Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old October 12 2013, 10:53 AM   #16
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: Bob Orci: Spoke with CBS about returning Trek To TV

I think it would be awesome and fresh!

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2013, 12:37 PM   #17
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

Oso Blanco wrote: View Post
Or something entirely different, like a show set on Earth. Maybe dealing with politics and diplomatic stuff.
Zzzzzzzzz
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2013, 12:42 PM   #18
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

BigJake wrote: View Post
Those of us who don't care for his interpretation...
You'd at least know how many of us felt during the last decade plus of Modern Trek.

I hope they won't recast the crew yet again. I'd be happy about a show with a different crew on a different ship, maybe with occasional guest appearences from the Enterprise crew. Or something entirely different, like a show set on Earth. Maybe dealing with politics and diplomatic stuff. That would also make the show a little more affordable in regards of special effects.
Nothing will kill the franchise quicker than trying to turn it into a futuristic West Wing. It's Star Trek, it should be about big heroes and cool spaceships.

teacock wrote: View Post

Captain Sulu!

CHO CHO CHO CHO CHO CHO CHO CHO
I think I'd be very happy with John Cho heading up a series. As much as I liked George Takei, I don't think he had the chops to be a series lead.
Old October 12 2013, 03:25 PM   #19
austen_pierce
Commander

My vote is no.

First and foremost a decision needs to be made as to the target audience of a TV series. All other direction descends from this. The NuTrek movies were directed at general audiences with the frequent nods to Trek fans. Translating this formula to TV is extremely difficult, mainly because general audiences have plenty of action and drama available outside of science fiction. I can't see CBS giving prime time to shows generally aired on lower tier networks like TBS, SyFy, etc. Superatural drama has made some headway here but not onto the major networks, not for prime time.

Recasting Enterprise crew now would muddle the fan base. "Who is the real James Kirk?" Snooze rest, plus, if they're thinking 5 year mission, I'd be VERY interested to hear how they'll avoid the mundane writing and 'been there before' approach that doomed Archer's Enterprise. Otherwise I only see this as the first best way to KILL NuTrek.

I don't believe the movie cast would agree to a TV series. Why not test the waters with a made for TV movie or 5 episode mini series? Let the ratings dictate whether a full run would work. Budget for this could be better too.

NuTrek Animated: this would be for hard core trek fans only and/or kids. I don't see this as a mainstream audience winner. Do we really want Trek for kids (Clone Wars)? I don't. LEGO Star Trek? Watching the LEGO Star Wars eps is good for laughs but doesn't move the franchise forward. It IS mainstream audience focused though.

The question boils down to how Trek will fare over the next two to five years as Star Wars returns in a BIG way. Relegating Trek back to TV will do exactly that, relegate the franchise to a secondary delivery channel. I think he better move is to keep Trek where it is, competitive on the big screen. Audiences WILL shell out for tickets to BOTH Star Wars AND Star Trek provided the two DON'T open the same weekend (or the same month).
austen_pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2013, 03:27 PM   #20
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

Or something entirely different, like a show set on Earth.
Because if there's one thing the franchise hasn't given us enough of lately, it's Earth.
Old October 12 2013, 04:04 PM   #21
ComicGuy89
Lieutenant Commander

austen_pierce wrote: View Post
NuTrek Animated: this would be for hard core trek fans only and/or kids. I don't see this as a mainstream audience winner. Do we really want Trek for kids (Clone Wars)? I don't. LEGO Star Trek? Watching the LEGO Star Wars eps is good for laughs but doesn't move the franchise forward. It IS mainstream audience focused though.
Have you seen The Clone Wars though? Don't let first appearances fool you, that show has produced some of the most noteworthy Star Wars stories in recent years. In my opinion, it's definitely the best Star Wars has had on the small screen. It's not just kids' stuff either, some episodes handle material the movies shied away from.

If Star Trek were to take that route, yes, it will be aimed at kids and their income will come chiefly from kids and not the mainstream audience, but that's not entirely a bad thing. Furthermore by aiming it at kids, it can supplement the movies instead of, as you say, relegating Trek back to a secondary delivery channel. Trek fans, if they are open minded enough, will get amazing stories while kids get a nice action packed series. Mainstream audiences may tune out, but they have the movies to please them.

If they do Animated though, I hope Orci and Kurtzman learned a bit from Transformers Prime and fix some of the mistakes made on the show. It was very ambitious and dark, but lost a bit of its direction midway through. Still a good effort though.
ComicGuy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2013, 04:16 PM   #22
BigJake
Commodore

BillJ wrote: View Post
You'd at least know how many of us felt during the last decade plus of Modern Trek.
You should have figured out some time ago that I'm not a defender of the last decade plus of Modern Trek -- since I've actually told you so in so many words multiple times -- but whatevs.

(Recruiting for a Where No Man Has Gone Before play-by-post RP. Check it out!)
BigJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2013, 04:29 PM   #23
Balrog
Commodore

I love the idea of an animated series. I'd also love to see a TNG live action reboot series. A recast of TNG in the new universe would be awesome.
Old October 12 2013, 04:35 PM   #24
BigJake
Commodore

I'm glad to see the interest in an animated series. Not sure I understand why it would necessarily have to be primarily kid-focused -- didn't The Simpsons family atomics blow a hole in the mainstream-market shield wall like, way back in the forties or something? -- but I'm not fussed either way.

