Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Fiction

Fan Fiction Other forums talk about Trek. We make it.

Old November 12 2013, 06:42 AM   #31
Gibraltar
Rear Admiral

Re: UT-TFV: "No Win Scenario"

There's nothing like having someone else show up to test your enemy's defenses while you watch. Keep the phasers charged and make some popcorn, boys and girls!

Great stuff, DarKush!
Old November 14 2013, 01:08 AM   #32
DarKush
Rear Admiral

Gibraltar,

Not everyone likes being spectators.

Battle Lattice
Chakuun ghost ship Deathstroke

The Cohort General’s mind stretched along the psionic network, linking with the rest of the minds and eyes of her immediate subordinates. It was a facsimile of natural Tholian telepathy and took years to master. Only the best among the Chakuun warrior-elite mastered the ability to process and transmit such astronomical levels of information.

With hundreds of eyes she saw both enemy fleets. The minor Starfleet contingent stood idly by, as was their wont, waiting for someone else to finish their battles for them.

If not for the threat posed by the Kothlis’Ka to Tholian borders, the Assembly would have been content to allow the aliens to continue their rampage on to Romulus and probably Earth.

The cohort general could only imagine that the discussion among the Ruling Conclave on Tholia gleeful at the prospect of an alien armada dispatching two nuisances at once. Such thoughts were distaste to a warrior of her ilk. The cohort general preferred to fire and sword to inaction and delegation.

The Chakuun was pleased that the news the Ruling Conclave had learned about the encroaching fleet had rattled them enough to send her out to meet them. The warriors hadn’t unsheathed their blades in many cycles, the last Seltorian revolt being too long for the general’s liking.

The arrival of the Kothlis’Ka were like a gift from on high, and the cohort general intended to honor the war goddess the only way she knew how.

“Attack,” she said and projected mentally, trembling slightly as she watched the thought ripple in a hundred directions.

As one the Chakuun bore down on the Kothlis’Ka.

Main Bridge
USS Empress

“I played with one of those models when I was a kid,” Commander Sheppard said in amazement, as he watched waves of Chakuun starships dive toward the heart of the Kothlis’Ka armada. Trailing them were several waves of Chakuun fighters, which had been belted out of the ghost ship holds.

Captain Erasia watched the green, silver-winged ghost ships in stunned silence. The gods had seemingly answered her prayers. The battle might not be hopeless after all; in fact the intercept group might not have to engage the Kothlis’Ka at all.

“Captain,” Aarti pulled Tan out of her reverie, “Commander Rhizzo is hailing.”

“Audio,” Erasia ordered, not wanting to miss the battle about to begin.

“Captain Erasia,” Rhizzo’s voice was unusually chipper. “I guess the cavalry has arrived.” At that moment the starless void erupted in violent showers of light as the two navies engaged.

“You could say that Commander,” Erasia nodded.

“What are your orders?” The Zakdorn asked.

“We are going to hold position,” Tan said.

“You’re making a joke right?” Rhizzo asked, her voice full of incredulity.

“No, jokes are not in my skill set,” Tan shot back.

“Our odds of success have just multiplied exponentially,” Rhizzo replied. “We have a real chance against the Kothlis’Ka now, thanks to the Chakuun.”

“We don’t know how well the Chakuun will fare against them,” Erasia said.

“Well certainly with our help it will increase their chances,” Rhizzo rejoined.

“And it is possible that the Chakuun can handle the Kothlis’Ka without our assistance,” Tan said cold-bloodedly, “which will leave this taskforce intact and able to complete our mission of exploration and contact.”

“I can’t believe that you would rather have us sit on the sidelines and let the Chakuun fight our battle.” Now derision peppered the disbelief.

“As mission commander my job is to safeguard this group to the best of my abilities,” Erasia answered, “and sending us against the Kothlis’Ka needlessly is not the optimal way to do that.”

“Even to secure justice for the Narcissus?” Rhizzo was now aghast, “What about that?”

“I don’t think adding more casualties to the list is a preferable option,” Erasia replied, “I will not throw away our lives.”

“Perhaps being in Tango Fleet made you gun shy,” the Zakdorn charged, and the accusation stung. Tan’s eyes narrowed and her mouth turned into a slash and a scalding reply boiled on her tongue. But she held it in and pushed back the bile rising in her throat.

“This is our one chance to stop the Kothlis’Ka and I’m not wasting that!” Rhizzo declared.

