Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack

Horse 1, Shatner 0

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old October 15 2013, 12:51 AM   #16
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy
Re: How do I start my roommate on Star Trek?

Has your roommate seen the Abrams films? If he liked "Avengers," he might like nuTrek. Or even "TWOK" or "TUC." Some cinematic Trek might be a good gateway to TV Trek.
Old October 15 2013, 01:38 AM   #17
Timewalker
Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady

Jimmy_C wrote: View Post
I pretty much love Star Trek. My roommate; however, is kinda scared to watch it.

He hasn't seen much science fiction before I moved into the apartment. However, when I got him to watch the new Battlestar Galatica, my roommate got hooked and loved it (except he hated the last episode)! Besides BSG, my roommate liked the new Avengers movie, loved how fun Pacific Rim was, but hated Elysium. He just saw Star Wars for the first time a few weeks ago too.

I'm not sure which episodes or series to start him off with. He doesn't like action that much; and he loves literature. However, he dislikes technobable and the "geeky" parts of sci-fi. Which episodes do you guys and gals recommend?
Does your roommate have any favorite actors/actresses? Maybe a few have been guest stars on various Trek episodes, or maybe regulars. My first experience of watching Patrick Stewart had nothing to do with Star Trek or the movies he was in. To me he will always be Lucius Aelius Sejanus, one of the villains of the I, Claudius series. He made a very good villain, and so when I found out he was going to be the captain in TNG, I had to watch it.

For someone into literature, I'd go with the episodes that deal with Shakespearean themes. The first obvious choice would be "Conscience of the King" - after all there is an actual play being performed, and some of Kirk's pre-Starfleet backstory is revealed. There's no technobabble, and it's very much a morality play.

Same with "City on the Edge of Forever." That's the ultimate "Kirk makes a decision" episode where it truly is a no-win scenario. Either way, something/someone precious will be irretrievably lost.

teacock wrote: View Post
The "geeky" parts? Like the science?

Deep Space Nine.
Except for when Bashir does medical research, I don't remember a lot of actual science going on in that series.

Ghost of Tuvix wrote: View Post
Hm...I would say DS9. It's the least...technobabbly? I guess?
It also requires a willingness to watch story arcs, in the proper order. That's why I gave up on the series close to the end. I'd missed several episodes and was lost amid all the Dominion War stuff and the Bajoran religion stuff (although I was happy to see the end of Jadzia Dax).

Introducing someone to a TV show is best when they don't need a ton of backstory to figure out what's going on.

For some great Original Series fanfic, check out the Valjiir Continuum!
Timewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2013, 02:03 AM   #18
CommishSleer
Fleet Captain

View CommishSleer's Twitter Profile

I'm going to be a bit controversial here. Yesterday I was watching the excellent "The Inner Light' but noticed how very 80s it was and not in a good way.

I'm a long-time fan so can overlook these things but in introducing Star Trek I'd avoid TOS and TNG at first. I might start at VOY or DS9 though DS9 requires too much time invested at first. I think you can get the gist of VOY without watching the initial episodes.
The blah blah initial episodes of ENT might be off-putting too. If I were to show ENT I'd probably start at the Xindi-arc
CommishSleer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2013, 03:54 AM   #19
Timewalker

So you would introduce someone to Star Trek and ignore how the whole thing started?

Old October 15 2013, 04:55 AM   #20
R. Star
Rear Admiral

TOS is the foundation upon which bigger and better things were built upon.
Old October 15 2013, 05:22 AM   #21
Timewalker

I will concede the bigger, but not necessarily better.

Old October 15 2013, 05:36 AM   #22
Trek_princess
Lieutenant Commander

I agree with a lot of what has already been said. Show an episode based on what your roommate already likes, maybe pick an episode with an actor he likes, etc. I wouldn't show him a really silly episode to start off with; Trouble with Tribbles would be good, but probably not something like Spock's Brain unless he's into camp.

Also, it probably isn't a good idea to show an episode with a whole lot of complicated back story; if your friend is overwhelmed or confused (or bored), then he might not want to watch any more.
Old October 15 2013, 06:20 AM   #23
CommishSleer
Fleet Captain

View CommishSleer's Twitter Profile

Timewalker wrote: View Post
So you would introduce someone to Star Trek and ignore how the whole thing started?
Look people are shallow. I speak about my husband specifically here. He wants to see the new special effects and whizz bangery.
He goes look at the hair in TNG or look at the special effects in TOS and that guy with the yellow eyes and says that obviously a person - he's got wrinkles, and laughs.
Once we reel him in (with the pretty lights) he'll eventually want stories with depth. OK he's not all that shallow so maybe he'll like some of the older shows.
At least thats my opinion. It really depends on the room-mates
CommishSleer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2013, 06:42 AM   #24
Timewalker

Yeah, sometimes you have to go with what works. The way I got a couple of friends to sit down and watch all 13 episodes of I, Claudius was by asking them if they wanted to see Captain Picard with hair and wearing a "Roman miniskirt". Their reaction was "YEAH!!! "

Of course they had to see the episodes that came previous to Stewart's, since otherwise the story wouldn't make much sense. Then we got bogged down in an argument over whether all of Jesus' life happened between 1 BC and 1 AD (after I mentioned that Augustus had died in 14 AD, the Crucifixion happened during Tiberius' reign, and she claimed the math didn't add up...).

