Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Shatner Book Kickstarter
By: T'Bonz on Nov 20

Trek Original Series Slippers
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Hemsworth Is Sexiest Man Alive
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old March 19 2014, 09:54 PM   #121
Tom Hendricks
Commodore

View Tom Hendricks's Twitter Profile
Re: Casual Artwork Thread

Thank you all for the encouragement, I really appreciate it. Here is day two working on my Cardinal. Had a few issues with trying to control the paint, especially on the tail. However overall I'm happy with the results so far, still have much to do on it. Hopefully I will finish it next week.

Of course I'm a creationist. I believe man created god.

Last edited by Tom Hendricks; March 19 2014 at 10:13 PM.
Tom Hendricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21 2014, 01:37 AM   #122
TedShatner10
Commodore

OK guys/gals, my illustration course at the City of Bath College concludes next week with a presentation, and I've got a wad of work in a folder and 18 A4 sized (mostly) coloured illustrations in a sketchbook, with a couple of final polished works. My final work is supposed to be a book cover for Lewis Carol's Alice's Adventures in Wonderland.
Old March 26 2014, 05:04 PM   #123
Tom Hendricks
Commodore

I finished my Cardinal, there is a ton of things I would do differently but overall I'm very happy.

Old March 26 2014, 06:12 PM   #124
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

View cooleddie74's Twitter Profile

That's a great-looking cardinal, Tom. Very realistic. That's some nice work you've done!

-Captain Jonathan Archer, 2151
cooleddie74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2014, 01:51 AM   #125
Tom Hendricks
Commodore

cooleddie74 wrote: View Post
That's a great-looking cardinal, Tom. Very realistic. That's some nice work you've done!
Thanks, I appreciate that... It has been a long time since I painted anything and taking these lessons are great. It allows me to get out of the house and makes me do something creative.

Here is what I'm working on for next class, this is my pencil drawing of some tulips.

Old March 30 2014, 02:47 PM   #126
TedShatner10
Commodore

The day before last Friday I did the second part of a Royal West Art Academy course that involves drawing things outdoors and while I enjoyed it, and produced pleasing work I don't normally do, I found the ridiculous £90 fee extortionate (art supplies can sometimes be ruinously expensive as well).
Old October 19 2014, 06:44 PM   #127
Locutus of Bored
Full Metal Bat'leth

Bumped because of a suggestion in the "Threads you'd like to see" topic. Thanks to macloudt for the reminder.

I look forward to seeing more of your artwork, Miscellaneous. And let's not just restrict it to traditional forms of art like painting and sketching. If you want to post some knitting projects, CG art, typography, creative photoshop work, artistic photography, what have you, that's welcome too.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2014, 07:11 PM   #128
Melakon
Vice Admiral

Render from about 10 years ago. It's early designs from my personal sci-fi universe. This was representing a fighter leaving the launch bay of a space station, only partly visible here. Modeled and rendered in Animation Master, by Hash. One of these days I need to go back and work on it some more, since nothing's as detailed as I would like. Some of the lighting textures were from Unreal Tournament.
Old October 19 2014, 07:21 PM   #129
macloudt
Down with this sort of thing

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to macloudt

You're welcome, and to get things moving again I'll show off my largest and most complex knitting project to date. It's a wedding shawl for K'Ehleyr, which she had no idea I was making for her and drove me to tears with frustration from time to time. For the first 100 rows or so I had to undo as many rows as I knit thanks to constant errors (mine, not ones in the pattern, which was error-free), but once I got into the rhythm of the pattern went quite well. I'm very proud of it and rather than pack it away after the wedding K'Ehleyr wears it on a regular basis, which I love.

Here's the bride wearing the shawl:

And here's a close-up of the pattern as the shawl was being blocked (lace knitting looks like a clump of dried Ramen noodles until it's washed and blocked, which, as the photo shows, involves long wires down the sides and a gazillion t-pins). The pattern is a 32-row repeat and the yarn is Fyberspates Gleam, a beautiful lace-weight wool/silk mix which is lovely to knit with.

I finished this project a year ago, and I'm almost ready to tackle something of the same size and calibre again.

High-quality, beautiful hand knit items in support of charity available at Neighbourworks - Close Knit Style. Check it out!
macloudt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2014, 07:24 PM   #130
Locutus of Bored
Full Metal Bat'leth

Thanks for posting these Melakon and macloudt!

Macloudt, that's lovely and such a thoughtful and personal gift. I'm glad that she continues to get so much enjoyment out of wearing it.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2014, 11:19 PM   #131
Ancient Mariner
Rear Admiral

View Ancient Mariner's Twitter Profile

That's a lovely shawl, macloudt! How long did it take you to finish it? And I love seeing the happy bride wearing it!

Melakon, what happened with your story world? Have you thought of continuing your efforts?

I'm not much of an artist, but did some sketches years ago, and I though that I thought I might share one of them:

I also used to do a lot of time designing graphics for my website and forums. But those are pretty outdated nowadays, methinks.
Old October 19 2014, 11:28 PM   #132
Mutenroshi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Mutenroshi

A rendition I did of one of my students (who is the spitting image of a Belgian character I used to draw again and again):
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...e.jpg~original
done on my class's whiteboard

and here's a WIP

Jack Beauregard: "You shine like the door of a whorehouse!"
Nobody: "I like folks to see me."

Last edited by Locutus of Bored; October 19 2014 at 11:36 PM. Reason: converted stretchy pic to link
Mutenroshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2014, 11:54 PM   #133
Tora Ziyal
Rear Admiral

macghoul wrote: View Post
Lovely shawl, lovely bride!
Tora Ziyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20 2014, 12:13 AM   #134
macloudt
Down with this sort of thing

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to macloudt

Thank you. Ancient Mariner, I didn't add up the exact amount of time it took me to knit the shawl (because that would have driven me to drink, and knitting drunk is never, ever a good idea...ask me how I know), but if I remember correctly I gave myself just over two months to knit it. It was finished, blocked and dried a few days before I left for the wedding, so I timed it right without having to pull any all-nighters. As a rule I'm pretty bad with deadlines but I managed this one quite well.

High-quality, beautiful hand knit items in support of charity available at Neighbourworks - Close Knit Style. Check it out!
macloudt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20 2014, 12:16 AM   #135
Ancient Mariner
Rear Admiral

View Ancient Mariner's Twitter Profile

^ That's exactly what I was thinking about ... I'm terrible with deadlines and, with a rather definitive wedding date looming, I would have been a mess to get it done.

Congrats, though, it turned out really well (and is now a fantastic, beautiful, useful keepsake).