“Commander!” Erasia snapped.

“Ariane has cut communications,” Aarti said, looking at the captain with an alarmed expression.

“And she has broken formation,” Lt. Quim added.

“On screen,” the captain barked. The view quickly shifted to Ariane angling away from the diamond slot formation. The screen flickered and the lighting brightened minutely.

“Thoron shielding is down %20 percent,” Aarti said next.

“Hail them Aarti,” the captain ordered.

“Ariane is not answering our summons,” the Andorian ops officer said.

Erasia pounded her armrests. “All right then, if she wants to play it rough,” she muttered to herself. More loudly, the captain ordered, “Commander Sheppard, bring up the Ariane’s prefix code.” She would shut the ship down again until the obstreperous Zakdorn saw reason.

Sheppard tapped furiously at his console for several seconds. Eventually he conceded defeat. Looking up at the captain, his features stormy, Sheppard said, “Captain, it appears that Ariane has changed their prefix code.”

“Damn you Rhizzo,” Erasia softly cursed.

“Captain, Ariane has gone to warp!” Aarti announced. “And she’s taking the warp vehicles with her!” The compact Saber-class light cruiser shot past Empress, surrounded by streaking unmanned warp vehicles. They headed toward the battle.

“After the Ariane!” Erasia bellowed. The captain hoped she could catch and disable the quick little cruiser before they got close enough to draw the attention of either the Kothlis’Ka or the Chakuun.

Last edited by DarKush; November 14 2013 at 01:19 AM.
DarKush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14 2013, 07:12 PM   #33
CeJay
Commodore

And just when you thought that maybe this task force had reestablished some unit cohesion this happens.

Personally, I don't believe Rhizzo deserves to wear the uniform. Nobody likes a mindless drone who follows orders at any cost but her antics are endangering this mission and even worse, her own people. Bad captain.

Now with complete United Trek story archive.
CeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2013, 08:19 AM   #34
Gibraltar
Rear Admiral

^ Agreed, she just blew her last chance. Time to revoke her command certification, provided she survives this little suicide run of hers.
Old November 18 2013, 11:21 PM   #35
DarKush
Rear Admiral

CeJay and Gibraltar,

I see neither one of you are in the Commander Rhizzo fan club.

Main Bridge
USS Ariane

“Empress just attempted to override our prefix code,” the Nasgulian Ops officer said with a smug grin. “Bet they’re shocked.” On the viewer screen, aft sensors were showing the larger starship charging after them.

“Damn right,” Commander Rhizzo chuckled. “Captain Erasia wasn’t going to pull that one on us again.”

“Captain,” Lt. Commander Atwell spoke him. His voice was tight and his eyes burned like coals.

Rhizzo tensed, prepared for the rebuke. “What is it Commander?”

“You know I disagree with your actions,” he told her bluntly.

“File a formal complaint,” she shrugged. “I don’t have time for a tantrum.”

“You’re the one to talk,” Atwell retorted, exasperated and disgusted.

“I can have you removed from the bridge,” Rhizzo nodded in the direction of the eager Zileena.

“No,” Atwell shook his head. He placed a hand over his head and shook his head again. Removing the hand, he looked at her squarely, “I don’t like this. But this crew needs me; you need me right now, more than ever.”

“You’re right,” the Zakdorn acknowledged. “Thank you for this.”

Atwell’s expression was stony. “Damn you for it,” was his reply.

Main Bridge
USS K’mpec

“Didn’t we just do this dance several days ago?” Captain Tanaka said aloud. “Hail the Empress. We’ve got to get her to pull back.”

“Empress is not answering our hail,” the Virtili communications officer snappily replied. Tanaka nodded at the avian woman before turning his attention to Lt. Commander Mehita.

He leaned close to her and lowered his voice. “Recommendations?”

“Sir, I think you should pursue the Empress and talk sense into Captain Erasia. It’s too late to sit out this battle now. Even if the Chakuun somehow won it, there is no telling if they won’t turn their fusion casters onto us in the aftermath. One way to lessen that is to give them a helping hand.”

He nodded in agreement. Sitting back in his chair, Tanaka said more loudly, “Helm, lay in an intercept course for the Empress.”

Main Bridge
USS Baltimore

Commander Erean didn’t hide her frustration. “What are your orders Captain?” Thelius didn’t answer immediately.