Old October 15 2013, 01:39 PM   #25
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

The Umbrella Corporation wrote: View Post
I'm a long-time fan so can overlook these things but in introducing Star Trek I'd avoid TOS and TNG at first. I might start at VOY or DS9 though DS9 requires too much time invested at first. I think you can get the gist of VOY without watching the initial episodes.
The blah blah initial episodes of ENT might be off-putting too. If I were to show ENT I'd probably start at the Xindi-arc
I would not start someone off with VOY, its a decent idea badly executed. Janeway is irregularly written, Chakotay is a bore, Tuvok is underused, Paris is sort of just 'meh', Torres was never properly used, Kim was a bigger bore than Chakotay, the EMH hams everything up, Neelix is irritating, Kes never had a chance, and Seven dominated the series (and not in a good way).

ENT is also another series I'd avoid introducing someone to Trek, even with the vast improvements made in S3/4.

Though it may look dated, you kinda need to start with TOS, be sure to put the series in its proper context though. Then go onto the movies and series from there.
Old October 15 2013, 03:48 PM   #26
anh165
Commander

Introducing someone to a TV show is best when they don't need a ton of backstory to figure out what's going on.
The problem with DS9 is their fanbase like it for all the different reasons, it ought to have been its own regressive themed wartime in space TV series. A bit like Babylon 5 I guess.

Trek in its most accessible glory is with TOS, 1 hour episodes that give you sci fi, action, adventure - if a new viewer can enjoy or atleast tolerate TOS for all its strengths and weaknesses then they can watch another rather than be forced to put up with Klingon blood honor one week, and cheesy banter between Quark and Odo on another.
Old October 19 2013, 08:20 PM   #27
2takesfrakes
Commodore

Put on STAR TREK and the image sells ...
2takesfrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2013, 09:30 PM   #28
Johnny Rico
Rear Admiral

View Johnny Rico's Twitter Profile

Jimmy_C wrote: View Post
I pretty much love Star Trek. My roommate; however, is kinda scared to watch it.

He hasn't seen much science fiction before I moved into the apartment. However, when I got him to watch the new Battlestar Galatica, my roommate got hooked and loved it (except he hated the last episode)! Besides BSG, my roommate liked the new Avengers movie, loved how fun Pacific Rim was, but hated Elysium. He just saw Star Wars for the first time a few weeks ago too.

I'm not sure which episodes or series to start him off with. He doesn't like action that much; and he loves literature. However, he dislikes technobable and the "geeky" parts of sci-fi. Which episodes do you guys and gals recommend?
Wait? What? He doesn't like Action, and Science "technobabble"? But he loves Literature? Is he gay?

Sci-Fi Action is my favorite genres of all time. Most of my movie/TV collection is a mixture of those two genres.

If he doesn't like the science or the action aspect of any of these, it's hard to see how he could enjoy any sci-fi action. The only reason why he got into BSG is the human drama of it all. It was more or less a soap opera set in space.

But why would he be scared to watch sci-fi? Is he afraid to learn something?
Johnny Rico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20 2013, 01:36 AM   #29
Misfit Toy
Caped Trek Mod

Johnny Rico wrote: View Post
Wait? What? He doesn't like Action, and Science "technobabble"? But he loves Literature? Is he gay?
I thought you were past making this kind of trolling comment - I guess not. Infraction for trolling - any relevant comments regarding this action may be addressed via PM.
Old October 20 2013, 02:00 AM   #30
Timewalker

anh165 wrote: View Post

The problem with DS9 is their fanbase like it for all the different reasons, it ought to have been its own regressive themed wartime in space TV series. A bit like Babylon 5 I guess.

Trek in its most accessible glory is with TOS, 1 hour episodes that give you sci fi, action, adventure - if a new viewer can enjoy or atleast tolerate TOS for all its strengths and weaknesses then they can watch another rather than be forced to put up with Klingon blood honor one week, and cheesy banter between Quark and Odo on another.
All I can go by is my own experiences. My very first ST episode ever was "By Any Other Name", back in 1975. TAS wasn't available in my area at the time, so I had limited options. I remember not wanting to watch ST at the time - I thought it was stupid (a guy with pointed ears? Come on!), but my grandfather told me to sit down, shut up, and watch - or leave. So I stayed, and by the end of the episode, I figured, "Hey, this wasn't so bad after all."

I watched some more episodes - they were on 5 days a week, and I had the choice of 4:30 from Calgary or 5:00 from Edmonton. As a result, it took a couple of years before I finally got to see the first half of "Conscience of the King". It's a good thing the show wasn't serialized or full of arcs, since the episodes were shown pretty much at random. I'd have given up in frustration and never even cared about constantly missing the first half of one of them.

The thing is, back then there really weren't very many serialized shows that weren't soaps. Soaps, I understand. Some storylines take decades to play out, which is why I went on a crash course of General Hospital this summer and watched about 3 years' worth in 4 months. There were so many references to past characters and events in the current storylines, I was getting rather lost.

I never saw Babylon 5 until it was in reruns (mainly because the local channel that aired it kept moving it all over the place and I gave up trying to keep up). But when I finally was able to see the whole series - in the proper order - I really enjoyed it.

If you're trying to interest someone in your favorite TV show - and it's serialized (or at least contains various story arcs), it's important to be able to show the episodes in order and have them available. It saves a lot of time that would otherwise be spent answering questions!