(Recruiting for a Where No Man Has Gone Before play-by-post RP. Check it out!)
BigJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2013, 04:42 PM   #25
SeerSGB
Admiral

C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
I hope they won't recast the crew yet again.
I think we're about ten years from that happening no matter what.
SeerSBG wrote:
If Orci is heading up a show, I'd put a wager on him doing what he did with the Transformers Live Action Franchise
I'd actually wager on it being a computer-animated series in the same style of the recently concluded Transformers: Prime (Orci served as exec producer on that show along with his buddy Kurtzman). It'd be a way lot cheaper than a doing a live-action series and could be used to bring more kids into Trek, IMO. It'd also have a lot of kid-oriented merchandising potential too.
Which is what I said and linked to:

SeerSGB wrote: View Post
If Orci is heading up a show, I'd put a wager on him doing what he did with the Transformers Live Action Franchise: Live Action to CGI Animated series.
ComicGuy89 wrote: View Post
austen_pierce wrote: View Post
Have you seen The Clone Wars though? Don't let first appearances fool you, that show has produced some of the most noteworthy Star Wars stories in recent years. In my opinion, it's definitely the best Star Wars has had on the small screen. It's not just kids' stuff either, some episodes handle material the movies shied away from.

If Star Trek were to take that route, yes, it will be aimed at kids and their income will come chiefly from kids and not the mainstream audience, but that's not entirely a bad thing. Furthermore by aiming it at kids, it can supplement the movies instead of, as you say, relegating Trek back to a secondary delivery channel. Trek fans, if they are open minded enough, will get amazing stories while kids get a nice action packed series. Mainstream audiences may tune out, but they have the movies to please them.

If they do Animated though, I hope Orci and Kurtzman learned a bit from Transformers Prime and fix some of the mistakes made on the show. It was very ambitious and dark, but lost a bit of its direction midway through. Still a good effort though.
Yeah, one of the chief complaints about TF:Prime was that it wasn't aimed mainly at kids. Orci & Co. aimed for the live-action and Fall of Cybertron fanbase and made it a bit more Young Adult to College age in on their target. And made one of the best Transformers series in a long time. But, yeah, they lost the focus of the story: shifting the focus of the series to often and bringing in to many new characters. From what I was reading last spring, the next series will be more "kid and family friendly".

Clone Wars routinely got bitched at for making Star Wars not kid friendly. A result of ranging their episodes from very kid friendly to serious and violent. Fans loved Clone Wars (choke a fucker for information and knife a terrorist in the back) Anakin, a lot of parents didn't.

Give me a Star Trek animated serious on par with TFP or CW and I'll be happy.

Last edited by SeerSGB; October 12 2013 at 04:53 PM.
SeerSGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2013, 04:49 PM   #26
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

If we get a new series, I want it to focus on either a Kirk and Spock five-year mission or young Picard in command of the Stargazer.

Runner up would be a Captain Sulu series starring John Cho.
Old October 12 2013, 04:53 PM   #27
ComicGuy89
Lieutenant Commander

BigJake wrote: View Post
I'm glad to see the interest in an animated series. Not sure I understand why it would necessarily have to be primarily kid-focused -- didn't The Simpsons family atomics blow a hole in the mainstream-market shield wall like, way back in the forties or something? -- but I'm not fussed either way.
The Simpsons spawned its own genre of adult-oriented comedy animation, but unfortunately, that's about as mainstream as you can get for animation.

In recent years animation has found a nice niche where the show can be ostensibly aimed at kids yet have a lot to offer for adults. A good example is Pixar, whose movies are definitely kid-friendly yet mature. And as I said before, Star Wars: The Clone Wars tackled subject material far more mature than the movies themselves, and they managed to disguise all this under a PG rating.
ComicGuy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2013, 05:18 PM   #28
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

I hope they won't recast the crew yet again.
SeerSGB wrote:
If Orci is heading up a show, I'd put a wager on him doing what he did with the Transformers Live Action Franchise
I'd actually wager on it being a computer-animated series in the same style of the recently concluded Transformers: Prime (Orci served as exec producer on that show along with his buddy Kurtzman). It'd be a way lot cheaper than a doing a live-action series and could be used to bring more kids into Trek, IMO. It'd also have a lot of kid-oriented merchandising potential too.
Actually, what you said was "If Orci is heading up a show, I'd put a wager on him doing what he did with the Transformers Live Action Franchise."

I wasn't commenting on what Orci was doing with the Transformers live action franchise (the less said about that the better), just the animated series Prime Orci was involved with as an exec producer.
BigJake wrote:
"Kid-friendly" or even "aimed at kids" doesn't always mean "just for kids." Shows like Green Lantern: The Animated Series and even The Clone Wars can be considered kid-friendly, but they also dealt with topics such as love, tragedy, and death when their stories required them.
Old October 12 2013, 05:58 PM   #29
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Actually, what you said was "If Orci is heading up a show, I'd put a wager on him doing what he did with the Transformers Live Action Franchise."

I wasn't commenting on what Orci was doing with the Transformers live action franchise (the less said about that the better), just the animated series Prime Orci was involved with as an exec producer.
BigJake wrote:
"Kid-friendly" or even "aimed at kids" doesn't always mean "just for kids." Shows like Green Lantern: The Animated Series and even The Clone Wars can be considered kid-friendly, but they also dealt with topics such as love, tragedy, and death when their stories required them.
Because kids at that age never deal with love, tragedy and death.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2013, 06:49 PM   #30
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

^^^