Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old October 17 2013, 06:49 PM   #1
kirk55555
Commodore

Crusade Question

A few weeks ago I got Crusade on DVD and finished it in about a week. Even though I watched it in the order it was on the DVD (The TV airing order) I really did enjoy it. I liked the characters, the overall plot and I really can't think of an episode I disliked (although War Zone was pretty weak, but as I understand it TNT forced him to write an episode they wanted, and War Zone was the result). My favorite character is probably a tie between Galen and Gideon. Max is probably my least favorite, mostly because it didn't feel like he had too much character outside the one episode centered on him. Besides that one episode, he was pretty much a one note character. He was the greedy smart guy who always wanted to chicken out and run away. I didn't hate him or even really dislike him, but his interesting moments were basically just the episode with his wife, and when he didn't tell his company about the planet with Dureena's people.

Now, for the question. I've been looking online, but I can't find an answer. Has JMS ever explained where Crusade was going? By that I mean, did he have a plan as to how the plague would actually get cured? I don't know how many seasons he would have wanted the show to go, or if he planed to have the plague around for however long the show would run, but I am kind of interested in hearing if he ever gave any info about where he would have had Crusade go after the first season.
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17 2013, 07:03 PM   #2
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Re: Crusade Question

kirk55555 wrote: View Post
A few weeks ago I got Crusade on DVD and finished it in about a week. Even though I watched it in the order it was on the DVD (The TV airing order) I really did enjoy it. I liked the characters, the overall plot and I really can't think of an episode I disliked (although War Zone was pretty weak, but as I understand it TNT forced him to write an episode they wanted, and War Zone was the result). My favorite character is probably a tie between Galen and Gideon. Max is probably my least favorite, mostly because it didn't feel like he had too much character outside the one episode centered on him. Besides that one episode, he was pretty much a one note character. He was the greedy smart guy who always wanted to chicken out and run away. I didn't hate him or even really dislike him, but his interesting moments were basically just the episode with his wife, and when he didn't tell his company about the planet with Dureena's people.

Now, for the question. I've been looking online, but I can't find an answer. Has JMS ever explained where Crusade was going? By that I mean, did he have a plan as to how the plague would actually get cured? I don't know how many seasons he would have wanted the show to go, or if he planed to have the plague around for however long the show would run, but I am kind of interested in hearing if he ever gave any info about where he would have had Crusade go after the first season.
Yes, there would've been a cure, in S2, I believe (But, it wouldn't be what they thought it was, and then a real cure would be found...or something to that effect)

The ship would be on the Run from Earthforce

Dureena had some kind of destiny that she spoke to Galen a bit about

Gideon would die (or maybe just be taken out of play) and The Apocalypse box (with Gideon's voice) would step up in mystery

All of this could be slightly twisted around, vague memories

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17 2013, 07:07 PM   #3
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

Max does have a character arc, but it's subtle enough that you don't really notice it unless you watch the episodes in a certain order. I forget which order, though.
Lindley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17 2013, 07:08 PM   #4
ToysOnLayAway
Rear Admiral

I'm doing this from memory, but IIRC...

The show would have five seasons like B5.

Gideon would be assassinated at the end of the season cliffhanger after he finds out Earthforce built the ship that destroyed his ship during The Shadow War. His soul would be absorbed by The Apocalypse Box leaving a window for him to come back.

Galen was in touch with the Technomages all along, and not really an outcast.

Dureena would go on a quest after finding an ancient sword.

Bester would have been a guest star late in season one.

The plague would be cured in season two, but not really, somehow leading The Excalibur to go rogue in search of the real cure.
Old October 17 2013, 07:36 PM   #5
Asbo Zaprudder
Rear Admiral

My understanding is that the Excalibur has to go on the run because the crew uncover the Earthforce base that is exploiting Shadow tech and which built the ship that destroyed Gideon's ship.

I assume the "cure" near the beginning of S2 would have turned out to morally compromise the human race to ensure its survival -- similar to the healing machine on B5, it would take life to save life.

I also assume that Galen's backstory would be told along the lines of what is in the Technomage trilogy.