Instead he pondered the battlefield with the Chakuun lobbing their fusion discharges at the eerily complacent Kothlis’Ka. Explosions illuminated the void. The din was so fierce Thelius couldn’t make out how it was faring for either side. His antennae writhed as his attention switched to the incipient battle brewing between the Empress and the Ariane.

“Commander Rhizzo might be brilliant, but she is also impulsive, rash, and driven by grief,” he surmised. “It’s dampening her talent for strategy.”

“Should we join the Empress?” Erean asked. Clearly it was what the Argelian wanted to do. But Thelius’s antennae lowered in disapproval.

“I think Rhizzo is right in this instance,” Thelius said. “We shouldn’t dither, not in front of both the Chakuun and the Kothlis’Ka. It is likely that the Kothlis’Ka could be persuaded to leave our sector of space, but at worst they’ll be the Romulans’ problem. But now that the Tholians have thrown the Chakuun into the fray, any reports back of our inaction could have serious repercussions with the Tholians. It might embolden them to start another series of expansionist campaigns.”

“I hadn’t thought of that,” Erean admitted.

“That’s why I’m the captain,” Thelius quipped. Turning slightly away from her, he barked, “Helm, best speed into the middle of the firefight.”

Main Bridge
USS Shuttlesworth

Captain Ottah threw up his three hands. He didn’t know what to do. Empress and Ariane were heading toward a confrontation, with K’mpec in hot pursuit. The Edoan didn’t know which side Captain Tanaka would choose. It appeared that Baltimore had abandoned them all to join in with the Chakuun.

“What do we do sir?” Lt. Commander M’Reah asked.

“I wish I was the one asking that question,” Ottah honestly replied, “Instead of having to make the decision.” His head swiveled to take in the debacle. His flesh recoiled at the idea of helping the Chakuun, but he realized that they might be the best chance the intercept group had at surviving the Kothlis’Ka armada.

However he recognized it was suicidal not to join forces with the Chakuun together; united. He had to talk sense into his colleagues.

Ottah directed the Suliban male at the helm to intercept the Empress. “Let’s tackle the small imbroglio before we have to deal with the bigger one,” he said with forced cheer.
Old November 19 2013, 10:22 AM   #36
CeJay
Commodore

Open Rebellion: Part II. But this time ... it's personal.

This is not going to end well, is it?

Old November 19 2013, 11:37 PM   #37
Gibraltar
Rear Admiral

I've never seen a Starfleet task force unravel like this before. The pressures of this mission are testing the mettle of even the most experienced commanders.

Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, dyin' time's here.
Old November 20 2013, 07:03 AM   #38
Galen4
Lieutenant Commander

I can only guess that the cumulative losses of the Dominion War, a second Borg attack and multiple incursions by hostile species all occurring during a period of a few years, have brought out the worst in some officers.

COs who would never break ranks before, are now abandoning the chain of command in a blind panic.

No matter how you slice it, the UT universe has a rocky road ahead of it.

Great stuff as always, Darkush!

All Intrepid stories can be found here:
http://www.adastrafanfic.com/stories...on=viewstories
Galen4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2013, 10:37 PM   #39
DarKush
Rear Admiral

Hey guys,

You'll see that Captain Erasia isn't into having an Open Rebellion Part 3.

Main Bridge
USS Empress

As Empress bore down on Ariane, Captain Erasia hated what she had to say next. “Mr. Quim, target the Ariane’s engines.”

The Arkanian complied. “Fire,” the captain ordered. Golden spears flew from Empress, impacting Ariane’s shields. The tough, little Saber-class was jolted, but quickly resumed course.

“Fire again,” Erasia said. She felt Sheppard’s eyes on her, but she didn’t turn to meet his gaze.

She wasn’t sure what she would find there, and she didn’t want to second-guess herself. Quim let loose on the Ariane again.

“Ariane’s shields are down 10 percent,” Sheppard said.

“She’s still not stopping,” Tan shook her head. “Hit them again, this time with photon torpedoes. Full spread.”

“Captain,” Sheppard’s voice was quiet, but his tone was insistent.

“Not now Commander,” she said, too sharply.

“Captain, K’mpec is heading our way, on an intercept course,” Lt. Aarti informed her.

Erasia shook her head. “It seems that Captain Tanaka has cast his lot with Commander Rhizzo again. Do not alter course. We’ll deal with him later. Fire photon torpedoes, full spread.”

“Belay that order Mr. Quim,” Sheppard said.

