RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,711
Members: 24,834
Currently online: 524
Newest member: fanficfan

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old October 17 2013, 03:14 AM   #1
Chris3123
Vice Admiral

Awesome Samsung Galaxy Gear commercials

They cover the history of wrist communicators in movies and tv.

This one shows each example close up, with audio clips:

And the next one actually shows video clips:

I like how for Babylon 5 they chose clips featuring the late Michael O'Hare. I don't know if that was an intentional tribute or coincidence, but either way it was nice to see. I also enjoyed seeing Star Trek (of course), Knight Rider, Get Smart and Power Rangers referenced.
Chris3123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17 2013, 03:24 AM   #2
shivkala
Rear Admiral

Re: Awesome Samsung Galaxy Gear commercials

I saw the commercial last week and immediately posted it to the "#FreeBabylon5 Campaign" thread. I was so excited to see the inclusion of Babylon 5 among the (arguably) more famous and/or recognizable clips.

I hadn't seen the first clip you posted. Sadly, no Babylon 5, but it was really cool to see.

They keep using "Jamie Glass" as their person calling. I wonder if that's a reference/dig at Google Glass...
"When I reach for the edge of the universe, I do it knowing that along some paths of cosmic discovery, there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves." --Neil deGrasse Tyson
shivkala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17 2013, 07:10 AM   #3
davejames
Vice Admiral

Yeah I thought these were pretty cool as well. Although it does seem like a stretch to highlight a wrist communicator that only appeared briefly in one Star Trek movie from the 70s.

And I'm not sure the Predator gauntlet should really count either (although it was cool to see).
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17 2013, 09:31 AM   #4
Magellan
Lieutenant Commander

Yeah just saw it today. They're both really cool commercials, and do really highlight this as an idea we've been dreaming of forever.

Of course it's too bad the Galaxy Gear isn't a communicator watch since it needs a cell phone. Only a couple of Samsung models work at that. Great commercials, but stupid product.
Magellan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17 2013, 05:29 PM   #5
davejames
Vice Admiral

Yeah it seems kind of pointless to me as well, since we already have smartphones that can do so much more, which we're already accustomed to taking everywhere we go.

The watch just seems like an unnecessary accessory.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17 2013, 05:44 PM   #6
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor

No Sarah Jane?
Timelord Victorious is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 17 2013, 05:45 PM   #7
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor

davejames wrote: View Post
Yeah it seems kind of pointless to me as well, since we already have smartphones that can do so much more, which we're already accustomed to taking everywhere we go.

The watch just seems like an unnecessary accessory.
It's meant as an extension of smartphones and tablets not a replacement.
Timelord Victorious is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 21 2013, 04:17 AM   #8
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

davejames wrote: View Post
And I'm not sure the Predator gauntlet should really count either (although it was cool to see).

It shows the time and sets off a small nuclear explosion.
Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21 2013, 05:03 AM   #9
Stone_Cold_Sisko
Vice Admiral

Great commercial for what sounds like, at least from tech reviews, kind of a crap product. Supposedly really laggy, not a fluid user experience, and strange choices on how to handle functions that are the extension of a phone. Seems like they rushed something out the door to beat Apple to market.

But they really are great commercials. Even (sort of) knowing all the above, those commercials still make me, at least momentarily want one. Fantastic selling of the product.

By the way the Star Trek communicator in the first commercial actually has a really nice design!
Stone_Cold_Sisko is offline   Reply With Quote