Mystery Mini Vinyl Figure Display Box
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

The Red Shirt Diaries Episode Five
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

Shatner In Trek 3? Well Maybe
By: T'Bonz on Sep 28

Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old January 5 2014, 07:23 PM   #1
Xzpezer
Lieutenant

romulan star empire

What if in a pale moonlight the Romulans discovered that it was Garek that killed the Romulan ambassador.As a result the romulan star empire joins the Dominion and declares war on the Federation and Klingon empire.How would the Dominion war play out would they win the war.post you ideas on what you think would happened.
Xzpezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2014, 07:36 PM   #2
USS Triumphant
Rear Admiral

Re: romulan star empire

I think the Federation would have disavowed Garak as a member of the Obsidian Order, and confused the issue enough to make the Romulans wary, but not hostile enough to ally with the Dominion.
Old January 5 2014, 10:38 PM   #3
Yuckleberry Finn
Vice Admiral

Xzpezer wrote: View Post
What if in a pale moonlight the Romulans discovered that it was Garek that killed the Romulan ambassador.As a result the romulan star empire joins the Dominion and declares war on the Federation and Klingon empire.How would the Dominion war play out would they win the war.post you ideas on what you think would happened.
I'd put money on an Tal Shiar agent or two being present when they investigated the explosion, and hide it from the military and the public. Koval may have been waiting for something like this.
Yuckleberry Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2014, 12:51 AM   #4
Photon
Commodore

All the intrigue w/the Romulans during the war was so so great.

Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges is my favorite DS9 epi
Photon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2014, 01:24 AM   #5
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

I doubt the Romulans would have joined the Dominion because they're not any more willing to give up their independence than the Federation or Klingons. But, they would have supported them, supplies and whatnot, in exchange for agreements about sovereignty within borders.

Without the Romulans it's pretty clear the Federation would have lost. Although, in that case, the Founders would have all died, probably leading to a massive Gem'Hadar berserk kill-fest, that had ridiculous casualty numbers everywhere except Romulus, and the Romulans would have than proceeded to take over the AQ.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2014, 10:45 AM   #6
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

Starfleet could've put a spin on it that Garak was acting on orders from what was once the Obsidian Order, distancing themselves from the whole incident. That would probably give the Romulans a whole new reason to fight the Cardassian Union and its allies.

That is a brilliant episode. You really see who The Sisko is.
Old January 7 2014, 12:10 PM   #7
USS Triumphant
Rear Admiral

Bry_Sinclair wrote: View Post
Starfleet could've put a spin on it that Garak was acting on orders from what was once the Obsidian Order, distancing themselves from the whole incident. That would probably give the Romulans a whole new reason to fight the Cardassian Union and its allies.
This is what I meant, but phrased more clearly, I think.
Old January 7 2014, 12:30 PM   #8
Marten
Captain

It's possible The Federation could have blamed the Obsidian order, but if the romulans had joined the war against them, the Dominion and the romulans would have crushed them.
Marten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2014, 01:09 PM   #9
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

USS Triumphant wrote: View Post
Bry_Sinclair wrote: View Post
This is what I meant, but phrased more clearly, I think.
Great minds
Old January 7 2014, 05:23 PM   #10
desfem79
Lieutenant Commander

I think they would have declared war.

Think about it, the Federation is the Romulans' greatest enemy. Once the Preator and Senate heard about the takeover of DS9, the Battle of Tyra, even the capture of Betazed, don't you think they'd have had a supreme chuckle at the Federation's expense. To say "Founders hate ALL solids, once the UFP goes, you're next!" is being too rational. And I doubt as non-humans they would have a "have sympathy for your enemies" morality. Unless somehow Jesus and Buddha went to Romulus long ago

Had the allied with the Dominion, the UFP and Klingons had no chance. The Feds alone would have to protect the Neutral Zone and the Cardassian border, and more or less have a permanent core worlds home fleet of dozens of ships. Romulus is not that far from Earth, Vulcan, etc. anyhow.
desfem79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2014, 05:23 PM   #11
desfem79
Lieutenant Commander

Marten wrote: View Post
It's possible The Federation could have blamed the Obsidian order, but if the romulans had joined the war against them, the Dominion and the romulans would have crushed them.
Would they have proof? And didn't the Order get wiped out in the Gamma Quadrant?
desfem79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2014, 07:53 AM   #12
Jon-o'-lantern
Rear Admiral

desfem79 wrote: View Post
Marten wrote: View Post
Would they have proof? And didn't the Order get wiped out in the Gamma Quadrant?
They could just sell out Garak as a lone extremist. They could use the fact that the Tal Shiar tried to kill Garak and that it was a failure in the Tal Shiar's anti-Changeling measures that saw Tain captured and die in Dominion captivity. Vreenak as a senior member of the Tal Shiar would be a good target for revenge against the Tal Shiar.

In terms of the evidence of the Dominion planning to attack the Romulans, it depends on whether the Romulans figure out if its fake. If they don't Starfleet just says Garak obviously just took the opportunity before him. If they do figure it out, Garak is the obvious target for faking the evidence and Starfleet can try to spin it as Garak trying to get the Romulans and Dominion killing each other as a form of poetic justice, again for the death of his father.

All this aside, even if the Romulans discovered Garak's hand or even Starfleet's, joining the war at the stage is not in their best interest. The Federation is on the backfoot but it and the Klingons are still formidable opponents. Best to wait and let all the sides continue to batter each other, because the weaker all the sides are the beter for the Romulan Empire to extract significant gains for minimal costs.
Jon-o'-lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11 2014, 07:01 PM   #13
Elim Garakov
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Wouldn't the Romulans wait until the Federation and Klingons are worn out then jump in?
Elim Garakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2014, 03:56 PM   #14
Yuckleberry Finn
Vice Admiral

Why would they? It would be a tougher fight for them if they did.
Yuckleberry Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28 2014, 12:27 PM   #15
Redshirt13
Ensign

The Romulans don't trust the Federation in the first place. During the whole war they're acting on the premise of "the enemy of my enemy". Even if the Federation were to try to spin that he was working under somebody else's orders, why would they believe the Federation. I think the best outcome of this situation would be that the Romulans would pullback some, and that would leave the Federation a lot more vulnerable.
Redshirt13 is offline   Reply With Quote