Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old November 7 2013, 11:47 PM   #46
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

Re: Marvel Studios may be planning more MCU for the small screen

Fist McStrongpunch wrote: View Post
There are plenty of ways you can see it.
I'm talking about being able to eventually see it legally. Obviously, depending on what your willing to do, you can see basically anything. I just don't like that there will almost certainly be no legal releases for this stuff for those of us without Netflix capability/people who buy shows on dVD. Hopefully they won't make enough money to be viable and force them to stop and just focus on television.
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2013, 11:59 PM   #47
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Television is a medium whose economic strategy is in serious jeopardy. Programs like this help account for people who don't watch commercials anymore. If these types of ventures fail (and by extension, all subscriber networks), we could easily end up with a scenario of no television in 10-15 years. After all, this method follows things like HBO and Showtime. If it were on those networks, would you hope it failed too?
Old November 8 2013, 12:48 AM   #48
AvBaur
Captain

View AvBaur's Twitter Profile

kirk55555 wrote: View Post
Fist McStrongpunch wrote: View Post
There are plenty of ways you can see it.
I'm talking about being able to eventually see it legally. Obviously, depending on what your willing to do, you can see basically anything. I just don't like that there will almost certainly be no legal releases for this stuff for those of us without Netflix capability/people who buy shows on dVD.
I'm sure there will be legal ways to watch the show on DVD, iTunes, and/or other streaming sites eventually. We just might have to wait a bit.

Personally, I'm hoping they'll do the same thing they're doing with Agents of SHIELD now, which is to make the episodes available on German iTunes within a day of its original US airing. (There's no Netflix in Germany.)
Old November 8 2013, 12:52 AM   #49
DarthPipes
Rear Admiral

I'm thrilled that we're getting a Daredevil show. I've always thought that would make a great series.
DarthPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8 2013, 12:52 AM   #50
Relayer1
Commodore

A few weeks ago I was excited at the idea of more Marvel TV shows. After seeing AoS, I've changed my mind somewhat.

That's not to say that they couldn't surprise me, but I've not liked any superhero TV shows so far, and I really want to...
Old November 8 2013, 12:57 AM   #51
Admiral James Kirk
Writer

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
Television is a medium whose economic strategy is in serious jeopardy. Programs like this help account for people who don't watch commercials anymore.
I haven't watched commercial television in years. Don't have cable either. Netflix and Amazon Instant Video ARE television to me. I'm actually pretty happy with the on-demand business model. Helps me weed out all the crap.
Admiral James Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8 2013, 12:59 AM   #52
cylkoth
Commodore

I'm betting none of this will ever make it to physical media like DVD's either. This is going to set a bad precedent if it succeeds. I can only hope it fails horribly.
The studios producing Netflix' original series are releasing them on dvd. Just like HBO/SHO/STARZ series are released on disc several months after they've finished their seasons. That same release pattern will be employed for NF shows. House of Cards debuted in February exclusively on the service, and the dvds are coming out this month. Same timeframe as usual. Then the studio will make it available on pay per view, and eventually, sell it to other outlets-but Netflix will be the only (monthly subscription) streaming company that'll have it.

If you don't subscribe to Netflix, you'll simply wait the same length of time that you would if you don't subscribe to HBO and want to see Game of Thrones. So enhance your calm and be well. The sky is not falling.
Old November 8 2013, 01:22 AM   #53
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

The sky is always falling so far as kirk55555 is concerned.
Old November 8 2013, 01:23 AM   #54
Christopher
Writer

Why in the world would the makers of a TV show want to keep it from getting to a wide audience? How would that profit them? Heck, most broadcast-TV shows don't make a profit until they get released on DVD (or in syndication in the old days). So of course these shows will get an eventual release on DVD, iTunes, or whatever.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8 2013, 01:30 AM   #55
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Not to toot my own horn or anything, but I posted this in the "Daredevil back to Marvel Studios?" thread just over a year ago...

Daredevil could be the tent-pole property for an entire new tier of Marvel movies. Tie together Daredevil with Power Man and Iron Fist and Punisher using Ben Urich as the link character ala Coulson, with Wilson Fisk as a recurring villain.
Of course, I was thinking movie properties rather than television, but they're still coming pretty close to my idea.

IMHO, they'd be foolish not to include a cool character like Ben Urich in this project.
Old November 8 2013, 01:39 AM   #56
Admiral James Kirk
Writer

I want Joey Pants to play Urich on the show.
Admiral James Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8 2013, 10:31 PM   #57
Dream
Admiral

I hope we get a Daredevil show!
Old November 8 2013, 10:54 PM   #58
Christopher
Writer

Dream wrote: View Post
I hope we get a Daredevil show!
We will. That's the first of the four announced series.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9 2013, 02:44 AM   #59
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

cylkoth wrote: View Post
I'm betting none of this will ever make it to physical media like DVD's either. This is going to set a bad precedent if it succeeds. I can only hope it fails horribly.
The studios producing Netflix' original series are releasing them on dvd. Just like HBO/SHO/STARZ series are released on disc several months after they've finished their seasons. That same release pattern will be employed for NF shows. House of Cards debuted in February exclusively on the service, and the dvds are coming out this month. Same timeframe as usual. Then the studio will make it available on pay per view, and eventually, sell it to other outlets-but Netflix will be the only (monthly subscription) streaming company that'll have it.

If you don't subscribe to Netflix, you'll simply wait the same length of time that you would if you don't subscribe to HBO and want to see Game of Thrones. So enhance your calm and be well. The sky is not falling.
If you say so. I hope we'd get DVD releases, but if they're not willing to put the shows on television, that just seems to me to be a big sign that they probably hate physical media as well as television and will keep it only online. Why would netflix let them put it on DVD? It would only cost them money, and if Marvel is makiing shows with them, I'm assuming that Netflix has the final say. Even if they don't, the whole situation just screams online only.

Basically, if they're so cheap/hate TV so much that they're using netflix to air the shows, I have no faith that they'll even be willing to spend the money to make the DVDs. I hope I'm wrong, but I won't be surprised if these shows never get a physical media release.

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
Television is a medium whose economic strategy is in serious jeopardy. Programs like this help account for people who don't watch commercials anymore. If these types of ventures fail (and by extension, all subscriber networks), we could easily end up with a scenario of no television in 10-15 years. After all, this method follows things like HBO and Showtime. If it were on those networks, would you hope it failed too?
TV isn't going anywhere. Too many people watch it that don't/can't get access to stuff like netflix. TV won't be going anywhere anytime soon, not until someone creates completely free 100% internet access for the entire world. Until then, TV is safe.

As for HBO and Showtime, I've never had them and never would (why spend so much money to watch movies you can see on dVD and random dumb sounding tv shows?) so I couldn't care less if they failed, not that there is any chance of that.
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9 2013, 03:27 AM   #60
JD
Admiral

I can guarantee you that the companies that make the shows for Netflix don't hate TV or physical media, they are simply taking advantage of a new distribution method. The Netflix style of media release is the next big thing as far as this kind of stuff is concerned, so it makes sense that Disney/Marvel would want to get in on it. I've had Netflix for a couple years now, and don't plan on getting rid of it any time soon, so this makes me very happy.
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
JD is offline   Reply With Quote