Half out of her seat, Erasia whipped around on her first officer. “What did you just do?”

“Captain, such an action could seriously damage the Ariane, and in the middle of a battle with two hostile forces,” Sheppard projected a damnable reasonable tone.

“Don’t you think I am aware of that?” She snapped.

“Of course sir,” Sheppard looked mortified.

“Then don’t countermand my orders again!” She barked. On some level she knew she was taking her frustrations out on Mark, but Erasia also knew that she couldn’t be seen to look any weaker than she had already.

Settling back into her chair, Tan smoothed her ruffled tunic. “You heard me Mr. Quim.”

Battle Lattice
Chakuun ghost ship Deathstroke

The Cohort General demanded tactical reports. They streamed in along the psi-network, through diodes attached to the general’s skull.

The pain was excruciating, and for one timeless moment unbearable. And then all the streams coalesced into manageable information that she could analyze and then formulate war plans.

The battle was proceeding apace. The ghost ships had swept in among the hulking, slow Kothlis’Ka fleet, blasting them with their fusion casters.

So far the alien vessels’ impressive shielding held. It was superior to anything the Chakuun had encountered. But each strike was draining the Kothlis’Ka shielding and soon the vessels would be defenseless; ripe prey.

The general wasn’t overly concerned about their lack of progress thus far. Granted no ships she had ever encountered, in nearly a century of defending the Assembly’s borders, had withstood such a barrage, but so far the Kothlis’Ka had proven more recalcitrant than she had expected.

Perhaps they had heard about the dreaded Chakuun and knew that they would not be as easily defeated as the Nyberrite navy or Starfleet.

A frenzied bolt pulsed into her brain, blinding the general with its brilliance. Squinting against the pain, she regained control. Her heart thudded as she ran the information through her mind, more slowly, and luxuriated on the data.

They had penetrated the shields of one of the smaller Kothlis’Ka vessels. In her mind’s eye she saw it. It was huge by humanoid standards, and dwarfed the ghost ship that had been pounding it. Unlike many of the other vessels it had a rounded hull and two large transparent bulbous windows on each side. Through them the general saw strange-colored, spiky flora but no other signs of life. The ship was powered by three engines in a pyramid configuration at the rear of the ship. So far scans hadn’t revealed what powered the Kothlis’Ka vessels.

“Ships Beta-14, Beta-17, and Beta-30, concentrate your fire on the engines of the unshielded ship,” the general commanded. “On my mark,” she added.

Beta-17 had been the ship that brought down the shield. Now Beta-14 swung into position behind the hapless vessel. Beta-30 did likewise.

She paused, waiting for the Kothlis’Ka to respond. She was expecting them to ask for leniency for their benighted ship.

Her face twitched at a new spike of information. She processed it quickly. Another Kothlis’Ka vessel was lowering its shields and moving toward the alpha ship. Her vessel! The Kothlis’Ka ship was far larger than the vulnerable ship. It had a unique split shell hull design with long, thin struts connecting the upper and lower hulls. Tinier struts ran along the length of both hulls. It made the ship look like a gaping mouth full of sharp fangs.

How did the Kothlis’Ka know her ship was the lead vessel? It looked no different than the others and was similarly in the thick of the alien fleet.

The general’s concern was somewhat mollified by the larger vessel lowering its shield. It was a classic gesture of supplication. The general grinned. It had been far too long before any species had bowed before her.

“Contact the oncoming vessel,” she ordered. “Inform them to submit or we will destroy the other ship.”

“Message transmitted,” her communications officer said. The man’s face was masked by his helmet visor. All of the other Chakuun were in full body armor. Only the cohort general went sans helmet, so she could better integrate with the battle lattice.

After a few quiet seconds, she ordered, “Tell them they have twenty seconds to comply.” The only response the general got was that the approaching vessel stopped. Its thinner connecting struts retracted, revealing a circular orifice in the center of the structure connecting the hulls. Energy tendrils began to flicker from the orifice like tongues.

“Energy readings?” She demanded.

“Our sensors are detecting high electromagnetic radiation, emanating from the opening on that vessel,” the science officer informed her.

“Is it a weapon, of some sort?” The general asked.

The other woman shook her head, “I cannot say Cohort General.”

“Aim our weapons at that vessel, inform all nearby ships to do the same,” the general said, “And contact them once more. Tell the Kothlis’Ka fleet to stand down and that ship in particular to desist or we will fire on them.”

