Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old November 3 2013, 11:45 AM   #226
Creepy Critter
Admiral

Re: STID realistic?

Probably, pre-Pen Pals Prime Picard would have just let the natives die.

(Apologies, I just couldn't resist alliterating there.)
Old November 3 2013, 11:55 AM   #227
YellowSubmarine
Rear Admiral

Closed Caption wrote: View Post

So now Data and Spock are more sensitive than pre-Pen Pals Picard? I feel sorry for him, an android and a Vulcan lecturing him on the merits of emotion.
Old November 3 2013, 11:58 AM   #228
Creepy Critter
Admiral

Picard's pretty prim and proper.
Old November 3 2013, 12:16 PM   #229
Timewalker
Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady

YellowSubmarine wrote: View Post
You already did mention the explanation yourself:
Timewalker wrote: View Post
Were they just trying to draw the natives away from the temple?
Which is corroborated by the script:
Kirk: “Kirk to Shuttle One, the locals are out of the kill zone!”

In a world at that level of development, one small tribe can represent an entire culture that can shape the entire history of that world, so saving these few natives plays a role that's more than important. Similarly, having them witness the Enterprise and worship it would echo through the ages, which is what the final scene in the sequence was supposed to depict.
Ah, thank you. I missed that line.

The only reason he agreed in that episode was because the little girl sent a message that was clearly meant for Data, and thus it was a direct request for help. If she hadn't sent the message (or if they hadn't received it), I think Picard would indeed have let them die.

For some great Original Series fanfic, check out the Valjiir Continuum!
Timewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2013, 01:08 PM   #230
iguana_tonante
Admiral

You seem to be missing a lot of stuff in the movie. For one who wants everything spelled out in dialog, you don't seem to pay much attention to it.
Old November 3 2013, 01:19 PM   #231
Timewalker
Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady

iguana_tonante wrote: View Post
You seem to be missing a lot of stuff in the movie. For one who wants everything spelled out in dialog, you don't seem to pay much attention to it.
Yep, it sure is nice to ask for help and have people throw rudeness back instead.

You have no idea what the circumstances were when I watched the movie. I was tired, and the volume control on my TV doesn't work reliably. Therefore, I missed some lines, or didn't hear them clearly. Or it's just barely possible that I was distracted by my cats or by whatever was going on in the building parking lot at the exact moment nuKirk uttered that line.

Do you hear every single line in a movie and understand it perfectly and have perfect recall days or weeks later when you're discussing it online?

For some great Original Series fanfic, check out the Valjiir Continuum!
Timewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2013, 01:23 PM   #232
iguana_tonante
Admiral

When I bitch about something being stupid, illogical, silly, irrational, idiotic, and poorly done?

Yeah, I make pretty sure I know what I'm talking about. It seems more safe that way.

EtA: Also, after you spent months (years if we take ST09 into account) bitching about Abrams' movies and belittling people who liked them, calling your arguments "asking for help" is laughably disingenuous.

Last edited by iguana_tonante; November 3 2013 at 03:14 PM.
iguana_tonante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2013, 03:07 PM   #233
SeerSGB
Admiral

View SeerSGB's Twitter Profile

iguana_tonante wrote: View Post
When I bitch about something being stupid, illogical, silly, irrational, idiotic, and poorly done?

Yeah, I make pretty sure I know what I'm talking about. It seems more safe that way.
Damn. Can't seem to find the upvote button on the board. This will have to do
SeerSGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2013, 03:30 PM   #234
Ovation
Vice Admiral

Location: La Belle Province or The Green Mountain State (depends on the day of the week)

Ovation wrote: View Post
Or maybe the scriptwriters just never thought about the potential problem.
And that would be because worrying about such a problem would have been a colossal waste of time (both for the characters in the story AND for the writers).
Or maybe the scriptwriters just never thought about it. There are scriptwriters who write SF who don't know anything about science, and one of the ideas proposed for TMP involved ancient Mayan gods (or Incan gods?). When somebody mused that the audience wouldn't go for that, the twit who proposed the idea said, "So what? They'll never know the difference."

