Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old November 5 2013, 05:46 PM   #16
Tom
Rear Admiral

Re: Regeneration

I hope they address some of this with Capaldi's Doctor being older than the last several incarnations. I think several factors have decreased the Doctors regenerative energy thus resulting in the 12th doctors older body:

- A conscious willingness to be 'young' with the Ninth Doctor (wanting to be more of a match for Rose) and the 11th doctor considering how 10 loved how youthful he was and did not want it to end. So these two regenerations perhaps used a bit more than he should have used to get a 'young' body.

- Half regeneration in Journey's End used a bunch of energy.

- Giving some to River to heal her hand, she knew that he did not have much to waste on her.

- If the hurt doctor is a real incarnation then the Doctor is truly on his 13th body and his 'energy' may be gone, or almost gone.

Now, he did get some from River in LKH, but it was probably enough to just heal him.

Either way, I hope this all gets addressed soon.
Old November 5 2013, 05:53 PM   #17
Lance
Fleet Captain

Tom wrote: View Post
If the hurt doctor is a real incarnation then the Doctor is truly on his 13th body and his 'energy' may be gone, or almost gone.
This here's a wild card, but it isn't beyond the realms of possibility. It would be a very "Steven Moffat" idea to suddenly turn the entire series on its head and reveal to us that, nope, while we've been under the impression we've been watching 9-11 for the last seven years, in reality we've actually been watching 10-12!

I'm not sure an 'older' Doctor requires explanation btw -- technically we could say that the Colin Baker and Sylvester McCoy incarnations were both 'older' physically than the Peter Davison incarnation, but an explanation for exactly why this should be was not forthcoming. Unless the stress of Five regenerating from Spectrox poisoning somehow caused his sixth incarnation to gain a few wrinkles (and a few pounds!).

You're right though. Most regenerations are drawn as being 'renewals', right down to the new body being somewhat younger than the old one. Six and Twelve are exceptions to the rule.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2013, 09:29 PM   #18
Tom
Rear Admiral

Well we know Moffat did have plot reason for going older, we just don't know what that reason is yet.
Old November 6 2013, 09:41 AM   #19
Captain_Amasov
Captain

It's been suggested that Capaldi's Doctor may be the "First" in a new regeneration cycle, hence why they chose to go with an older actor at this time; especially since he'd be roughly the same age as Hartnell when he first played the role. Now, there's nothing particularly game changing about that but what if, when he gets this new cycle, Capaldi's Doctor doesn't carry over the memories or experiences of his past lives; essentially a bookmark for the first fifty years, and a clean slate for the Doctor continuity wise leading into the next fifty.

Last edited by Captain_Amasov; November 6 2013 at 10:12 AM.
Captain_Amasov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6 2013, 10:38 AM   #20
Starkers
Admiral

The age thing is a bit of a misnomer I think. Moffat’s main reason for wanting an older Doctor seems to be down to the simple fact that Smith was so young, and he wanted something very different given that both 10 and 11 were youngish. Having said that SM has said before that he ideally sees the Doctor as someone older, and given it seems likely that Ben Daniels was in the running this seems to hold true. I doubt he decided on Capaldi simply because of his age though, bearing in mind Capaldi is almost a decade older than Daniels.

I do wonder if we’re in line for a much less active Doctor, and the return of an Ian/Jamie/Leela like character to do all the running about?

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6 2013, 06:29 PM   #21
Mark_Nguyen
Commodore

Who knows? Most of the acting I've seen Capaldi hasn't been terribly physical, but that doesn't mean that he's not a spry guy. The Doctor isn't by nature an action hero (save one)... Pertwee was older than Troughton, but he was far more active than his predecessor; and after five years he was as old as Hartnell was when he started, and Pertwee was STILL running around and arguably beating up more people than all the other Doctors combined. I see Peter as being able to punch and kick (and cuss) with the best of them.

Now, the real fun gets to be if we see a new and different regeneration effect. Not that the current one isn't awesome, but perhaps it's time to change it up a bit. And maybe, just maybe, the Doctor could regenerate NOT in his Tardis, and NOT standing up..?

Mark

Oh, I like that Trek thing too...
Mark_Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6 2013, 08:41 PM   #22
Starkers
Admiral

We can but hope. And I think you're right with regard to Capaldi, frankly he doesn't look like a man of 55, and like you say Pertwee was very action orientated and wasn't a young Doctor.

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13 2013, 08:03 PM   #23
Photoman15
Fleet Captain

Just was watching THE CREATURE FROM THE PIT with Tom Baker. Someone asks him how many lives he's lived. He replies 107 (to that point). So take that 13 lives!
Old November 14 2013, 09:50 AM   #24
Emperor-Tiberius
Fleet Captain

I guess Douglas Adams didn't take Holmes' retcon very seriously, then.
"Seventy eight point four years, Doctor."

The Holy Three meet again, in The Return
Emperor-Tiberius is online now   Reply With Quote