“No reply,” the communication’s officer snappily responded. He didn’t hide the satisfaction in his voice. The foolish young man wanted Kothlis’Ka blood. But while he was sending his entreaty the general had taken stock of the battlefield. Despite all of the energy the Chakuun had expended, only one enemy vessel had lost their shielding.

The battle wasn’t going as well as the communication’s officer and many other Chakuun warriors thought. “Redirect your fire on the incoming vessel,” she ordered her fleet, “fire on my mark.”

The other Chakuun vessels swung into position, powering their fusion casters. The cohort general stared with hundreds of eyes at the fanged vessel bearing down on her, its orifice looking like a gullet preparing to swallow them.

“Electromagnetic readings are building within the Kothlis’Ka ship,” the science officer informed her.

“Mark,” the general didn’t flinch.
Old November 22 2013, 03:17 AM   #40
DarKush
Rear Admiral

Main Bridge
USS K’mpec

“What the hell did she just do?” Captain Tanaka asked, pounding his armrests. The Empress had just unloaded a full salvo against the Ariane. The beleaguered Saber took evasive maneuvers but the barrage was too strong. Eventually, Ariane stopped trying to avoid being hit and turned to face the larger Galaxy-class ship head on. The Saber-class cruiser opened up on the Empress, pelting it with phaser blasts. Fortunately Rhizzo had not turned the warp vehicles on the Empress. They floated idly in space, silent sentinels to the monumental egotism and stupidity on display.

The bigger fight between the Chakuun and the Kothlis’Ka was all but forgotten now. Even Baltimore, swallowed up among the titanic ships, and Shuttlesworth, galloping to catch the K’mpec had been pushed to the back of Kenji’s mind. Tanaka’s focus was solely on his battling compatriots.

“Hail the Empress,” he ordered. Seconds later, the stern visage of Captain Erasia blinked into view.

“Captain Tanaka if you’re not contacting me to inform me that you will help subdue the Ariane, then you’re wasting your time.”

Tanaka didn’t care for the woman’s imperious tone, but he held a retort in check. “I’m asking you Captain to stand down,” he said, “If you do it, I know that Gilma will.”

“Commander Rhizzo has shown me plenty about how reasonable she can be and how much she respects the chain of command,” Erasia scoffed. She paused, looked off screen, and said something unintelligible. Looking back at him, her pale eyes glinted like ice cubes, “It’s a wonder how she made it to command a starship. I’m guessing Captain Landau had amazing pull.”

“That’s unfair,” Tanaka said. “You know her service record.”

“And we also know how eager Starfleet has been to replenish its command ranks since the wars with the Klingons and Dominion, and now the Talarian flare up,” Tan said. “It was doubtless that some bad Levithi nuts got through.”

“Give her another chance,” Tanaka pleaded.

“Perhaps you should be having this conversation with her,” Erasia retorted.

“Captain I think she will follow your lead…this time,” Tanaka added quickly. Erasia’s laugh was mocking.

“Stay on the sidelines,” she warned before ending the communication.

Tanaka was preparing to attempt to reestablish communications with the Empress, when Lt. Retha interrupted.

“Sir, the Shuttlesworth is hailing.”

“On screen,” Tanaka ordered, a tad bit reluctantly. He really wanted another crack at Tan. He had never seen the woman act so stubbornly before.

“Captain Tanaka,” Captain Ottah greeted him.

“Captain,” Kenji nodded tersely.

“I hope we aren’t going to engage in hostilities,” Ottah floated.

“No,” Tanaka glowered, “I think we’ve all made our share of asinine decisions over the last several days. I don’t want to go over my quota.”

“So, what do we do about our colleagues?” Ottah asked. Tanaka thought about trying to state his case again to Erasia, but gave up on the idea. She wanted to teach Rhizzo a lesson and while that might not be a bad thing it wasn’t the optimal time.

Kenji sighed. “Let them tussle. I say we join Thelius. I’ve lost track of him and he might need our help.”

“More likely he’ll need us to pull him out of a messy situation,” the Edoan surmised.

Tanaka’s smile was sour. “Sounds about right,” he nodded, “but doing that is better than watching these two embarrass the Fleet.”

Main Bridge
USS Baltimore

“Great Uzaveh the Infinite,” Captain Thelius gasped in astonishment as the intensity of the ghost ships’ weapons’ fire overwhelmed the main viewscreen. After a few seconds of furious blinking, and a minute of watching the hologrid behind the display, the Andorian had already asked for reports about the barrage.

