Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy

Trek Retro Watches

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old March 1 2014, 12:52 AM   #301
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

Re: Marvel Studios may be planning more MCU for the small screen

References to CSI:NY should be in past tense...it got the big C.
Old March 1 2014, 01:56 AM   #302
Christopher
Writer

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
I think CSI does pickup or establishing shots in NYC but keep the actors in LA.
Well, that's a given for any fake-NY show -- you need the establishing shots to sell the illusion. But CSI:NY did more than that. They would travel to New York twice a year to film exterior scenes that would be spread across multiple episodes. So there would be a certain amount of real NY footage here and there amid the LA footage -- not just pickups but actual dialogue and action scenes with the main cast.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2 2014, 10:23 PM   #303
Caretaker
Commodore

View Caretaker's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Caretaker Send a message via AIM to Caretaker

One of the things that most bugs me about NCIS - you would think the production could afford to fly the cast out for some DC/Delaware/Maryland/Virginia filming a couple of time per year. But I digress.

As someone who has a wannabe actress in the family who lives in NYC, I'm glad for any NYC filming.

Caretaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2 2014, 10:54 PM   #304
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Nothing worth filming in Delaware
Old March 3 2014, 12:29 AM   #305
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

Christopher wrote: View Post
Person of Interest and Elementary are also filmed in New York City, and take very good advantage of the setting, like most actually-in-NYC shows.
I haven't watched Elementary but Person of Interest has become even more fun for me to watch since moving here. I've walked past their filming locations numerous times and they've also filmed a few scenes a block away from my office. I can't see wait to see where they film the Marvel shows.
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3 2014, 01:45 AM   #306
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Nothing worth filming in Delaware
Isn't Delaware the American equivalent to Swindon? Or is that New Jersey? No, New Jersey sounds more like Essex. What's the other really crappy one...Pittsburgh?
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3 2014, 03:50 AM   #307
Alidar Jarok

What the hell is Swindon?

It's a little hard to compare because you're mixing cities and states, so things get a bit jumbled. Delaware is the second smallest state, but it also has weird idiosyncrasies. No sales tax, all the corporations in the country register there to take advantage of their laws, most people just drive through for 20 minutes where they get hit by a bunch of tolls while trying to go from DC to New York. All the while, the people in Delaware laugh at them doing this so they can live happily without sales tax.
Old March 3 2014, 06:17 AM   #308
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

most people just drive through for 20 minutes where they get hit by a bunch of tolls while trying to go from DC to New York.
The ex and I had a joke about this phenomenon: the state motto is "Pay up and get out."
Old March 3 2014, 06:26 AM   #309
Alidar Jarok

Hey, if people wanted to actually be in Delaware, the tolls wouldn't hit you so much. They're also easily avoidable if people take five minutes longer (and drive through the genuinely beautiful University of Delaware campus), but everybody would rather complain than do that. Delaware Memorial Bridge toll is a little harder to avoid, but don't think of that as an "entering Delaware" tax, think of it as a "leaving New Jersey" tax. And that's totally worth it

Although perhaps we should get back on topic
Old March 3 2014, 05:26 PM   #310
Corran Horn
Vice Admiral

Caretaker wrote: View Post
One of the things that most bugs me about NCIS - you would think the production could afford to fly the cast out for some DC/Delaware/Maryland/Virginia filming a couple of time per year. But I digress.

As someone who has a wannabe actress in the family who lives in NYC, I'm glad for any NYC filming.
yeah, often times NCIS uses blue/green screen to fake a location shot and it looks horrible.
Old March 3 2014, 06:55 PM   #311
Gaith
Rear Admiral

^ If the grannies and grandpas that form the core of their viewership don't care, why should the actors, who probably prefer to live in LA anyway?
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2014, 10:07 AM   #312
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Daredevil to begin shooting in NYC in July.

I imagine that casting info will be coming rather soon.
Old March 26 2014, 04:38 PM   #313
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Casting news by May perhaps? At least for the leads.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29 2014, 09:43 PM   #314
Alidar Jarok

I don't really have a better place to post this, but I finally saw The Incredible Hulk. I liked it quite a bit and think it's worth more than it's rated. But the reason I chose this thread to post it in is this: I dislike origin stories and always find it unfortunate that so much of a movie has to be wasted with an origin story. I thought it did a good job of covering it quickly at the beginning and then weaving it into the narrative.

This got me thinking about how to handle Daredevil. In particular, I'm thinking of the origin story as seen in The Man Without Fear (regardless of the tone of the series, I'd imagine that will be a big starting point). The accident itself that blinds him happens as he is a kid, same with the training, etc. Matt Murdock has learned to live with his condition for years before he decides to become a vigilante.

Given all this, it would be a shame to truncate things to tell the origin story. More importantly, the story itself has a lot of nuances that could be fleshed out over time. My idea was that, instead of telling the story starting when he's a kid, they should do it through flashbacks and use Frank Miller's story as the primary basis of them. The flashbacks don't even have to be chronological. It would be better to do it thematically. For example, suppose there's a story that calls back memories of his father, it would make sense to tell the whole thing together rather than have to tell half the story first in order to cover up to the accident. You could also explore aspects of faith and religion and call back to his mother even though it would clearly overlap with other events chronologically.

What does everyone think of this idea? Part of the obvious problem I can see is that it might look like they're trying to rip off Arrow. But I think a show like Daredevil would benefit well thematically. More important, you don't have to waste time with the origin and can hit the ground running.
Old March 29 2014, 10:19 PM   #315
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

I'd like to see his past and origins spread out slowly, over the course of the season. Comparisons to "Arrow" be damned, they're not the first to utilize that story-telling technique anyway.