My opinion is that Max was one of the best characters on the show -- he's a smartarse, who doesn't like to acknowledge his own shortcomings, but he's never dull.
Asbo Zaprudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17 2013, 08:13 PM   #6
dansigal
Commander

I remember JMS saying that the show was ultimately not going to be what everyone thought it was, that the plague storyline would be wrapped up in the second season and that the bigger arc for the show would revolve around Earth and the use of Shadow tech. It's a damn shame we never got to see that show.
dansigal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17 2013, 08:18 PM   #7
kirk55555
Commodore

That stuff sounds interesting. I really like what we got of Crusade, I wish it had gotten to stay around. I especially wonder what would have happened if Gideon had died. Assuming they didn’t bring him back with that weird box in early Season 2, who would they replace him with as Captain? I liked Lt. Matheson, but I don’t think he would have been promoted to Captain of such an important position. I guess Lochley would have made the most sense. Since Sheridan’s office was also working on this issue with EarthGov, maybe he’d get reccomend her, and she’d get reassigned from B5 to the Excalibur. Either that, or they’d get a brand new commander.
Old October 17 2013, 08:20 PM   #8
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

Max was the best character in Crusade, along with Dureena. He had a personality. Unlike bloody Matheson. Gideon was fairly flat, and frequently unintentionally hilarious. The opening title sequence of Crusade makes me laugh every time I see it. So amazingly embarrassing.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17 2013, 08:54 PM   #9
kirk55555
Commodore

I HATE Crusade's opening sequence. I listened to it once, then just skipped it for the rest of the episodes. Its really corny, and just plain stupid.
Old October 17 2013, 09:20 PM   #10
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

While I could get behind the idea of seeing more of Crusade's story, they would have needed a new music composer. I understand that JMS wanted something "different" for the music, but that was just unbearable for me.
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17 2013, 09:26 PM   #11
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

DonIago wrote: View Post
While I could get behind the idea of seeing more of Crusade's story, they would have needed a new music composer. I understand that JMS wanted something "different" for the music, but that was just unbearable for me.
It's an acquired taste, but, I enjoy it now that I have acquired the taste

Old October 17 2013, 09:46 PM   #12
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

I like the music, though it is very eccentric.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17 2013, 10:04 PM   #13
Reverend
Rear Admiral

The music is very hit and miss IMO. It's very moody ant atmospheric in the scenes that call for it, but the second anything action related happens it feels very awkward and just falls totally flat.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17 2013, 10:35 PM   #14
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Reverend wrote: View Post
The music is very hit and miss IMO. It's very moody ant atmospheric in the scenes that call for it, but the second anything action related happens it feels very awkward and just falls totally flat.
I LOVE the "running" drums in action sequences

It's like Phil Collins' In The Air Tinght playing during a Car chase

Old October 17 2013, 10:56 PM   #15
Mr Light
Admiral

I just finished watching it with a first-timer friend as well so I've been doing some research.

Season One:
Gideon learns that the Shadowy Hybrid ship that destroyed the Cerebus was an Earthforce vessel and they are continuing their Shadow Tech experiments today. He and Galen discover one of the bases and the CO reveals to Gideon that the Technomages got their tech from the Shadows as well. Galen was sent back into the world by the Mages to eliminate any use of Shadow Tech. When Gideon tries to go public with this conspiracy he's assassinated.

Season Two:
Gideon is resurrected by the Apocalypse Box somehow. The Plague is cured in Season Two thanks to the Box's aid, but at the cost of another world's life. I'm guessing there is a Shadow Tech Conspiracy coup that takes control of Earthforce, resulting in the Excalibur going into exile. Or maybe they're hunted because of their controversial cure to the Plague.

Dureena becomes a Technomage under Galen's guidance. Since the novels show that the Mages can't make more Mages without the Shadows, the Mages must learn this ability over the course of the series.

Eilerson betrays the crew, presumably to the Earthforce conspiracy. And unlike Londo, he apparently does not redeem himself.

Unconfirmed as it's from a non-canon RPG game:
There are six surviving Apocalypse Boxes. They are the remnants of a telepathic race destroyed in the 1,000 year ago Shadow War. They converted their minds into the boxes to survive their world's destruction. Their mission is to enact revenge on anything connected to the First Ones / Shadows / Vorlons. Once you gain possession of a Box, you are spiritually chained to it, kept alive in agony until it's done with you. That's why Gideon survives the assassination.

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote