What's the beef with Chakotay?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by SignGuyHPW, Oct 13, 2013.

1. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Chakotay had a peyote machine that induced visions without narcotics.

2. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Is everyone in the future so uninterested in getting high that having one of these machines is just something weirdo religions do? Or perhaps it really isn't very pleasant.. then again I remember reading Carlos Casteneda which my mother thought was some spiritual revelation and thinking it sounded like absolute shit.

3. Guy Gardener

Worf forced visions by fasting for days... Mushrooms would save so much time.

4. Captain Kathryn

Captain Kathryn Commodore Commodore

I am a Janeway/Chakotay shipper.

However Chakotay by himself is pretty drab. Anytime he does finally talk or say something "interesting" it's always about "his people" or his religion (if you want to call it that?).

I think that combined with Janeway, she brings out some awesomeness in him though.

However, again, by himself...meh.

5. Captain Kathryn

Captain Kathryn Commodore Commodore

Gah I love your new avatar! :D

6. jibrilmudo

jibrilmudo Lieutenant Red Shirt

He goes nowhere. Early on is the Jane crush he has that just kinda disappears. And that Indian animal guide stuff that never seems to have a point and just disappears. Then that boxing stuff. I think there were 2 seperate throw away eps of him being a soldier on some alien world for whatever reason. Then the throwaway 7 romance that had no buildup.

He's just not interesting, nor does he counterbalance Janeway in any meaningful way (7 did a better job at that). He's just there. He's an older and higher ranking Harry Kim.

If you want a crazy unorthodox (slightly nutty) Captain Janeway, then coldly logical Tuvok would have been her balance and should have been her 2nd in command.
    If you want a coldly practical (Tuvix killing) Captain Janeway, then a stronger-written, compassionate Maquis ideologue animal spirit following Chakotay would have been her balance.

As it happened, Janeway was inconsistent, and there was no initiative for a balance. He's a character that could be completely written out and nothing much would have changed or been missed.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2013
  7. teacake

I wish that Seska baby had been his, at least it would have injected him with a little angst. Even if we never saw it due to bad acting we would have known it was there.

8. teacake

I wish that Seska baby had been his, at least it would have injected him with a little angst. Even if we never saw it due to bad acting we would have known it was there.

9. jibrilmudo

jibrilmudo Lieutenant Red Shirt

Seska would have been an interesting second in command, double dealing behind Janeway's back -- not necessarily stabbing her in the back, just making things go smoothly when the offical Star Fleet sanctioned action wouldn't have gotten the job done. Trade some tech here and there discreetly for resources... the captain would never have to know why the Kazon became so accomodating all of a sudden... well, until the day came that one of her deals bites everyone in the ass.

Cardassians (Garak, Gul Dukat) are the most interesting race in that regard.

10. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

After Seska was revealed as a Cardassian, she should've stayed onboard Voyager. It would've been a great source of tension among the crew and we would've gotten to see Martha Hackett on a more regular basis--which is nice.

They could've had Michael Jonas as the one who betrayed the ship and was working from within with the Kazon in order to remove Starfleet from command, so that the Maquis could take over. He is then betrayed by Cullah and murdered during the invasion then, instead of Suder, Seska is the one who sneaks around the ship and manages to retake it (though hopefully not dying in the process).

She could have then been a constant thorn in Chakotay's side, a reminder that he let her get close to him and pull the wool over his eyes. That kinda betrayal has got to emote some kind of response from him...you'd hope.

11. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

What about that scene in Learning Curve where he punches that guy because it's GRR THE MAQUIS WAY OF DOING THINGS? Yeah, the Voyager writers seemed like they didn't even watch the Maquis episodes of DS9 and treated them like they were a bunch of thugs. But yes, the Maquis are not just violent thugs, they are strongly opinionated people who feel abandoned by the Federation. Like Sisko's old buddy, or Eddington. For that to work, Chakotay would have needed to have strong philosophical views and opinions. Chakotay never expressed an opinion once in the series, other than in Equinox.

And yeah, the Native American aspect, which they explored by making him grow up in the one tribe in the world that's still living in the jungle shunning modernity. Way to fight racial stereotypes.

12. Kadratis

Kadratis Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I imagine that Beltran probably saw the show as a decent source of income for seven years.

13. Guy Gardener

I wonder how often Vagina Maddsen arrived and told his "Then" girlfriend to get lost.

That would be madness, all these women on Voyager having absolutely no idea why they broke up with Chakotay when they thought that everything was fine, and suddenly it's a week later and they feel emotionally turned around.

It'd be just like that Drew Barrymore Movie 50 First Dates.

14. teacake

Drew Barrymore is extremely hot. Especially when she was fatter.

Anyway what exactly has Beltran done since this TERRIBLE show he was so bored being locked into doing for seven years?

15. dub

dub Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

He's been on a vision quest since 2001. Please stand by.

16. Guy Gardener

Drew Barrymore is incredibly beautiful, in just the right light, which she can never quite find.

17. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

^ I suspect she found the right light when she danced on David Letterman's desk and flashed her breasts at him.

18. Guy Gardener

In her defence, it was his birthday.

19. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Yeah, she keeps failing to show up for mine. Guess I need a TV show first.

20. Guy Gardener