“Had it worked? Had the Chakuun destroyed the Kothlis’Ka vessel? Had they at least penetrated its shields?” He hurled the questions at his crew.

As they struggled to answer him, the main viewer reactivated and he gasped again. The Kothlis’Ka vessel was listing, with massive perforations in its hull. A cheer went up among the crew, as if they had struck the blow.

“They can be hurt after all,” Lt. F’lk’yn said with heartening confidence. The Xenexian’s purple eyes had a savage gleam in them.

The Chakuun swooped around the vessel like redbats, toying with their food. The other Kothlis’Ka vessels had not responded. Perhaps they are as stunned as I am, Thelius wondered.

The listing vessel slowly righted itself. The Chakuun trained their weapons on it again.

“Arm a tricobalt device,” Thelius ordered. He wanted in on the kill. “And inform the Chakuun that we are here to assist them.”

“I don’t think they need our help,” Commander Erean noted.

“And they might resent us trying to procure some of the spoils,” F’lk’yn added.

“Do it anyway,” Thelius said. “I want the Kothlis’Ka to realize it isn’t only the Chakuun they need to fear this day.”

“No response to our hail,” F’lk’yn said. Thelius frowned. He ordered the ship to move toward the Chakuun anyway. He would dare them to fire on them. Though he had little doubt that the Chakuun could defeat them, he calculated that their masters back on Tholia hadn’t given them license to start a war with the Federation. The Andorian grunted with satisfaction as Baltimore fell in beside one of the Chakuun vessels that now held stationary orbit, encircling the struggling Kothlis’Ka ship.

Thelius didn’t know whether to admire or be chilled by the lack of response from the other alien ships to the vulnerable position of one of their fellows. Perhaps the Kothlis’Ka lived by a survival of the fittest credo?

“Reading a spike in electromagnetic energy from the Kothlis’Ka ship,” the Bijani operations officer said.

“They’re attempting whatever they were attempting before,” Erean reasoned. Thelius nodded in agreement.

“Let’s not give them the chance,” the captain said. “Prepare to fire the tricobalt device at my command.”

“Aye sir,” F’lk’yn was jaunty. He was enjoying this. Conflict was nothing new to his tactical officer. The Xenexians were warriors, like Thelius’s people once had been.

Though he would never admit it, Thelius half expected that F’lk’yn had joined Starfleet to test himself during the war with the Tzenkethi ongoing at the time.

“Intense electromagnetic buildup, emanating from Kothlis’Ka ship,” the operations officer’s voice rose considerably.

“Increase magnification,” Thelius said, wanting to get a closer look. The hull of the alien vessel was literally throbbing, its plating bucking and buckling.

“I think that vessel is undergoing a massive containment breach,” the Bijani said. Erean looked troubled.

“Back us off,” Thelius said, his gut agreeing with the operation’s officer’s guess.

“Chakuun ships are preparing to fire,” F’lk’yn said.

“No,” Thelius muttered. More loudly he said, “Warn them off. Tell them what we speculate.”

“Too late,” F’lk’yn replied. Thelius gasped for the third and last time as he watched the Kothlis’Ka ship rip apart from the inside, the dark energies ravishing it meeting and merging with the Chakuun fusillade, creating a massive shockwave that consumed everything in its path, including the Baltimore.
Old November 22 2013, 07:53 PM   #41
Gibraltar
Rear Admiral

Oh... dear.

That can't be good.
Old November 23 2013, 04:32 AM   #42
admiralelm11
Lieutenant Commander

Send a message via AIM to admiralelm11

Holy crap, that's quite the situation that has unfolded. When does it end with them laughing over it at Quark's?
Old November 24 2013, 02:16 PM   #43
CeJay
Commodore

I wonder if anyone's left to pick up the pieces ...

Old November 28 2013, 11:53 PM   #44
DarKush
Rear Admiral

Happy Thanksgiving everyone,

To your comments, no it's not good and unfortunately for most in involved there aren't going to be any reminiscences at Quark's.

Main Bridge
USS Ariane

Commander Rhizzo grabbed her armrests as the compact ship dove underneath a volley from the Empress. What the Saber lacked in size and firepower, it made up for in speed and maneuverability.

