Yelchin In New Indie Thriller
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Saldana In The Book of Life
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Beltran Introduces Shakespeare To Theater Group
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old October 23 2013, 02:52 PM   #31
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

Re: Earth Final Conflict - Why all of the cast changes? Backstory?

Christopher wrote: View Post
Mr Light wrote: View Post
The Jaridian probe appeared in the sixth episode of the series, so clearly they planning on some kind of alien menace that early...
No, an alien probe appeared in the sixth episode. It was later retroactively explained as being the work of the "Jaridians." But I do not believe the Jaridians represent Okie's original intent for those aliens. They're far too ordinary, just your stock sci-fi humanoid alien baddies.
It was clear the probe wasn't Taelon. The episode strongly implied it wasn't from a Taelon ally, either. Beyond that, yeah, it's ambiguous.
Lindley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23 2013, 04:11 PM   #32
Christopher
Writer

^Yes, the probe was clearly meant to be the creation of the Taelons' ancient enemy, the Shaqarava or the Sleeper, whose existence was hinted at throughout the first season. What I'm saying is that when the second-season producers eventually identified that enemy as the Jaridians, that was a change from what the original producers intended the enemy to be.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23 2013, 07:44 PM   #33
Mr Light
Admiral

No denying that. I was merely pointing out that there was going to be some form of an alien menace from the get go.

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23 2013, 08:23 PM   #34
Christopher
Writer

^And I wasn't refuting that, because it's self-evident. My point is that if the original producers had stayed, it would've been a much more interesting and imaginative menace than the "Jaridians," which just seemed like refugees from a TNG episode, one more race of rubber-forehead humanoid baddies with a four-syllable iambic name ending in "-ians." I just hated the damn "Jaridians" so much. They were so boring, such a profound anticlimax from what we might have gotten.

Old October 28 2013, 04:29 AM   #35
GalaxyX
Rear Admiral

Dream wrote: View Post
I think killing Boone badly harmed the series because the Boone and Da'an friendship was the best part of the first season. You can't get rid of the best part of your show and expect to recover from that.
Except that Da'an's character was profoundly simplified in the second season, so the Da'an we knew in the first season pretty much ceased to exist too. Even if they'd kept Boone, the change in the sophistication of the writing would've ruined that relationship anyway.

But it didn't have to be that way. In a late first-season episode -- the second-last one, I think -- they started to set up a Lily-Da'an relationship that could've taken the place of Boone-Da'an if they'd done the smart thing and made Lily the lead after Boone was written out. That could've been interesting -- if the writing had remained up to par. Which, sadly, it didn't.
No, getting rid of Boone pissed me off. I would have wished for the show to die either way.

I saw like 2 episodes of the second season, maybe 2-3 episodes of the later seasons as a curiosity. Never understood the changes.
Old October 28 2013, 11:26 AM   #36
MacLeod
Admiral

I found S1 o be the more interesting of the five seasons, and overall I think the quality degraded with each season. That isn't to say that each season didn't have it's moments but overall each season was weaker than the season before it.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 28 2013, 12:30 PM   #37
Mr Light
Admiral

I thought S4 was vastly better than S3, to the point where I was actually getting into the show again. I thought S4 ended the series quite well.

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28 2013, 01:35 PM   #38
Christopher
Writer

I wasn't watching the show regularly by that point, but what I saw of season 4 didn't seem significantly improved on S3. Certainly I didn't like it enough to become a regular viewer again.

Old October 28 2013, 02:31 PM   #39
The Wormhole
Admiral

Season 4 really is quite good. A few years ago when I was buying the seasons on DVD, I ended up enjoying season 4 so much I actually considered getting season 5. I didn't, in the end, but season 4 is just that good.
Old October 28 2013, 03:29 PM   #40
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

I watched, and enjoyed, all of the first season, and followed the first half or so of season two, but gave up at that point. I watched one or two episodes in, I think it was season 4 or 5, but the show never re-captured my interest enough to begin following it again.

It was pretty much the same with Andromeda.
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28 2013, 03:29 PM   #41
THE Robert Maxwell
Reports of my death...

View THE Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to THE Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to THE Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to THE Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to THE Robert Maxwell

I got back into the show with season 4, but it was still nowhere near as good as the first.
Old October 31 2013, 03:41 AM   #42
Morpheus 02
Commodore

To me, season 4 felt like thy were REALLY trying to get back to where the 1st was at, and made me very hopeful for the 5th season...and no need to express my disappointment!
Morpheus 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2013, 04:20 AM   #43
Goji
Rear Admiral

Season 4 was a very different show than Season 1, but in its own way it was just as entertaining. "Atonement" is easily the second best episode of the show, with "Sandoval's Run" being the best. Sandoval really did bring out the best in the show, apparently.

Season 3 had some pretty good episodes too. I always liked the episode that wrote out the character of Jonathan Doors, even though it was a loss to the series going forward. The show was only ever awful in the early parts of season 2 and, of course, season 5. But it wasn't ever what it could have been.

Andromeda fell way harder, way faster. Once Robert Hewitt Wolfe was out the door it was practically unwatchable, save for a few minor exceptions.
Goji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2013, 02:42 PM   #44
Christopher
Writer

Goji wrote: View Post
Andromeda fell way harder, way faster. Once Robert Hewitt Wolfe was out the door it was practically unwatchable, save for a few minor exceptions.
The exceptions were pretty major. The post-RHW episodes in seasons 2-3 that were written by Zack Stentz & Ashley Edward Miller were consistently almost as good as the first season and a half had been. In fact, season 3 was bizarrely schizophrenic, because Stentz & Miller were still essentially writing the original incarnation of the series while the rest of the staff were writing a new, dumber, more fanciful version of the show.

Old October 31 2013, 03:02 PM   #45
Pilot Ace
Captain

Goji wrote: View Post
The exceptions were pretty major. The post-RHW episodes in seasons 2-3 that were written by Zack Stentz & Ashley Edward Miller were consistently almost as good as the first season and a half had been. In fact, season 3 was bizarrely schizophrenic, because Stentz & Miller were still essentially writing the original incarnation of the series while the rest of the staff were writing a new, dumber, more fanciful version of the show.
Pilot Ace is offline   Reply With Quote