship of Theseus.

So, I can use any old part to repair one of these bots and it will work. Arm, leg, brain, cooling system, whatever, and it will work. BUT I can't do it with the power supply. The power supply only works for one robot and one robot alone.

That just doesn't work.

So I have an automated Unit. I'll call him Bill. I decide to replace Bill's arm with a spare. I put the spare on and put the original arm on the bench. A little while later, I replace the other arm. Again, I put a spare on Bill and put the arm I remove on the bench. Then I replace his legs and all other components with spares, each time putting the components I remove on the bench. Eventually, the only part left of Bill that is original is the power core. Everything else is a replacement.

But if the power core can only work for one particular bot, how can it work for Bill when he's been almost entirely replaced? I have a bunch of parts sitting on my bench that I can assemble to form Bill, I'm just lacking the power core. The Bill who's currently walking around is not the original. It's a new body made up of new parts. How could it possibly work with Bill's power core? After all, what I've done is no different to using those spares to create a new body which is now called Bill - and this new body is using the power core designed for the bot made up of the spares sitting on my bench! So how then can it be that a power core works only for one bot when a bot can be almost entirely replaced until it is literally no different than constructing a new body with an old power core? If a power core won't work when it's put into a different body, why would it work when a new body is built around it piece by piece?

If they'd said that each brain required a particular power core to work, then it would be okay, because there are only a set number of combinations. Brain 1 with Powercore 1. B2 with P2. B3 with P3. And so on. If Bill is B1 with P1 and his powercore fails, you can't slap in P2, because it won't work with b1. But the writers never specified that, and so the idea behind them makes no sense.
Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2013, 08:57 AM   #11
Captain Rob
Commodore

Bill must be running some old 21st Century Microsoft DRM code.
Old September 21 2013, 09:05 AM   #12
Lighthammer
Fleet Captain

I actually thought it would have been really interesting if the one that befriended B'lenna would have actually joined the Voyager crew as a reoccurring character.
Old September 21 2013, 09:25 AM   #13
Tiberius
Commodore

Captain Rob wrote: View Post
Bill must be running some old 21st Century Microsoft DRM code.
Sure sounds like what the Builders did, eh?
Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2013, 10:00 AM   #14
lurok
Commodore

I thought they were a bit crap (in execution). Idea was sort-of interesting, but only so-so.

Last edited by lurok; September 21 2013 at 10:33 AM.
lurok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2013, 10:29 AM   #15
teacake
Admiral

It reminded me of too many other things that also bored me

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne