RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 140,904
Posts: 5,477,662
Members: 25,051
Currently online: 470
Newest member: GrammaticalFict

TrekToday headlines

New Star Trek Funko Pop! Vinyl Figures
By: T'Bonz on Nov 26

QMx Mini Phaser Ornament
By: T'Bonz on Nov 26

Stewart as Neo-Nazi Skinhead
By: T'Bonz on Nov 26

Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Trek Actors In War Of The Worlds Fundraiser
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Star Trek: The Next Generation Gag Reel Tease
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Retro Review: Covenant
By: Michelle on Nov 22

Two Official Starships Collection Previews
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old October 20 2013, 06:54 PM   #16
Maurice
Vice Admiral
 
Maurice's Avatar
 
Location: Maurice in San Francisco
View Maurice's Twitter Profile
Re: REMUS AND ROMULUS

Well, the rotational speed of planets is affected by a lot of things, including collisions with other bodies. It's possible Remus was a body that was hit by another body and the impact slowed its rotation, and over time it's become tidally locked.
__________________
* * *
“Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.”
― Winston S. Churchill
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20 2013, 10:26 PM   #17
Robert Comsol
Commodore
 
Robert Comsol's Avatar
 
Location: USS Berlin
Re: REMUS AND ROMULUS

I know it's somewhat off-topic but since 2004 we do have real celestial bodies that have been named Remus and Romulus.

Bob
__________________
"The first duty of every Starfleet officer is to the truth" Jean-Luc Picard
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."
Albert Einstein
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21 2013, 04:15 PM   #18
EnterpriseClass
Ensign
 
Re: REMUS AND ROMULUS

ChowdaHead wrote: View Post
GoRe Star wrote: View Post


This shows it pretty good, though the opening montage of Nemesis shows basically the same... they're close, but not close enough to influence one another's gravity as they both have their own separate orbits.
never watched nemesis as I heard from most it was really bad. but thank you sir for the help I appreciate it.
Not trying to sound like a dick, but you are a Star Trek fan who hasn't watched a Star Trek movie that has been out for ten years because a bunch of other people didn't like it? Really? I find that very hard to understand. Don't YOU have an opinion? Who cares what other people think, watch the movie and make up your own mind.
EnterpriseClass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22 2013, 03:36 AM   #19
ChowdaHead
Lieutenant Commander
 
ChowdaHead's Avatar
 
Re: REMUS AND ROMULUS

EnterpriseClass wrote: View Post
ChowdaHead wrote: View Post
GoRe Star wrote: View Post


This shows it pretty good, though the opening montage of Nemesis shows basically the same... they're close, but not close enough to influence one another's gravity as they both have their own separate orbits.
never watched nemesis as I heard from most it was really bad. but thank you sir for the help I appreciate it.
Not trying to sound like a dick, but you are a Star Trek fan who hasn't watched a Star Trek movie that has been out for ten years because a bunch of other people didn't like it? Really? I find that very hard to understand. Don't YOU have an opinion? Who cares what other people think, watch the movie and make up your own mind.
so because im a trek fan im obligated to watch shitty movies? because im a trek fan im obligated to spend money on shitty movies? yes I value the opinions of fellow fans of film whose opinions I respect, and because I do I save 2 hours of my life once in awhile. being the fan of film that I am I did check it out not 3 days ago, and honestly, I wish I hadn't. it really didn't have much in it worth paying the rental fee for.
ChowdaHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22 2013, 04:02 PM   #20
EnterpriseClass
Ensign
 
Re: REMUS AND ROMULUS

ChowdaHead wrote: View Post
EnterpriseClass wrote: View Post
ChowdaHead wrote: View Post

never watched nemesis as I heard from most it was really bad. but thank you sir for the help I appreciate it.
Not trying to sound like a dick, but you are a Star Trek fan who hasn't watched a Star Trek movie that has been out for ten years because a bunch of other people didn't like it? Really? I find that very hard to understand. Don't YOU have an opinion? Who cares what other people think, watch the movie and make up your own mind.
so because im a trek fan im obligated to watch shitty movies? because im a trek fan im obligated to spend money on shitty movies? yes I value the opinions of fellow fans of film whose opinions I respect, and because I do I save 2 hours of my life once in awhile. being the fan of film that I am I did check it out not 3 days ago, and honestly, I wish I hadn't. it really didn't have much in it worth paying the rental fee for.
I hate to break it too you but yes being a FAN of a film series means you are obligated to watch everything of Star Trek that is released. Other wise your not a fan, your just someone who casually likes Star Trek. And if a film in the series sucks, it sucks. Don't watch it again. At least you saw it and can form your own opinion on it.

And enough with the melodrama please. Nemesis wasn't that great but it was far from the steaming pile you make it out to be. It's sounds like you went into it with the preconceived idea that it sucks because people you know say so. So that's exactly how you saw it.

I'm not saying it was a good movie, but acting like it was so bad you wish you could go back in time and stop yourself from seeing it is crazy. You're telling me as a Star Trek fan there was absolutely nothing in Nemesis even remotely good about it? Please.

I will ever understand people's need to conform to the majority opinion on a film. I wouldn't care if literally every single person on the planet saw a movie and said it sucked. I would always form MY OWN opinion on it.

And yes before you try and say otherwise, you DID conform to other people's opinions without forming your own. As a Star Trek fan, you didn't watch a Star Trek movie for over ten years because someone else had a negative opinion on it. And it doesn't matter that you say it sucks now that you've seen it. For ten years it could have been the greatest Star Trek movie every made, in your opinion, but you wouldn't know that until you've seen it.

Last edited by EnterpriseClass; October 22 2013 at 04:12 PM.
EnterpriseClass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22 2013, 04:51 PM   #21
R. Star
Rear Admiral
 
R. Star's Avatar
 
Location: Shangri-La
Re: REMUS AND ROMULUS

Who made Enterprise President of the Star Trek fan club? Obligations as a fan? Come on... lighten up. Though you get irony points for telling others to cut the melodrama with that post.
__________________
"I was never a Star Trek fan." J.J. Abrams
R. Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25 2013, 08:45 PM   #22
ChowdaHead
Lieutenant Commander
 
ChowdaHead's Avatar
 
Re: REMUS AND ROMULUS

EnterpriseClass wrote: View Post
ChowdaHead wrote: View Post
EnterpriseClass wrote: View Post

Not trying to sound like a dick, but you are a Star Trek fan who hasn't watched a Star Trek movie that has been out for ten years because a bunch of other people didn't like it? Really? I find that very hard to understand. Don't YOU have an opinion? Who cares what other people think, watch the movie and make up your own mind.
so because im a trek fan im obligated to watch shitty movies? because im a trek fan im obligated to spend money on shitty movies? yes I value the opinions of fellow fans of film whose opinions I respect, and because I do I save 2 hours of my life once in awhile. being the fan of film that I am I did check it out not 3 days ago, and honestly, I wish I hadn't. it really didn't have much in it worth paying the rental fee for.
I hate to break it too you but yes being a FAN of a film series means you are obligated to watch everything of Star Trek that is released. Other wise your not a fan, your just someone who casually likes Star Trek. And if a film in the series sucks, it sucks. Don't watch it again. At least you saw it and can form your own opinion on it.

And enough with the melodrama please. Nemesis wasn't that great but it was far from the steaming pile you make it out to be. It's sounds like you went into it with the preconceived idea that it sucks because people you know say so. So that's exactly how you saw it.

I'm not saying it was a good movie, but acting like it was so bad you wish you could go back in time and stop yourself from seeing it is crazy. You're telling me as a Star Trek fan there was absolutely nothing in Nemesis even remotely good about it? Please.

I will ever understand people's need to conform to the majority opinion on a film. I wouldn't care if literally every single person on the planet saw a movie and said it sucked. I would always form MY OWN opinion on it.

And yes before you try and say otherwise, you DID conform to other people's opinions without forming your own. As a Star Trek fan, you didn't watch a Star Trek movie for over ten years because someone else had a negative opinion on it. And it doesn't matter that you say it sucks now that you've seen it. For ten years it could have been the greatest Star Trek movie every made, in your opinion, but you wouldn't know that until you've seen it.
it was terrible. that's MY opinion. it just happens to line up with that of OTHERS. you fucking twat. by the way, you sound like an idiot. telling me what I am what I should and should not do, what makes me a fan or what doesn't.... get off your high horse pal.
ChowdaHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25 2013, 08:46 PM   #23
ChowdaHead
Lieutenant Commander
 
ChowdaHead's Avatar
 
Re: REMUS AND ROMULUS

GoRe Star wrote: View Post
Who made Enterprise President of the Star Trek fan club? Obligations as a fan? Come on... lighten up. Though you get irony points for telling others to cut the melodrama with that post.
this, this, annnnnd this
ChowdaHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26 2013, 01:10 AM   #24
xvicente
Commander
 
xvicente's Avatar
 
Re: REMUS AND ROMULUS

Nemesis wasn't the best, but the only thing really wrong with it was the sex scene.
__________________
-----------------------------------------------------------

I am here to talk about Star Trek and chew bubble gum.
and I'm all outta bubble gum.
xvicente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26 2013, 04:42 AM   #25
Misfit Toy
Caped Trek Mod
 
Misfit Toy's Avatar
 
Location: Transporter buffer
Re: REMUS AND ROMULUS

ChowdaHead wrote: View Post
EnterpriseClass wrote: View Post
ChowdaHead wrote: View Post
so because im a trek fan im obligated to watch shitty movies? because im a trek fan im obligated to spend money on shitty movies? yes I value the opinions of fellow fans of film whose opinions I respect, and because I do I save 2 hours of my life once in awhile. being the fan of film that I am I did check it out not 3 days ago, and honestly, I wish I hadn't. it really didn't have much in it worth paying the rental fee for.
I hate to break it too you but yes being a FAN of a film series means you are obligated to watch everything of Star Trek that is released. Other wise your not a fan, your just someone who casually likes Star Trek. And if a film in the series sucks, it sucks. Don't watch it again. At least you saw it and can form your own opinion on it.

And enough with the melodrama please. Nemesis wasn't that great but it was far from the steaming pile you make it out to be. It's sounds like you went into it with the preconceived idea that it sucks because people you know say so. So that's exactly how you saw it.

I'm not saying it was a good movie, but acting like it was so bad you wish you could go back in time and stop yourself from seeing it is crazy. You're telling me as a Star Trek fan there was absolutely nothing in Nemesis even remotely good about it? Please.

I will ever understand people's need to conform to the majority opinion on a film. I wouldn't care if literally every single person on the planet saw a movie and said it sucked. I would always form MY OWN opinion on it.

And yes before you try and say otherwise, you DID conform to other people's opinions without forming your own. As a Star Trek fan, you didn't watch a Star Trek movie for over ten years because someone else had a negative opinion on it. And it doesn't matter that you say it sucks now that you've seen it. For ten years it could have been the greatest Star Trek movie every made, in your opinion, but you wouldn't know that until you've seen it.
it was terrible. that's MY opinion. it just happens to line up with that of OTHERS. you fucking twat. by the way, you sound like an idiot. telling me what I am what I should and should not do, what makes me a fan or what doesn't.... get off your high horse pal.
Pardon me as I ride up on MY high horse and tell you that you've earned an infraction for flaming. Keep it up and you'll find your stay at TrekBBS a very short one. Any relevant comments may be made via PM.

And EnterpriseClass? YOU don't get to decide who is or is not a fan. Get over yourself.
__________________
Woof.
Misfit Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27 2013, 08:24 AM   #26
ChowdaHead
Lieutenant Commander
 
ChowdaHead's Avatar
 
Re: REMUS AND ROMULUS

Crypto wrote: View Post
ChowdaHead wrote: View Post
EnterpriseClass wrote: View Post

I hate to break it too you but yes being a FAN of a film series means you are obligated to watch everything of Star Trek that is released. Other wise your not a fan, your just someone who casually likes Star Trek. And if a film in the series sucks, it sucks. Don't watch it again. At least you saw it and can form your own opinion on it.

And enough with the melodrama please. Nemesis wasn't that great but it was far from the steaming pile you make it out to be. It's sounds like you went into it with the preconceived idea that it sucks because people you know say so. So that's exactly how you saw it.

I'm not saying it was a good movie, but acting like it was so bad you wish you could go back in time and stop yourself from seeing it is crazy. You're telling me as a Star Trek fan there was absolutely nothing in Nemesis even remotely good about it? Please.

I will ever understand people's need to conform to the majority opinion on a film. I wouldn't care if literally every single person on the planet saw a movie and said it sucked. I would always form MY OWN opinion on it.

And yes before you try and say otherwise, you DID conform to other people's opinions without forming your own. As a Star Trek fan, you didn't watch a Star Trek movie for over ten years because someone else had a negative opinion on it. And it doesn't matter that you say it sucks now that you've seen it. For ten years it could have been the greatest Star Trek movie every made, in your opinion, but you wouldn't know that until you've seen it.
it was terrible. that's MY opinion. it just happens to line up with that of OTHERS. you fucking twat. by the way, you sound like an idiot. telling me what I am what I should and should not do, what makes me a fan or what doesn't.... get off your high horse pal.
Pardon me as I ride up on MY high horse and tell you that you've earned an infraction for flaming. Keep it up and you'll find your stay at TrekBBS a very short one. Any relevant comments may be made via PM.

And EnterpriseClass? YOU don't get to decide who is or is not a fan. Get over yourself.
couldn't resist
ChowdaHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27 2013, 07:55 PM   #27
Nine of Four
Commander
 
Nine of Four's Avatar
 
Location: On a Borg Cube in the Delta Quadrant
Re: REMUS AND ROMULUS

This thread got way off topic.....

But anyway, I thought Nemesis was awesome!! I liked it a lot better than Generations.....
__________________
- Nine of Four
Nine of Four is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27 2013, 08:25 PM   #28
T'Girl
Vice Admiral
 
T'Girl's Avatar
 
Location: comfortably residing in the meat packing district
Re: REMUS AND ROMULUS

^ Definitely better than the two movies that followed it.



__________________
.
TOS, TNG and VGR never mentioned a "Federation President."
T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27 2013, 10:02 PM   #29
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral
 
King Daniel Into Darkness's Avatar
 
Location: King Daniel Into Darkness
Re: REMUS AND ROMULUS

No.

(although I too liked Nemesis)
__________________
Star Trek Imponderables, fun mashups of Trek's biggest continuity errors! Ep1, Ep2 and Ep3
King Daniel Into Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27 2013, 10:26 PM   #30
1001001
Let the Good Times Roll!!
 
1001001's Avatar
 
Location: People's Gaypublic of Drugafornia
Re: REMUS AND ROMULUS

Unspeakable wrote: View Post
^ Definitely better than the two movies that followed it
I thought Nemesis was truly awful, with nowhere near the fun, excitement, or adventure of the Abrams films.
__________________
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
1001001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:24 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.