So maybe someone can explain it to me, because in all the 3 times I saw this movie, I still don't get why nuSpock had to physically go into the volcano in the first place. Why didn't they just drop the bomb out of the shuttle and operate it remotely?
What does this have to do with the acidity of the water?

And missing a line once in a movie watching is common. Watching it three times and missing the exact same line three times is, well, unusual (at least if one is paying even passing attention to the film).
Ovation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2013, 04:09 PM   #235
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Actually even post-Pen Pals Prime Picard would have just let the natives die, remember Homeward.
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2013, 04:13 PM   #236
SeerSGB
Admiral

View SeerSGB's Twitter Profile

Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post

Actually even post-Pen Pals Prime Picard would have just let the natives die, remember Homeward.
The lesson: Picard's a dick.
SeerSGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2013, 04:14 PM   #237
Creepy Critter
Admiral

Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post

Good point.
Old November 3 2013, 05:19 PM   #238
MakeshiftPython
Captain

Never understood Roddenberry's point about letting natives die in TNG. Sure, interference would radically change their culture, but the consequences have to be better tha total annihilation. I'm on board with Kirk's decision to save the natives, though lying about it to Starfleet was still pretty idiotic.
MakeshiftPython is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2013, 05:53 PM   #239
Franklin
Rear Admiral

MakeshiftPython wrote: View Post
Never understood Roddenberry's point about letting natives die in TNG. Sure, interference would radically change their culture, but the consequences have to be better tha total annihilation. I'm on board with Kirk's decision to save the natives, though lying about it to Starfleet was still pretty idiotic.
Agreed.

I don't want to get going again in another PD debate, but as others have pointed out over the months, it seems Orci and Kurtzman introduced TNG PD sensibilities into the movie, and that's part of the problem. In TOS the "noninterference directive" stressed not getting involved in the natural cultural development of a planet, not total noninterference (essentially complete avoidance).
The stricter PD mandating avoidance seems to contradict Pike's statement in ST09 that part of Starfleet's mission was to be a "humanitarian armada." Letting people die when you can help is not very humanitarian (or moral, or civilized, or even realistic).
Old November 3 2013, 08:24 PM   #240
YellowSubmarine
Rear Admiral

MakeshiftPython wrote: View Post
It was a bad message to send, that's for sure.

The point, I think mentioned in one of the arguments in the ready room, was that a civilization surviving or not surviving would rewrite the future of the entire region of space, hence making a choice about it would interfere with it. That interpretation was struck down in the same argument (by Troi or Crusher) with the argument that the choice not to do anything is as fateful to the region. And so is establishing a base in there (something not forbidden by any sane regulation), or establishing a diplomatic relationship of someone who is warp-capable. Not to mention that the effects of it are as random as the effects of randomly passing by. In short, a huge load of donkey crap. I wonder how many pre-warp civilizations would dropping the red matter in the supernova save, sounds like a massive prime directive violation to me!

Oh, and I hate the contrived justification for that attitude ENT: Dear Doctor decided to pick on this matter. Cruel, merciless Darwinian process was painted as a fair judge of who lives and who dies, because it somehow aligned itself with temporary injustice. Terrible.

Oh, and there's one more reason – if you save one world, then a second, then a third, it might end up being your duty to save worlds, and/or leave you with the (always bad) choice of who to save. Perhaps Kirk did so often, and other captains did it so little, that the seeming unfairness forced them to expand the PD. Bad decision.

Franklin wrote: View Post
I don't want to get going again in another PD debate, but as others have pointed out over the months, it seems Orci and Kurtzman introduced TNG PD sensibilities into the movie, and that's part of the problem.
I don't think it did. Spock did not seem to think so, and I'd take Spock's word over Pike's. And I think Pike meant that it was not customary, not that it was not forbidden to save a world behind a veil. I can only hope the regulations they broke were about the danger to the first officer of the ship, and the show they gave the natives.