Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Retro Watches
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

New DS9 eBook To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old October 18 2013, 03:31 AM   #16
WarpFactorZ
Captain

Re: STID: The Ethics of the Ending

I took the ending as a pseudo-nod to Raiders of the Lost Ark: he was being studied by top men. That is, Khan was placed on trial, sentenced to whatever (life on some penal colony somewhere), but was secretly whisked away by Section 31 for further "study." The out-of-universe bonus being that he is still alive, and primed for a "Return of Khan" sequel...
WarpFactorZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 18 2013, 05:20 AM   #17
Kabraxal
Lieutenant Junior Grade

WarpFactorZ wrote: View Post
I took the ending as a pseudo-nod to Raiders of the Lost Ark: he was being studied by top men. That is, Khan was placed on trial, sentenced to whatever (life on some penal colony somewhere), but was secretly whisked away by Section 31 for further "study." The out-of-universe bonus being that he is still alive, and primed for a "Return of Khan" sequel...
This... I took more from it that he got the public trial, public as in Kirk and gang were appeased, then S31 took over and did what they had been doing in secret.

And there is no way they were going to kill off the character when there is so much there to work with if they can find a means to bring him back. You don't just waste that oppotunity.
Kabraxal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18 2013, 05:25 AM   #18
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Crazy Eddie wrote: View Post
it stands to reason that whatever society Khan and his followers would eventually build would have the exact same basic motivations as Khan himself: one psychotic augment is already bad news, so what do you plan to do when a whole race of them suddenly shows up with warp drives and starships they designed all by themselves?
Ceti Alpha V had no technological base. There would be nothing which Khan and his gang could possibly use to build a starship. Placing Khan's people there would be effectively shutting them away for good. Which was the intention, in the original episode...it's both safe (for the Federation) and humane (to Khan). It's win-win, really.

The only thing that threw that plan off was the explosion of Ceti Alpha VI.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18 2013, 07:04 AM   #19
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

Well, it's possible Khan and his people would have eventually achieved space travel, they'd just be starting from scratch technologically. But at least they (or at least Khan himself) had some of the knowledge of how to do it, it would just be a matter of getting the resources together.

Though it certainly seems Ceti Alpha VI exploding put the kibosh on anything other than basic survival.
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18 2013, 07:34 AM   #20
BigJake
Rear Admiral

Gaith wrote: View Post
Was anyone else seriously put off by the ethics of Starfleet's treatment of Kahn (i.e., re-freezing him)?
In a universe where it's too much to ask for narrative coherency or organizational believability from Starfleet, asking for ethical or judicial consistency is sure to be a bridge too far.
Old October 18 2013, 02:03 PM   #21
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Harvey wrote: View Post
Bob Orci did say in his interview with the Mission Log guys that Khan was supposed to be frozen, but awaiting trial, at the end of the movie.
Huh - I heard that interview, but must have missed that bit. Cheers.

Franklin wrote: View Post
Harvey wrote: View Post
Bob Orci did say in his interview with the Mission Log guys that Khan was supposed to be frozen, but awaiting trial, at the end of the movie.
I'm not sure if that makes sense, Mr. Orci. Frozen to await trial as opposed to being incarcerated? Odd.
Yeah, it makes no sense at all. Time in stasis is time denied him to coordinate with his attorneys. I'm pretty sure the writers wanted the Raiders callback first and foremost, and threw in their not-at-all-onscreen "awaiting trial" nonsense second.

DonIago wrote: View Post
As a wussy liberal, I see the difference as being that he's NOT.DEAD.
I assume he's got no pulse and no brain function while in cryo stasis. Even if the possibility of reviving him exists, that sounds pretty "dead" to me, and therefore ethically unacceptable on the authorites' behalf.
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18 2013, 02:53 PM   #22
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

Maybe the trial was before the re-freezing.

I sentence you to re-freezing!
Old October 18 2013, 03:24 PM   #23
Ovation
Vice Admiral

Location: La Belle Province or The Green Mountain State (depends on the day of the week)

Total speculation here:

Trial occurs (as is happening in the comics). Court concludes Khan is suffering from an illness for which there is no cure (his "savage nature") at present and proposes re-freezing him until such time he and his fellow travellers can be "cured". Protests (legal and, perhaps, social) ensue about the "barbarity" of such a sentence but the court stands firm based on a lack of death penalty and based on the devastation wrought by one augment. It's an uncomfortable solution, but the best they feel they can do.
Ovation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18 2013, 04:05 PM   #24
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

We shouldn't ignore the possibility that Khan -asked- to be refrozen.
Old October 18 2013, 04:13 PM   #25
Ryan8bit
Commodore

Typically criminals don't get to pick their sentencing though. If he told them he wanted to die, they probably wouldn't allow that either.

I think Ovation's idea is probably the best. We saw in DS9 that they still had issues treating certain genetically engineered patients. They probably just don't have the tech yet to treat it (which is kind of silly, they should have that kind of stuff by then).
Ryan8bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18 2013, 04:17 PM   #26
DonIago
Rear Admiral

I'm not suggesting any judiciary would freeze him just because he asked, but it might have been a mitigating circumstance in their decision. Just sayin'.
Old October 18 2013, 04:37 PM   #27
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Gaith wrote: View Post
I assume he's got no pulse and no brain function while in cryo stasis.
Even if the possibility of reviving him exists, that sounds pretty "dead" to me, and therefore ethically unacceptable on the authorites' behalf.
1) There is no "even if" on reviving them seeing as he was in cryo when they found him and they mentioned IN THE FILM that they can revive him.

2) Are you seriously saying that its immoral to use stasis tech, and that it qualifies as murder despite that fact that the person is STILL ALIVE, seeing as they shoved Kirk into a cryo tube TO KEEP HIM ALIVE.

So no its not murder to re-freeze him.

And its probably safer to keep him on ice for the time being seeing as the two times the whole lets dump the extremely dangerous egomaniac augments on a planet and forget about them they escaped the moment a starship showed up.
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18 2013, 04:41 PM   #28
grendelsbayne
Commander

The way I see it, the biggest moral issue with re-freezing would not be any perceived similarity to the death penalty, or even discomfort for Khan (he won't actually feel anything, anyway). It would be the fact that the Federation is sort of just absolving themselves of dealing with him at all, maybe even risking that he might do the same damage to another generation sometime in the future.
grendelsbayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18 2013, 04:44 PM   #29
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

grendelsbayne wrote: View Post
The way I see it, the biggest moral issue with re-freezing would not be any perceived similarity to the death penalty, or even discomfort for Khan (he won't actually feel anything, anyway). It would be the fact that the Federation is sort of just absolving themselves of dealing with him at all, maybe even risking that he might do the same damage to another generation sometime in the future.
So basically you don't like the sealed evil in a can trope.
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18 2013, 04:51 PM   #30
grendelsbayne
Commander

Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
grendelsbayne wrote: View Post
So basically you don't like the sealed evil in a can trope.
Not saying I dislike it as a story - but considering he's already been unleashed once to disastrous results, I think a truly 'ethical' solution in terms of what the Federation should do with him would have to include some consideration of the possibility that re-freezing could eventually lead to another escape, possibly in a time where no one has the ability to stop him.

Of course, having him imprisoned also runs the risk of escape, so it would be a question of which risk is viewed as most acceptable.

Personally, for me, I think it's entirely possible the most ethical option here very well could be execution, but I agree the Federation would never really be able to accept that.
grendelsbayne is offline   Reply With Quote