TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Dorn To Voice Firefly Character

No ALS Ice Bucket For Saldana

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old October 27 2013, 12:37 AM   #1
Mistral
Vice Admiral

Netflix-Oh, boy!

So, some of the best episodes of Quantum Leap are not part of Netflix. Sadly, this includes the series finale, "Mirror Image". My wife has worked her way through the series-and can't see the finale.
Anyone know where it can be watched?

Mistral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27 2013, 03:42 AM   #2
JD
Admiral

Re: Netflix-Oh, boy!

I've run into that with a couple of other shows. It does seem weird, you'd think if they got the rights to a show, they'd get the rights to every episode. Maybe it's some kind of an issue with writers, or actors or someone else from those episodes.
Old October 27 2013, 04:12 AM   #3
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

There's likely nowhere you can legally watch it online. They're not available on Netflix for one of a few reasons:

1. Guest stars' contracts couldn't be cleared for it.
2. Music rights couldn't be cleared.
3. The owner believes it would hurt DVD sales to have the whole series available, so they leave out critical episodes.

Generally, if you can't watch it on Netflix or Hulu or another legitimate online source, your only recourse is to buy it on DVD.
My blog
Robert Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27 2013, 04:20 AM   #4
theenglish
Rear Admiral

Yet, these episodes are available on international Netflix packages even though many other things are not.
theenglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27 2013, 05:57 PM   #5
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

It has "Accentuate the Positive" by Bing Crosby and The Andrew Sisters and "Georgia" by Ray Charles so I could see music rights being the issue.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27 2013, 06:58 PM   #6
Tom
Rear Admiral

Hulu Plus has ALL the episodes, just watched Mirror Image the other day.
Old October 28 2013, 09:19 PM   #7
Mistral
Vice Admiral

Tom wrote: View Post
Hulu Plus has ALL the episodes, just watched Mirror Image the other day.
I can't afford Hulu plus right now-I'm unemployed and broke. But, thanks!

Mistral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28 2013, 09:35 PM   #8
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

theenglish wrote: View Post
Yet, these episodes are available on international Netflix packages even though many other things are not.
Well then, there's your solution. There are programs out there which fool Netflix into thinking you're in whatever country you like. I haven't used them, but I know they exist. (resource removed)

Last edited by Neroon; October 29 2013 at 01:41 AM.
Lindley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28 2013, 09:38 PM   #9
ToddKent
Captain

View ToddKent's Twitter Profile

Yeah Quantum Leap is an odd one for Netflix. I recently did a re-watch and, you're right, several episodes are not available for streaming. But I believe they are all available via Netflix DVD rental. (But I'm assuming you aren't on that plan).

I always just assumed that episodes were missing because of music. Every episode is a period piece and many of them contained music from the episode's time period. And music rights seem to be weird from time to time.
ToddKent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28 2013, 09:42 PM   #10
dansigal
Commander

Assuming you and your wife haven't already signed up, Hulu Plus offers a free trial month.
dansigal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28 2013, 09:51 PM   #11
marillion
Vice Admiral

View marillion's Twitter Profile

On a somewhat related note, have any of you, like me, gotten somewhat tired of the lack of GOOD streaming movies available on Netflix? I've gone back to ordering more DVDs by mail.. I've about run through any of the movies I care about seeing on their "instant" plan... SO many asylum-esque titles...
Old October 28 2013, 10:23 PM   #12
Mister Fandango
Fleet Captain

Lindley wrote: View Post
Well then, there's your solution. There are programs out there which fool Netflix into thinking you're in whatever country you like. I haven't used them, but I know they exist. (resource reference removed).
So referring to BitTorrents in pretty much any way is wrong, but showing people how to do things like this is perfectly reasonable?

Last edited by Neroon; October 29 2013 at 01:43 AM.
Mister Fandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28 2013, 10:31 PM   #13
Gary Mitchell
Admiral

Mister Fandango wrote: View Post
Well then, there's your solution. There are programs out there which fool Netflix into thinking you're in whatever country you like. I haven't used them, but I know they exist. (resource reference removed).
So referring to BitTorrents in pretty much any way is wrong, but showing people how to do things like this is perfectly reasonable?
You still have to have a Netflix subscription.

Last edited by Neroon; October 29 2013 at 01:44 AM.
Gary Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28 2013, 10:34 PM   #14
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

Iffy I suppose. The distinction in my mind is that it's legal content. I see it like buying a region-free DVD player.

Lindley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29 2013, 01:13 AM   #15
theenglish
Rear Admiral

Iffy I suppose. The distinction in my mind is that it's legal content. I see it like buying a region-free DVD player.
I don't want to get into a discussion about legalities, but your Netflix subscription allows you to move between countries. You are presented with content based on the package from the region or country that you are in. When I travel to the States or even Canada, I spend my evenings watching Netflix stuff I can't get elsewhere.

theenglish is offline   Reply With Quote