“Pattern kappa 010,” Rhizzo ordered. Zileena worked in conjunction with the helm to execute the attack maneuver. The Zaranite lobbed several quick punches into the Galaxy’s secondary hull before rolling away from their returning fire.

“I can do this all day,” Rhizzo muttered. She wished a communications line had been open so she could’ve made the boast to Captain Erasia.

“But we shouldn’t,” Lt. Commander Atwell had leaned forward and was speaking quietly to her. “It seems that Captain Erasia has become as insistent on throwing away her career as you have.”

“I’m trying to prevent greater loss of life by showing the Kothlis’Ka we have resolve,” Rhizzo shot back. “The last thing we need is another Dominion, testing our resolve and finding us lacking enough to initiate a larger war.”

“And what kind of impression do you think breaking formation and getting into a tussle with the Empress is showing them?” Atwell wouldn’t back down. “It’s showing them that we are undisciplined, that we are irresolute.”

“I’ll do whatever it takes to defend the Federation!” The Zakdorn snarled.

“Then stop this insane battle,” Atwell pleaded.

“Captain,” Ops Officer Vidula interceded, “The K’mpec and Shuttlesworth have broken away and are headed toward the ongoing battle between the Chakuun and the Kothlis’Ka armada.”

“Which is where we should be going,” Atwell added.

“Maybe that’s one way to get Captain Erasia to fight the real enemy,” Rhizzo grinned. “If we have to drag her kicking and screaming into the maw of our adversaries that’s just what we’ll do.”

Main Bridge
USS Empress

Captain Erasia had just sat upright, after the salvo from the Ariane had knocked her against one side of her command chair, when Commander Sheppard piped up.

“Ariane is disengaging,” the Brit said, “And is now following Shuttlesworth and K’mpec.”

“It appears that Commander Rhizzo is giving up the fight,” a relieved Chief Thav said from the aft engineering console.

“No,” Tan shook her head. “She’s just trying to draw me into the bigger battle.” The Efrosian’s face contorted with disgust. “How insufferable she is, to think she can force my hand this way.”

“Maybe she has a point,” Commander Sheppard suggested. Tan’s gaze was hotter than plasma.

“Elaborate,” she ordered; her voice even frigid enough to make her shiver. The first officer paused, collecting his thoughts and doubtlessly carefully selecting his words.

“Sir,” he began and then stopped. Another recalculation, “Perhaps we have…gotten confused about who the real enemy is here.”

“What do you mean by that?” She snapped.

“Commander Rhizzo’s actions had to be addressed,” he conceded, “but I think you’ve sent the appropriate message. Now it appears that she is back to supporting the other taskforce members.”

“How long is that going to last?” Tan demanded. “She’s too much of a wildcard.”

“I don’t deny that,” Sheppard said, “I mean, really no one can after her behavior these past several days. But maybe a wildcard is exactly what we need right now.”

“I don’t follow,” Erasia replied.

“We are grossly outnumbered and we can’t be sure yet if the Chakuun will be on our side or not,” the first officer pointed out. “Being unpredictable, throwing out the rule book, might just be the thing that saves us.”

“Commander Sheppard might be right,” Thav said, “I mean, there’s nothing in the rule book to address this situation.”

Tan pushed up from her seat so that she could turn around and look her old friend in the eye. “Not you as well.”

The thickset Andorian shrugged, “I don’t see how dropping this hatchet will make things any worse.”

“I think you mean burying,” Sheppard piped up.

“Excuse me?” Thav asked and the captain looked askance.

“Never mind,” the first officer said, “It’s a human thing.” Thav laughed.

“Humans,” he muttered, shaking his head. The captain smiled sympathetically.

“Let’s join the rest of our taskforce,” Tan said, “We’ll deal with Rhizzo later.” The captain felt the tension ease on the bridge with her proclamation. Her crew would much rather be facing the Kothlis’Ka than each other.

Erasia sat back down, tugging her tunic as she did so. She had to admit that an albatross had been lifted from around her neck. One that had been placed on her neck by Commander Rhizzo and one removed from it…at least for now.

That didn’t sit too well with her. While contemplating that sad state of affairs, Erasia ordered the helm to pursue the Ariane, but this time in the spirit of amity.
Old November 29 2013, 11:07 AM   #45
admiralelm11
Lieutenant Commander

Send a message via AIM to admiralelm11

I suddenly feel like we're gonna see a court martial at some point. Or an admiral chewing out someone. Great work, Darkush!