RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,413
Members: 24,632
Currently online: 421
Newest member: shrutidhrma

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old October 17 2013, 12:09 AM   #16
Mark_Nguyen
Commodore

Re: First Director Set For Series 8

The Sontarans are the Ferengi of Doctor Who. Created to be a menacing villain, taken seriously for a while, currently a laughingstock. No disrespect to Dan Starkey, though - he does his job well.

TV and film directing are wholly different. Budgets, creativity and very importantly time are all extremely constrained in TV for a director, where the reins are held more by the producers and writers than in film. Most everyone I know in the biz would rather direct films rather than TV, as creative people go. For every McG, there's a Kubrick out there, and you'd never want the latter near a TV set. I expect that they know this guy CAN do it, but for a Doctor-opening (two-parter?) story I personally would rather get someone who knows the TV production process backwards and forwards as a director.

Mark

Oh, I like that Trek thing too...
Mark_Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17 2013, 01:01 AM   #17
Emperor-Tiberius
Fleet Captain

I don't think the Ferengi were ever taken seriously. At least I never did - they just weren't ever gonna be a credible threat. They became a joke quite fast, in fact.
"Seventy eight point four years, Doctor."

The Holy Three meet again, in The Return
Emperor-Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17 2013, 06:03 AM   #18
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

Green Lantern wrote: View Post
Oh god, is the detective trio, the Silurian, the lesbian and the Sontaran returning? I feared as much. For fuck's sake, why, just why?
I like them. Presumably other people like them too. What is it about the Paternoster Gang that you don't like?
Old October 17 2013, 06:17 AM   #19
sttngfan1701d
Commodore

I thought they were lame in the Christmas Special last year but I like them now. Plus, when the Doctor changes or the companions change, at least they provide a sort of continuity.
sttngfan1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17 2013, 08:50 AM   #20
Starkers
Admiral

Mark_Nguyen wrote: View Post
The Sontarans are the Ferengi of Doctor Who. Created to be a menacing villain, taken seriously for a while, currently a laughingstock. No disrespect to Dan Starkey, though - he does his job well.

Mark
I dunno, I thought Dan Starkey managed to be quite menacing near the end of the Name of the Doctor when Strax had been reset, so I see no reason why Sontaran's can't still be menacing.

Just because Strax is a comedy character it doesn't mean the whole race is doomed. That's a bit like judging every human against Rory or Mickey or Adam.

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
Oh god, is the detective trio, the Silurian, the lesbian and the Sontaran returning? I feared as much. For fuck's sake, why, just why?
I like them. Presumably other people like them too. What is it about the Paternoster Gang that you don't like?
I love em!

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17 2013, 11:39 AM   #21
Sean_McCormick
Captain

Oh god, is the detective trio; the Silurian, the lesbian and the sontaran returning? I feared as much. For fucks sake. Why, just why.
Because the vast majority loves them. To me it seems to be only a small minority group inside the hardcore fans that don't like them. When you look through comments on the web, you get far more "Why isn't there a spinoff series already" than "i never want to see them again".
Sean_McCormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17 2013, 11:48 AM   #22
StCoop
Commodore

Sean_McCormick wrote: View Post
When you look through comments on the web, you get far more "Why isn't there a spinoff series already" than "i never want to see them again".
So that'd be a sample of about 0.1% of the total audience?
StCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17 2013, 12:04 PM   #23
Green Lantern
Fleet Captain

I know people who hate them, but no one who likes them.
Green Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17 2013, 12:06 PM   #24
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

I like them.
Old October 17 2013, 12:12 PM   #25
Green Lantern
Fleet Captain

Well people on this forum seem to have different tastes about the show than people on other forums and than I know in real life. Although I am in a minority here, from the rest of my whovian experience in life, you're probably all in a minority. But this is from my perspective. Still, from my viewpoint, this forum is the minority usually.
Old October 17 2013, 12:14 PM   #26
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

I know people who hate them, but no one who likes them.
When I was your age, I remember that it was fairly easy to find people who hated stuff, far easier, in fact, than it was to find people who liked anything. Perhaps your experience is similar.
Old October 17 2013, 12:17 PM   #27
Green Lantern
Fleet Captain

Maybe. Only time will tell though.

What I do know is right now I hate htem.
Old October 17 2013, 12:18 PM   #28
StCoop
Commodore

I have wondered more than once what the level of enthusiasm for a spin-off would be if it was Master Vastra and Jeremy and their relationship in the lead roles...
StCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17 2013, 12:40 PM   #29
Sean_McCormick
Captain

StCoop wrote: View Post
Sean_McCormick wrote: View Post
When you look through comments on the web, you get far more "Why isn't there a spinoff series already" than "i never want to see them again".
So that'd be a sample of about 0.1% of the total audience?
Pretty much. As i said, this is only my impression. One point, that is always to consider is, that the casual viewers would probably not comment on such specific details, they watch it when they like it and don't, when they don't. People that comment on such things are somewhat invested in the show and can be considered fans and as such the minority of the shows viewer-base.
Sean_McCormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17 2013, 01:41 PM   #30
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Honestly, in terms of the people in real-life with whom I discuss DW and their views on its characters, only one recurring character ever provokes strong views: Jack Harkness. They may prefer Amy to Rose or Donna to Martha but its only online that I ever see people get worked up about any of them. Apart from Jack. One friend refuses to watch TW because of him.